Feed to shed fat

Options

Replies

• Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    What are your thoughts on activity level?

I saw a discussion about how one person who has a desk job but works out hard 6 days a week wasn't losing on sedentary and once it was bumped up to very active, they lost.

Granted everyone is different but one who sits at a desk but works out hard 6 days a week will more times than not, burn more than someone who just sits at a desk without exercise.

I guess I'm just wondering if I'm still not getting enough calories. My base is set at 1250 as my BMR is 1245. Once I log exercise that number goes up to anywhere from 1850-2000+. I eat back most or all exercise calories. I'm wondering if I should not only change activity level but also go down to half a pound a week.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    if you are working out 5 days a week or more you are active regardless of job. I am a heavy equipment tech, on some days I work my butt off heavy lifting, hard work and others are slow and sedentary I work out between 3-4 times a week so i am very active by default. Sedentary means no real physical work at work and when home or working out once a week, anything more means moderate + level.
  • Sweetlost
    Sweetlost Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kat120285
    Options
    if you are working out 5 days a week or more you are active regardless of job. I am a heavy equipment tech, on some days I work my butt off heavy lifting, hard work and others are slow and sedentary I work out between 3-4 times a week so i am very active by default. Sedentary means no real physical work at work and when home or working out once a week, anything more means moderate + level.

Would you recommend upping my level?
  • Dancinhiphop4life
    Options
    bump!
  • soriakyte
    soriakyte Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks for the great information! Makes me want to read more.
  • hjollyrn
    hjollyrn Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    bump & yes kat put it from sedentary to moderate, you need to find out where your balance is, slowly up it and watch what happens to fat loss, if it slows down then you are getting closer to maintenance.
  • Kat120285
    Options
    Thanks, I upped it last night, didn't quite get all the cals as I did it late but we'll see how today goes. It'll be around 2300+ calories after I exercise. It's got me starting at 1690 now which I think is fine because when I used the team beachbody calculator it had me eat 1800 to maintain and that seemed spot on as my weight didn't move at all. I'll give it a couple weeks and see what happens.

Thanks for the feedback, I sort of new that even though I was eating around 2000 calories the base of 1250 just wasn't enough for the amount that I exercise.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I'd love your advice on what i should be eating. I am 5'2 140lbs want to get to 125lbs. Only 15 more to go. I've been eating 1200 a day for 10 months, plus excercising and lost 50lbs. The scale hasn't budged in 2 weeks and actually I went up 2 lbs today.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    are you eating back all your exercise cals or at least the bulk of them to stay above 1200 net?
  • BflSaberfan
    Options
    are you eating back all your exercise cals or at least the bulk of them to stay above 1200 net?

No I never ate back my exercise calories. I've been a member here since June but just within the last few weeks actually started posting/reading - I was just using it to track my calories so I didn't completely and maybe still dont understand how it all works, all I know is I lost an incredible amount of weight and inches. I went from size 16/18 to 8.

I was probably under estimating my calories some days but didn't log any exercise either.....I dont believe I WAS in starvation mode because I had so much fat to lose, but now that I'm within 15 lbs of goal I know I have to change something.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    when we have a lot to lose you can get away with it to a point but once you get down to the lower brackets of fat loss then it will make a big difference which is why you have plateaued, start eating them back for a week or 2 and see what happens.
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BflSaberfan
    Options
    when we have a lot to lose you can get away with it to a point but once you get down to the lower brackets of fat loss then it will make a big difference which is why you have plateaued, start eating them back for a week or 2 and see what happens.

Should I continue with 1200 calories? MFP now has me at 1390 for a .5 a week weight loss.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    do 1200 on days 1 and 2 then eat maintenance level on day 3, see my post on zig zagging cals: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/212510-how-to-zig-zag-cals-properly-caloric-cycling-properly I forgot to add that this means net including exercise so 1200 net including exercise and maintenance level including exercise to accelerate fat loss and break through that plateau.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I believe everybody should read Tom Venuto. Brilliant advice and very simple to understand.

I agree. I post his advice on here all the time. There's a site called hussmanfitness.org that has a short article of his called Working With The Body and it's great stuff to read.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    My bad. hussmanfitness.org doesn't mention Tom Venuto. I have an article of his somewhere. But the site is still a good site.
  • dltldisney
    Options
    I gotta bump this thread! Great information with lots of good questions and responses.
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    do 1200 on days 1 and 2 then eat maintenance level on day 3, see my post on zig zagging cals: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/212510-how-to-zig-zag-cals-properly-caloric-cycling-properly I forgot to add that this means net including exercise so 1200 net including exercise and maintenance level including exercise to accelerate fat loss and break through that plateau.
    thanks for sharing this. i was wondering if you had aconcise guide as i was reading.