What set you on this journey?

Options
2»

Replies

• Karleyyy
    Karleyyy Posts: 857
    Options
    Oh yeah, and my arm fat.

And the fear of a high BMI leading to heart disease.

Plus, I want my mom to love me.

She should love you anyway.
  • 323felicity
    Options
    I went clothes shopping recently and hadn't realized how icky my body was looking (after being covered up all winter). I think I'm finally going to stay consistent in losing my baby weight...fyi that baby is three years old now, I think its about time I did something about it!
  • jene77
    jene77 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My youngest daughter is 5 and she told me one day that I had a big tummy. That comment changed my life! I just love how blunt kids can be lol, the truth hurts. :embarassed: But I needed to hear it.
  • vette49
    vette49 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    For me it was being put on high blood pressure meds and asprin to prevent strokes, that was quiet a wake up call.
  • krisvtx8777
    krisvtx8777 Posts: 163
    Options
    I saw a beautiful family pic taken on the beach, only to see me- "mom" in the pic looking terribly UNhealthy. My arms exposed and looked like they were exploding like the skin couldn't get any bigger. I just looked awful. I wouldn't ever show this pic to anyone (and I was so embarrassed about that because my family looked so great in it-I just looked terrible)

I decided that I could keep trying to "lose weight" like I did so many times or I could attempt to "get healthy", I decided I had to get it in my head that this wasn't about vanity any longer. I was looking at a picture of a very overweight and unhealthy mom of three kids.

And EVERYDAY I REMINDED myself that I spent the last 13+ year OVER weight, so why should I be in a hurry to lose it ALL so fast. (I always gave up after a week or two before because it was too slow) My focus became "what is something new I can try this week" A new healthy recipe....a new exercise dvd....and then it just became my new habits...I keep looking for new ideas to keep the weight coming off and keep me focused on being healthy.
  • happymom1197
    Options
    Turning 30 did it for me. I want to live my life with joy and purpose. I want to teach my children and everyone around me what living is really about. If u don't have your health, who do u blame? If u r fat, who do u blame? If your children don't want to run or eat food that is good for them, who do u blame? I will try to be a good example on my road to "healthy". :)
  • ybba12490
    ybba12490 Posts: 252
    Options
    I can't even wear jeans and a t-shirt without seeing a huge belly roll! I just want to wear normal clothes instead of nike shorts and t-shirts everyday. I also hate this newfound back fat... no idea where it came from! I have always have a tummy and I just want to be confident in showing my belly
  • tracywba
    tracywba Posts: 21
    Options
    Pretty much all of the above...but my bingo wings (arm fat) are one major reason. I hate my arms so much that I will no longer wear short sleeves !!!! So I have made the choice to see this through. This is absolutely the last time I am going to need to loose weight
  • fatlass70
    fatlass70 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    A renewed committment!

In my teens I was always a slender thing and could eat and drink what ever I liked without gainng weight. When I went to uni (now more than 20 years ago!!) I started to put weight on going from a UK size 8 to a 12. I travelled for a while after Uni and a couple of bouts of dysentry soon lost the extra lbs (lol!!).

I came home and was back in my size 8-10 clothes and all was lloking good, I had a lovely boyfriend and a good job and we were settling down. Working meant I was more sedentary in my life and the settling down lead to cosy nights in front of the telly with a bottle of wine and a takeaway or a nice down the pub with friends. Soon the weight was back and I was now up to a UK size 14. Fastforward 10-15 years and I hadn't got round to losing weight but it was a concern. I had married my lovely boyfriend and we bought our first place together and had started on our family.

My eldest daughter provided me with a great inspiration - I didn't want to be the fat mum at the school gates so I joined Slimming World and lost 2.5 stones (35lbs) and was feeling great. Then i fell pregnant again and stupidly decided that I wouldn't worry about what I ate as I now knew I could be determined and lose weight - afterall I had proved it!

Last year I turned 40 and I been telling myself that I wouldn't be fat and 40 - but then I was! It got to Christmas and I decided that the new year was going to be my new start and that I was going to make changes that I could live with and maintain. Three months on I am still here on my journey, typically losing weight each week but not every week and still motivated. The support and encouragement I have from you guys daily is making such a difference - thanks!

So to answer your original question what set me on this journey - I think the answer for me is a coming together of a number of factors, turning 40, having 2 gorgeous kids who need a mum who has energy and is fun, and finally finding the committment to get started!! Sorry it took me so long to explain this!
  • kristiek7
    kristiek7 Posts: 198
    Options
    having battled and nearly died from an ED for 10 yrs and got that under control......but weight started to pile on, for sure due to my messed up metabolism.......I was terrified that I would start back using my 'past ways' to deal with it............but I took one look at my son (he was born after the ED was dealt with) and thought he deserves better..........so, I'm doing this the right way. and I've since discovered that I deserve this too.
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    For me it was watching my 10 year old daughter struggle with weight, not getting enough exercise and making poor eating choices. It was a sad realization, that I was a poor example to her. So, for me it really is a lifestyle change. Sure, I have some weight to loose, but most importantly I need to walk the walk, if I'm gonna talk the talk. So I am!

PS - I had a flashback to all the times my parents told me not to smoke as a kid, while puffing away.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    for me it was pictures and avoiding being in them and with 3 kids there are always pictures and I wanted to look better in them instead of being the one always behind the camera taking them.

you'd do anything for your kids and so they are getting to an age that they know mom was more than chubby
  • elizwelshman
    Options
    After I was married, I decided I wanted to be the person that I felt inside (not that my husband cared 'cause he loves me no matter, he's the bestest!!). I was out of shape, smelled like Marlboro lights, & became so picky with how I looked in pictures it started to bother me constantly. Thus- I quit smoking, started out slow with walking, and am slowly building myself up to a better image. Lost 12 pounds. Yay! I look and feel more alive. :smile: