My favorite 15 low calorie foods. What are yours?

Options

Replies

• seadog1
    seadog1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Corn Beef and Cabbage 4 ounces corn beef and ounces of cabbage 220 calories few carbs.

Fit and active Yogurt on Millville high fiber cereal. 175 calories.

Steel Cut Oats
  • vanb0052
    vanb0052 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    bump
  • crcoward
    crcoward Posts: 3
    Options
    So how do you sautee your veggies? Do you have any healthy recipes or anything? I need HELP!
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    So how do you sautee your veggies? Do you have any healthy recipes or anything? I need HELP!
    I've heard of people using low sodium broth. I always use a low calorie butter like I Can't Believe It's Not Butter that is only 5 calories a tablespoon.
  • liveyourlifex
    liveyourlifex Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    animal crackers

almonds

special k bars

pretzels

mott's all natural fruit snacks

50 calorie canned fruit

chocolate cheerios!
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    1. Whole wheat sandwich thins. (Great to make mini pizza on too).
    2. Baby carrots
    3. I can't believe it's not butter spray.
    4. Quaker multi-grain oatmeal (with bananas, strawberries or blueberries in it, & 1 or 2 packets of Stevia)
    5. Speaking of....Stevia
    6. Weight Watchers brownies when I need a chocolate fix.
    7. Popcorn, no butter, seasoned.
    8. Dole peach parfaits.
    9. Sargento Light string cheese.
    10. Packaged (not canned) Garbanzo Chick Peas. (A lot lower in sodium if you buy them this way).
    11. Multi-grain Cheerios (w/ skim milk).
    12. Plain yogurt (with strawberries or blueberries).
    13. Boneless, skinless chicken tenderloins.
    14. Spinach leaves (in omelet, on sandwiches, salad).
    15. Turkey sausage links.
  • Sara7Taylor
    Sara7Taylor Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Red Apples
    Strawberries
    Grilled Chicken
    Spinach
    Brown Rice
    Alabacore Tuna fish
    Baby Carrots
    Celery
    Laughing Cow Spread
    Tomato soup
    Coke Zero
    Lemon Slices
    Orange Slices
    Ground Turkey
    Sandwich Thins
    Sun Chips
    Fiber one Bars
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    sugar free jello and pudding
    fat free whip cream
    rice cakes
    mini light baby bell cheese
    low fat string cheese
    birds eye individual steams brussel sprouts (my new fave)
    strawberries
    fat free yogurt
    sugar free fudgcicles
    ice water (lol)
    Isopure Dutch Chocoloate Protein Shake mix (1 scoop is 110 cals and 25g of protein)
    turkey
    special k multigrain crackers
    fiber one 90 calorie bars

just to name a few..
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Options

i use canola oil spray. it is zero cals for a 1/4 second spray...
  • SuzMac1981
    SuzMac1981 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SuzMac1981
    Options

i use canola oil spray. it is zero cals for a 1/4 second spray...

I use Pam's Olive Oil cooking spray and a tablespoon of water. I then add spices or garlic salt.
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Great thread! My favorites, in no particular order...

1. Skim milk
    2. Oatmeal (old fashioned and steel ground)
    3. Berries (blueberries, strawberries, etc.)
    4. Low calorie mozzarella string cheese
    5. 2% small curd cottage cheese
    6. Apples
    7. Garbanzo beans
    8. Broccoli
    9. Carrots
    10. Tilapia
    11. Canned tuna and/or salmon
    12. Cantaloupe
    13. Red cabbage
    14. Tomato
    15. Thomas brand mini bagels and english muffins

And five runner-ups...
    Spinach
    Lentils
    Vitatop banana nut muffins
    Cheerios
    Does tea count? :)
  • HealthierMamasita
    Options
    FYI: cooking spray is not zero calorie.

The USDA allows food manufacturers to list "0" of something whenever it is less than 1/2 (.5) of a unit (gram, calorie, etc.) There is actually .3 grams of fat in a serving...which, for this particular spray, is a 1/4 second. There are 9 calories in one gram of fat...so essentially then 3 calories for a 1/4 second spray, 12 for a full second spray (along with 1.2 grams of fat), etc. A little under a 4.5-second spray will give you about a teaspoon of oil...for 55-or-so calories, and about 5 grams of fat.

