Are you a moderator or an abstainer?

Options
Onesnap
Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
I myself am a moderator! I come from a candy store family (no joke) where I have family members that *need* chocolate daily (mind you they are in excellent shape). I learned at a young age to not deny yourself treats, just don't overindulge. I've also been gardening organically and growing my own veggies my whole life.

The reason I'm on MFP is because my work habits (read: free food at work and going crazy on business trips with fancy dinners out) have led to 20 lbs of weight gain despite being healthy and in good shape. I came to MFP because I needed support to get my weight back on track.

Anyway, check out this post from The Happiness Project. For those of you not familiar the author Gretchen is wonderful. Check out the post about moderating or abstaining here:

http://www.happiness-project.com/happiness_project/2011/04/quiz-are-you-a-moderator-or-an-abstainer-when-trying-to-give-something-up.html

So, are you a moderator or abstainer? Are you an all or nothing type person? I have a friend that says he has trouble with candy because for him he can't stop at just one.

Replies

• Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    I cant do all or nothing - it drives me batty. So, Im definitely a moderator. My fiance is definitely an abstainer and it seems to work well for him because he's losing more weight! But, he doesn't mind the same healthy meals over and over...
  • tonedover
    tonedover Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    work travel is a huge obstacle.
    Ive been re-learning that the expensive piece of fish on the work acct is just as good as the expensive steak on the work acct --- and i feel good about my positive choice!

more to the point - im a moderator. i recently had some cheetos!! my fav !!! it was so good but i felt guilty the entire time i was eating them.
  • cathcakey
    cathcakey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Moderator, definitely!
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Depends on the food and my mood. Luckily, I have begun to learn when I can be a moderator and when I have to be an abstainer. Candy is something I good at being a moderator with, pizza is something I have to be an abstainer with (or only eat when I'm out with others). Doesn't make sense, I know, but for me, it's learning who I am and paying attention to my feelings. If I'm eating because I'm hungry - I can be a moderator, if I'm eating for any other reason, I have to be an abstainer.

Clear as mud, huh?
  • angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    work travel is a huge obstacle.
    Ive been re-learning that the expensive piece of fish on the work acct is just as good as the expensive steak on the work acct --- and i feel good about my positive choice!

more to the point - im a moderator. i recently had some cheetos!! my fav !!! it was so good but i felt guilty the entire time i was eating them.

Me too.....had cheetos that is!!! Just last night!!! I was eating tuna...and measured out one portion of cheetos...the crunchy kind....and it was like a total treat for me!!! MMMMm....makes me want more!!!!
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I don't often order the steak when out on a work trip. But I drink more than I normally do and I eat more courses than normal. I also skip my normal workout routine. I've started to pack a workout DVD on biz trips since I joined MFP so that's a huge change! I think since I travel alone a lot it's just me sitting there eating and I tend do do crazy stuff since no one is watching.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    mmm, cheetos. For me it's Pirate's Booty. Mmmmm.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm a moderator... If I abstain it just leads to disaster. My weakness foods are cheeseburgers and chocolate... and I try to have a little of each every week and so far I've lost 15 pounds.
  • DOTY1
    DOTY1 Posts: 97
    Options
    Im a moderator I feel that if I say no Ill be ok for alittle bit but eventually I go crazy so I would rather say ok to small piece of cake rather then the whole thing.
  • WattsJA
    WattsJA Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Really depends on the food .. but I would have to say I am more of an abstainer than a moderator because I find it easier not to start than to stop.
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Definitely a moderator on most things. I have pretty much given up sodas completely, and other than dark chocolate, I have pretty much stopped eating candy. For the most part, however, I have continued to eat my beloved pizza, ice cream, movie-style kettle popped popcorn, etc. I just don't eat them nearly as often, and I'm watching the portions I eat of those items. Just cutting down the portions from what I used to eat makes a big difference all by itself. Eating them less often helps even more. I'm not giving some of those favorites up forever entirely, however.

Somehow I found a way to give up sodas without a problem though.
  • blackdragonclare
    Options
    I'm an abstainer its not that I go crazy but I just slip back into eating the wrong food if that makes sence
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    All things in moderation!!

It seems to me like a lot of boys around me like to abstain in their diets. My boyfriend's roommate will go on kicks with no eating at restaurants, no bread, no sugar, no this, no that. Usually no scientific reasoning behind it either.

Maybe he should find MFP. ;)
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Combination. But sounds like some conflict in who you think you are and actually are...relative to food. Hope you get back to who you were.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I'm an extremist. There's a moderate balance within my chaotic harmony.
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options
    mmm, cheetos. For me it's Pirate's Booty. Mmmmm.

Ooooh, I LOVE the white cheddar Pirates Booty! :) It's terrrriibleee...y good!

And definitely a moderator. Got to have my dark chocolate and a glass of wine!
  • musicoflife08
    Options
    I'm not sure actually. I would say I'm a moderator, but when my first free meal came up it kind of made me fall off the wagon.... So, I've had a really hard time with eating out since that one free meal. Before then I was actually do really well. So, since I'm just kinda starting out, I'll have to wait and see. Maybe a should be an abstainer?
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Moderator. I *can* eat 2 pieces of candy and stop. I don't want to wolf it down, I want to taste it, enjoy it, and savor it...

I am here because I sit on my butt all day for work, eat fast food often, and I gained weight when I quit smoking last year :smile:
  • CharlieJuliette
    CharlieJuliette Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm an abstainer. I have to be because I know myself too well - if I allow myself one, I'll finish the packet! I wish I could be a moderator because I think this a far healthier way to live.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    moderator with junk food. I'll have ice cream once a week on my cheat day.

Abstainer to overindulger on alcohol. I don't do well with moderating and having a drink or two a week. I usually abstain for a month or so at a time, and then go out and overindulge.