0 Calories

Options
Hi All,

Are there such things that a truely 0 calories that you can eat?

Replies

• ybba12490
    ybba12490 Posts: 252
    Options
    celery? Plus you burn when digesting it
  • traceyrbb
    traceyrbb Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i found food club no sugar added sweet pickles have 0 calories, 0 fat, 0 carb, etc....the only thing it does have is sodium but i'm liking the o calorie, fat and carb part!!! would love to find other things that are like that to fill the gap when i get hungry!
  • ohcaptain
    ohcaptain Posts: 25
    Options
    I think without sweeteners most green tea you buy to make at home is 0c. Also, water & ice. That's... pretty much all I can think of. lol
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    celery? Plus you burn when digesting it

Not really how it works. First of all celery has a low but existent caloric content. But 1)your body doesnt have to work very hard to burn something with so little content 2) MFP accounts for calories burned from digestion etc, in your "Calories Burned from Daily Activity" estimate (the number from which your deficit is calculated).

I suggest you worry less about things with "0" calories, and look for things that have nutrition and fillingness that justifies their calorie content.
  • HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    http://www.waldenfarms.com/

I have some friends that swear by these Walden Farms foods, but I gotta tell you I've tried some of the stuff and I don't think it's that great. I also wonder what they are using to make it calorie free, which creeps me out a bit. But you may like it! Just thought I'd share.
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    Even the stuff labelled 0 cal isn't 0 cal. It just means that they have less than 5 cals/serving. Legally you can label it as zero calories. Any myth about negative calorie foods is wrong (I just found that out myself). So, we're looking at water, ice, some seasonings... :-)

Sorry. Thems the brakes.
  • meggonkgonk
    Options
    i found food club no sugar added sweet pickles have 0 calories, 0 fat, 0 carb, etc....the only thing it does have is sodium but i'm liking the o calorie, fat and carb part!!! would love to find other things that are like that to fill the gap when i get hungry!

Check for asterisks. Companies aren't required to list a calorie content for things with 4 or fewer calories. Splenda , the no calorie sweetener, has something like 2 calories a packet. I'm pretty sure there are similar regluations on carbs and fat etc.

This isn't to discourage you from using them as tide over snacks. Just a general FYI.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    You can snack on law cal foods if you're trying to not add to you daily totals.
    But make sure you're getting enough calories every day to avoid hurting yourself.

lettuce has a low cal content.
    watermelon is fairly low, and you get tons of hydration from it.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    diet pepsi
  • kimbaclay
    kimbaclay Posts: 81
    Options
    Great suggestions guys! I think i will just have to bring more snacks into work. Cucumber, carrots etc... I eat for the sake of it and boredom also..

Today i filled up on diet pepsi but that can't be good for you surely?
  • meggonkgonk
    Options
    No- Diet coke/Pepsi really isnt that great for you. It's OK in moderation but really not a good idea to rely on too much.
  • trhonda2011
    Options
    Its an urban myth! LOL Everything that says no calories has calories, just less than five. Check what the serving size is, then calculating how much of it you are eating. There's a formula to figure out truly how many calories are in things but that may get a little too mundane for many (but I'm an info junky LOL). And to be quite honest, I would be concerned with anything claiming such. Also I would stay away from diet sodas. They are usually filled with artificial sweetners and other chemicals to make us feel better for drinking it. In reality, we (meaning our bodies) don't feel better. As many have suggested, eat healthier calories, simple as that. :)
  • GLLove
    GLLove Posts: 77
    Options
    http://www.waldenfarms.com/

I have some friends that swear by these Walden Farms foods, but I gotta tell you I've tried some of the stuff and I don't think it's that great. I also wonder what they are using to make it calorie free, which creeps me out a bit. But you may like it! Just thought I'd share.

eww. Thats is very creepy. I'd much rather go over my calories.