Taking days off.

Options
Quick question y'all;

Should I be taking break from my workouts? I currently work out vigorously Monday through Friday and on Saturday I try to get in a 30 minute walk/jog. Every time I take a day off from exercising [typically Sundays], I feel guilty!

Does it matter if I take a day off or can I work out 7 days a week? [if I feel I can]

Thanks guys!

Replies

• orierie113
    Options
    Quick question y'all;

Should I be taking break from my workouts? I currently work out vigorously Monday through Friday and on Saturday I try to get in a 30 minute walk/jog. Every time I take a day off from exercising [typically Sundays], I feel guilty!

Does it matter if I take a day off or can I work out 7 days a week? [if I feel I can]

Thanks guys!

Its ok if you take time off from working out. Your body needs the rest anyway. You should always take a day of rest for your body to recoup.
  • leamgood
    leamgood Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I used to workout 7 days a week and would loose maybe 1-2 lbs and very few if any inches with my low calorie diet. When I started resting 3 times a week I started loosing more weight and a lot more inches. I think that recovery time is important for our bodies.
  • vodkaswigger
    Options
    Ive been wondering the same as i have just started running 2 miles a day and i am aching after day 6, i was going to rest tomorrow, id be interested to see what other people think on the rest matter as its confusing when you first start exercising. If you feel as tho you can,why not! Good luck xxx
  • nikkionamission
    Options
    I'm like you in that I feel a bit guilty when I take a day off but you should really have a day off a week, it helps your body recover.

I'm having a day off today after over a week of exercising and I can honestly say my body definitely needs it!!
  • lisaloo85
    lisaloo85 Posts: 81
    Options
    I take every sat. off. I believe that it is good for your body to have that day to rest and recoup! I do make sure I stay at or under my calorie goal though!
  • Natalie0506
    Natalie0506 Posts: 163
    Options
    You should be taking at least one day off a week, if not two. Your body needs time to rebuild the muscle that you break down every time you work out.
  • missbrandyp
    missbrandyp Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You should always have a day off but if you feel guilty if you do something really light like a 30 minute light walking that is still a day off to your body. I can't take days 100% off of everything because I just feel grubby so my days off are days I do just a light yoga in the morning and maybe a quick 30/45 minute walk on the beach during the day or evening.
  • hchandler0823
    hchandler0823 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    We're going four wheeling on Sunday and I know that I won't be able to get my 60 minute walk/run in. I just have to get over this guilty feeling that I get when I don't exercise!

Thanks everyone!
  • mitchlnix
    mitchlnix Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Every official exercise program I have seen recommends that you take a day off (even P90X). Most recommend that you don't do the same type of exercise (hard or long-distance running, weight lifting etc.) on consecutive days. This gives your body a chance to recover and heal from the tiny tears in the muscle fibers that occur when you work out hard. If you can't stand to do a day of complete rest, stretching or light walking works as well.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Yes. You should have atleast one off day per week.
    Your body needs time to recover.

I usually take Sundays off and have a cheat day. I relax and eat a few things I normally wouldn't.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    you have to take a day at leat off per week!
    your body needs it! eventhough your mind thinks not
    if you do you will perform better!
    I took 1 whole week off my running and last night I was better than ever!!:happy:
  • Akaratel
    Akaratel Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    We're going four wheeling on Sunday and I know that I won't be able to get my 60 minute walk/run in. I just have to get over this guilty feeling that I get when I don't exercise!

Thanks everyone!

Atleast you are still doing activities,... you aren't just sitting on the couch... Four wheeling is good exercise as well, just beacuse you are sitting doesn't mean you are not using your arm muscles to steer and your leg muscles to stay on ;) . One time I was jet skiing for the first time that summer, I was having such a blast for hours, wow I felt that the next day in my arms lol .. Have FUN and enjoy life and days off. Personally I take the weekend off and my body well deserves it, but I run into yoga sunday night cuz i love it :) Have fun! let your muscles rest sometimes :)
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I have also been wondering this. I do some form of exercise every day. and I have been for over a month. Normally I walk during lunch then my elliptical at night for about an hour 3-4 times a week then one to two days I will strength train (bob harper super strength), On the weekends I have been roller skating one day and the next doing both strength and my elliptical or some other cardio DVD.
    I have found that I get stiff joints if I am not doing something. Today I just walked and I feel guilty.