This stuff isn't magic; it's convenient. If you took your favorite spray and sprayed it into a measuring cup until it was full, you would wind up with about 2/3 of a cup of oil (a continuous spray of about 2 minutes, 20 seconds). And that oil would be just as fattening as if you had poured it straight out of the bottle.

So, ounce per ounce, cooking spray is better for you than vegetable oil even though cooking spray isn't really calorie-free.
  • nicole326
    nicole326 Posts: 11
    Options
    My favorite is oatmeal. I have oatmeal every morning during the week :)
    I also love:

strawberries
    bananas
    Nutra Gram bars
    Key lime pie yogurt (yoplait)

those are just a few things. :)
  • SuzMac1981
    Options

The USDA allows food manufacturers to list "0" of something whenever it is less than 1/2 (.5) of a unit (gram, calorie, etc.) There is actually .3 grams of fat in a serving...which, for this particular spray, is a 1/4 second. There are 9 calories in one gram of fat...so essentially then 3 calories for a 1/4 second spray, 12 for a full second spray (along with 1.2 grams of fat), etc. A little under a 4.5-second spray will give you about a teaspoon of oil...for 55-or-so calories, and about 5 grams of fat.

This stuff isn't magic; it's convenient. If you took your favorite spray and sprayed it into a measuring cup until it was full, you would wind up with about 2/3 of a cup of oil (a continuous spray of about 2 minutes, 20 seconds). And that oil would be just as fattening as if you had poured it straight out of the bottle.

So, ounce per ounce, cooking spray is better for you than vegetable oil even though cooking spray isn't really calorie-free.

I know this... this is why I barely coat the pan with the cooking spray and why then I used water to sautee the vegetables. If I need oil for a recipe or something I use Crisco's imported 100% extra virgin olive oil.
  • HealthierMamasita
    Options

I know this... this is why I barely coat the pan with the cooking spray and why then I used water to sautee the vegetables. If I need oil for a recipe or something I use Crisco's imported 100% extra virgin olive oil.

Not saying using cooking spray is bad. I use it too! But it is not calorie free. That is the reason behind my posting.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Saw OP had 100 cal English muffins w/ veggie burger-- try veggie burger on 100 cal 100% whole wheat sandwich thins. Much more like a bun, soft and yummy!

I also use the thins for garlic bread-- a quick spray of FF olive oil, garlic powder, Italian seasonong, and brown under broiler for 3 min.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Steaming is a great way to cook most veggies, too. No fat required, yummy and soft veggies after. :)
  • ruthie3110
    ruthie3110 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    1. Sugar/fat free jelly
    2. Tropical juice (I looked at the calories expecting to die inside a little, and it's really low calorie.... think it's watered down!)
    3. Cucumber
    4. Bell peppers
    5. Melba toast with low fat cream cheese
    6. Chicken breast with spices. I can have almost twice as much fresh stuff as I can if I buy the ready prepared processed crap.
    7. Muller lights yoghurtrs
    8. Seafood sticks
    9. Lettuce and mozzarella salad
    10. Baked crisps
    11. Ham, cheese and cherry tomato melts (wrap sliced cherry tomatoes with some grated cheese in a slice of ham and warm)
    12. Chicken, mushroom, peppers and rice with added spices (chilli, black pepper etc) all mixed in almost like a risotto
    13. Cinnamon and raisin oatmeal, made with water
    14. Sugar free squash
    15. Frozen yoghurt

Wow thinking of 15 was really hard!
  • andreacord
    andreacord Posts: 928
    Options
    Sugar free jello, skinny cow ice-cream, the oreo thinsations and the delight bars, popchips.. amazing!, spinach, low fat ranch.. sad enough but I can't live without it :(, cucumber, red pepper, dempster's bodywise bread, low fat mozza cheese strings, fibre 1, butterball turkey bacon, eggs/eggwhites, milk, my jillian michaels protein powder, apples, raspberries, Chocolate flavored almond milk.. I'm pretty sure that's more than 15, but whatever :)