Polar HRM-Changing target zones?

Options
(I posted this the other night, but it was late and I didn't get any responses, so I'm trying again....)

I recently bought the Polar FT7 to get a better understanding of just how many calories I'm burning during my workouts. I understand that you get out of these things what you put in to them. Meaning, it's only as accurate as the input I give it. I watched all the tutorial videos on their site and got moving.
Then I remembered this page: http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/support/faqs?product=&category=General&documenttitle=How+to+calculate+target+heart+rate+zone?&document=/gip/PEUS1kb-public.nsf/web_cat/85256F470048B0BC852574FD00655BD8

It talks about taking your resting heart rate in the morning for 3 days in a row, then to average them out. I did that since I want the most accurate info. Then I did the math and figured out my percentages (my target zones based on the percentage of my maximum heart rate).
141-153...60%
153-165...70%
165+.........80%

But I don't see anywhere to adjust this stuff. It only seems to take in account my age, sex, weight & height. So, it calculates my targets as this:
112-131...60%
131-150...70%
150+.........80%

Is there anyway to adjust this stuff? Will my calories burned be less accurate or it that simply tabulated from the age, sex, weight & height info?

Any insight, help, advice would be great. I just want to make sure I'm getting the most out of my new thingy. Thank you.

Replies

• amcmillan730
    amcmillan730 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    interested to see what other people say. I'm thinking it won't affect calories... but I could absolutely be wrong.
  • AngiMoss
    AngiMoss Posts: 77
    Options
    The only thing I can see to adjust is my "upper heart rate limit" in which case my watch will beep at me if I reach it (unless I turn off the sound)...and "maximum heart rate". The maximum heart rate is 220 minus age, so for me it's 188.

These don't seem like the things I need to change, but if I need to alter them to get a more accurate read, than I will.
    Just getting a little confused. I thought I'd have to change some numbers as my fitness level improved, but I just don't see how I am supposed to do that?
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Hi there! It's funny, I have posted 2 or 3 questions about my HRM on MFP that were a little more detailed because so many people on this site use them but like you, I have never really had much response ....it seems like the only thing people want to discuss is which one to buy!

I have an FT60 and I am not sure how different the model is but I can change my individual zones from the age-based ones under Settings: Training Settings area on the watch.

It's not really too lively of a forum on the Polar Site but they do have a forum where you can ask questions and you can select the forum based on which product you are asking about. I posted one last week and while not getting the exact answer, learned a little bit more from the discussion to help me move forward in how I wanted to work my training program.

Good luck!!
  • AngiMoss
    AngiMoss Posts: 77
    Options
    Thank you so much Robin!
    I'll continue to play around with it...and good idea about heading over to the Polar site.
    I appreciate your reply.
    Cheers!