Hyperthyroidism....

Options
So I've just been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. One of the top symptoms is weight loss. What are the chances of developing this at the same time I actually start trying to lose weight?! I really thought it was ME doing well. =(

I'm terrified that once they cure the hyperthyroidism....it will also inadvertently "cure" my weight loss and that I'll start gaining!!!

Has anyone dealt with this or have any advice??

Replies

• zenfocus
    zenfocus Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I don't know much about hyperthyroidism and I'm sorry to hear you have this. My initial thoughts not knowing about your condition are that... it's better to be a little overweight and healthy than rail-thin and unhealthy. But those are just my thoughts. I'm sure your doctor has a better idea about how to stay thin and feel better while also being healthy. :)
  • kmcoulon
    kmcoulon Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    She's already made me add like 200 calories a day which I wasn't happy about but whatever. This is so super frustrating!!!
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    With meds, your thyroid level will be restored to 'normal' and you can continue to lose weight - it just might not happen as easily or quickly. I have hypothyroidsm and as long as my meds are at the right dose, I continue to lose weight. It's important to have your levels checked on occasion to make sure you're at the right dose. Talk to your doctor about it...I'm no doctor!
  • kmcoulon
    Options
    What I've been told is that the "treatment" for hypERthyroidism will more than likely throw me into hyPOthyroidism. I have a myriad of other problems that are just making this so hard. Some days I want to just say f*** it and go back to eating how I used to...then I just spend a while on MFP reading forums and I feel ok again.
  • brenda_71
    brenda_71 Posts: 151
    Options
    Don't be too discouraged. I had hypothyriodism for years before I finally went to the doc and figured out what it was and by that time had already put on a bunch of weight. At least they will get you on the med right away and be able to level it out faster. Don't give up on being healthy. Keep eating right and exercising.
  • mirenner
    mirenner Posts: 205
    Options
    i took a quick peek at your diary, though I did not see much of an exercise regiment, nothing there would lead me to believe that your thyroid was being overstimulated due to diet/exercise...

hyperthyroidism can be solved with medication to regulate it and get it back on track as your doctor said

without treatment, hyperthyroidism can cause mood swings, panic, anxiety, mental changes, heart arrhythmias, adrenal complications...

don't choose weight loss over your overall health...

200 calories will not make or break your efforts
  • sheilamo
    sheilamo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am so going to friend you. We have the SAME amount of weight that we are trying to get rid of.

I also happen to be HYPO.

Go figure I have put on like 20 something pounds on in the last year, eating healthy (but not watching my calories) and exercising like a mad women.....no luck. Not until I started counting my calories and continuing with everything else the same.

You are experiencing the opposite of what I am, but just think I have this condition and just started losing weight cause I now track everything that I do.

We can do together and it will make it that much easier for the 2 of us.

Keep your chin up and keep truggin' along (I think I just made up that word) LOL
  • kmcoulon
    Options
    It's just pure craziness. I can't keep myself from thinking that it's the condition that's making me lose, and not my efforts to change!

@mirenner: Yea...I haven't been able to exercise much due to my work schedule, constant joint/back pain (that doctors are currently trying to sort out), and a lot of laziness and discouragement. And concerning the mood swings, yes I KNOW lol....I have been acting like a monster for the past few months and everyone is like WTF is wrong with you. Now we know.....

@sheilamo: <3
  • mrk1day
    mrk1day Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It is true that the treatment for hyperthyroidism MAY throw you into hypothyroidism - but it is actually somewhat rare. Also, because your body naturally has a high BMR because of the hyperthyroidism, you will not gain a lot of weight as someone who is actually hypothyroid even if your medication throws you into it for a little bit. Hyperthyroidism is really well known now, with lots of research and a really good treatment protocol. If you have a fairly competent doctor, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Because your body burns a lot more calories than the normal individual, it is REALLY important for you to take in those extra calories so that you stay well nourished. But I agree with others, your overall health is way more important at this time because long term consequences of hyperthyroidism are not good. I actually just recently had a patient who never treated her hyperthyroidism because of other comorbid conditions - very sad. Trust me, you don't want to be there.
  • kmcoulon
    Options
    @mrk1day: Thanks. I just found out from my general doctor. She's referring me to an endocrinologist and we'll see what happens. I'm also on hardcore immunosuppresants b/c a an extremely bad/stubborn case of eczema, which doesn't help things. My body has NOTHING left to fight off anything with. =(