gaining back weight, but still losing inches!

Options
this is a bit frustrating because i had lost 9 lbs since my first weigh-in, but i've gained 5 back already.. however when we do our measurements i've been losing inches almost every time. now i know its everything to do with muscle weighing more than fat and that's fine by me, but i wish MFP would take some of this into consideration too...i'm starting to think my goal weight is unrealistic for my body once i consider the muscle gain and inches lost. to be perfectly honest i don't think my true goal was to lose weight as much as it was to tone up the saggy flabby excess chub skin, and avoid getting bingo wings.........although it would have been nice to keep my boobs :frown: but some of you may be working really hard and only losing minimal amounts, but always bare in mind muscle weighs more and losing inches will show you your hard work does pay off.....:drinker: so here's to us cuz we kick ash :smokin: so good luck to us all ...... We can do it!

Replies

• Hcrowson
    Hcrowson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I completely understand this frustration. I have taken a sudden halt on loosing pounds but am still losing inches. I am seeing toning in my legs and arms.. Yahhooo! But for me.....it is frustrating not to see the numbers on the scale go down. Am I doing something wrong? Is there something more I can be doing?
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    you are lifting and doing strength training, right. That is the only way you will gain muscle. And that muscle is what make our metabolism.

I lost 8 then switched over to weight/strength focus. Don't do a lot of cardio. My weight jumped 3-4lbs overnight and has finally gone back down.

BUT - my body fat calipers measured 20mm on my abdominal pinch until I started lifting. I have dropped 4mm in the last month. It took 5 months but I'm finally losing my belly. Yay weight lifting!!! And I get to eat!

And unfortunately MFP has to be very generalized so it can cater to the public. It's up to us to weed out the bad info and find all the good info.

GOOD FOR YOU!! CONGRATS!!
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    you will see some muscle gain, so long as you are losing inches that is all that matters and do not weigh yourself daily, the scale number does not mean **** just like your bmi does not mean ****. Its all about the inches that is the true measure of fat loss and those should not be taken more than once a week. My weight can fluctuate anywhere between 3-6 pounds a day depending on my water intake and how much I work out that day so be patient stick with it and you will do fine.
  • shanners85
    shanners85 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was the same way. I gained about 3 lbs since losing 10 but was still losing inches. Today, I got on the scale and I am down 11.5 in total.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    you're best having a "pants size" goal or a "waist inches" goal, or a body fat percentage goal (ideal, if you can afford to get tested before and after).
    A "weight" goal varies with body composition. What you THOUGHT you wanted to be might not be what you should be once you see how much muscle you are or are not adding. It fluctuates greatly.

Example: I "thought" I wanted to be 102 (I'm really short) but when I got to 104 I was that SCRAWNY WEAKLING kind of skinny. I abandoned ever seeing 102 and decided to lift weights instead. I am now 108 and look WAY WAY better than I did at 104. I still have a ways to go to see what I want to see in the mirror, but I am NOT trying to lose weight, I am trying to achieve the body I want REGARDLESS of if the scale goes up or down.
  • kcphilly
    kcphilly Posts: 71
    Options
    Yes I wish there was a ticker on here for inches lost. This is one reason why I don't have an exact goal weight in mind. Before I started gaining I was 120-125, but "skinny fat" and still had a little bit of a belly. Now that I'm working out I would be happier to be a few pounds heavier but in better shape. Scale has not really been moving for me the past two weeks but the jeans are getting looser, I love getting to tighten my belt! Even my workout pants I bought in Jan. are getting big on me, I keep having to make sure they stay up when I'm on the treadmill at the gym.
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    you're best having a "pants size" goal or a "waist inches" goal, or a body fat percentage goal (ideal, if you can afford to get tested before and after).
    A "weight" goal varies with body composition. What you THOUGHT you wanted to be might not be what you should be once you see how much muscle you are or are not adding. It fluctuates greatly.

Example: I "thought" I wanted to be 102 (I'm really short) but when I got to 104 I was that SCRAWNY WEAKLING kind of skinny. I abandoned ever seeing 102 and decided to lift weights instead. I am now 108 and look WAY WAY better than I did at 104. I still have a ways to go to see what I want to see in the mirror, but I am NOT trying to lose weight, I am trying to achieve the body I want REGARDLESS of if the scale goes up or down.

Couldn't have said it better myself! Of course, I had to get down to 125 to see that it's really not about what the scales say! I seem to have gained a few pounds over the past month but my body has never been better and it really is all thanks to weight training and my cardio sessions! I feel like I've seen the light! I plan to treat myself to a pair of decent fitting size 10uk jeans and use them as my 'goal'... If they're getting tight, I need to lighten the cals!