weight loss surgery

Options
Has anyone had weight loss surgery? I had gastric bypass surgery almost 8 years ago, initially I did wonderful and lost 100lbs right out of the gate, then 5 months out and full of confidence I got pregnant. Was told by the doctors not to have the baby but after years of being told that I may never have kids had to go through with it. Well I proved them wrong, now have a wonderful healthy 6 year old. However, did have to eat during the pregnancy, more then what I was supposed to at that point to ensure he had what he needed. I still did great, only pregnant person I know who lost weight during my 9 months.

Well.... after that I kept off about 130lbs for years... then quit smoking last year and gained about 25 lbs. I was almost to the 200 mark again and miserable with myself, I lost the 25 and have kept it off for about 8 months now, but want to lose more (as we all do). I am unfortunately smoking again but set my quit date for May 2nd. With the help of MFP I am hoping not to gain weight this time.

This is my real issue, with the surgery my body is definitely different then the normal. I know some of my weight is skin, because lord knows I have a lot of that flabby hanging stuff, but its better then it being solid fat. I have been tracking and exercising and trying to stay at 1200 calories a day, which I usually am ok with. I don't feel hungry but i AM a food addict and teaching myself to start over again.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get back to basics from weight loss surgery instructions? Any stories on life after weight loss surgery. It was the best thing I have ever done and if I never lose another pound it was still worth every second, I can breathe and walk and even run (although I don't do that often :o)

Just came this far and don't want to give up till I'm where I want to be. My BMI still says I am borderline obese, even though I know that's skin too... I just want for the first time since I'm a little little girl to say I'm not obese. I need some help... some support... something, just don't know what anymore.......

Thanks to all who are on here, reading all these things really helps me alot

Replies

• LaLaLewi
    LaLaLewi Posts: 41
    Options
    I'm curious to know why they said not to have the baby. Pregnancy is VERY important to me and the doctors I met with said I should just wait until approx. 6 months after the surgery.
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I had to sign a document that said i would not get pregnant til a year after my surgery. Mainly it is because right after surgery your pouch is too small to get adequate nutrition to support a baby. As time goes on your body recovers from the shock of surgery and makes adjustments in how you absorb food to make up the difference. Also your pouch stretches over time to allow for more "normal" eating and it becomes much easier to get the nutrients you need to support a pregnancy.

As to the actual question, I had pretty good sucess following the foodaddictsanonymous.org website. I have recently slipped off but I am planning to get back on track as of Monday. I am not 100% strict with the diet but I did cut most sugars and flours from my diet. It really did stop the cravings for me. I did it for 2 months and lost 21 lbs. It was actually fun trying all the new grains and such, trying to think of new recipes for the new ingredients. Slowly I started going back to regular food and the cravings came back resulting in a not so good March.

good luck.
  • jssw2000
    jssw2000 Posts: 15
    Options
    that was pretty much the reason, they said that you should not get pregnant until at least 18 months to 2 years after the surgery so that you can supply the baby with enough nutrition. They made me eat more then I could handle and they also had me on a ton of vitamins and iron pills. All worked out for me well but I did read quite a few stories of people that got pregnant right after surgery and the baby was born with defects. It is something that they reccomend you wait for but you can still have children just want to plan it out better then I did. :o)

I'm going to take a look at that website also. thanks
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get back to basics from weight loss surgery instructions? Any stories on life after weight loss surgery. It was the best thing I have ever done and if I never lose another pound it was still worth every second, I can breathe and walk and even run (although I don't do that often :o)

Actually, back to basics is pretty much what I'm going to do when I'm a year out in July. 3-5 days on the liquid diet, a week or two on soft solids and work my way back. For some people this "resets" (probably just shrinks) the pouch a bit. I don't know how effective it is at that many years out. Might work to an extent though. :-)