Looking for Gardeners

Options
Hi Everyone,

Gardening season is upon us. I'm looking to friend other gardeners who can share stories and motivation (and frustrations) related to gardening. Of course, I'd always welcome recipes for what to do with all those extra tomatoes. I look forward to hearing from you!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• RunConquerCelebrate
    RunConquerCelebrate Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I would love to hear tips about gardening, this is my first year at it so we will see how it goes. Just planted carrots and onions yesterday also basil, cilantro, and thyme (fingers crossed) that something sprouts.
  • cjnorman
    cjnorman Posts: 93
    Options
    Going to the local Hardy Plant Society sale this weekend. Have tomato seedling growing in my basement. No reallly those are tomato plants :laugh: Peas in the ground, radishes growing. It is in August when I start losing steam. Need to do better with my fall garden.

Yes I am a garden nerd. Feel free to friend me.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm stuck waiting another roughly 6 weeks to avoid last frost-date, so I'm sprouting grains this year and getting a head-start on some herbs.
    Planting more of the stuff we actually used up in a hurry last year, carrots, turnip, parsnip, beets, potato... zucchini was a big hit too, expanding the garden another 400 square feet anyway to make some room for proper rotations.
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Me too Pandorian. We usually do not plant our gardens until the first of June. My passion is tomatoes.:love:
  • lulu1962
    lulu1962 Posts: 210
    Options
    I love to garden! We have a vegetable garden as well as hundreds of daylilies in our yard. Lots of upkeep, but well worth the relaxation, exercise & food it provides in the summer. Too cold in Wisconsin to really think a lot about getting out there yet, though!:sad:
  • grs21now
    grs21now Posts: 8
    Options
    Hello, here in England most of my tomatoes are greenhouse grown, but some survive out side I love toms. so I make a lot of soup. and salsa. I also freeze them whole, and make soup through out the winter.My favorite starter is tomato salad. M x:flowerforyou:
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I just heard from a fellow gardener in Canada that they still have snow on the ground. We will still have cold weather here, too. No chance of ever growing a 80 day tomato.

Good to hear from you.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can extend your season a bit with tunnels... or laying landscape fabric over the soil to warm it so it thaws deeper faster, I haven't done so yet it's simply too early. I've got some old freezers (properly drained) sitting on the property that I'm putting old windows on to turn them into min-greenhouses to extend the season some, have tons of empty windshield washer containers for thermal mass (free from local gas station, sprayed black and filled with non-potable water) stabilizes the temperature for a longer period.

See what you can do where you're at ;)
  • maykerr
    maykerr Posts: 1
    Options
    Im a gardener, just noticed my tulips are all up and some of my lilies are out of the ground. Can't wait!
    Maykerr
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Hi May,

Mine too. Today I also saw my lilly of the valley and peonies starting to shoot up. Love the spring.

CurvyGirl