Ah, so confused.

ChelseyGray
ChelseyGray Posts: 37
edited September 25 in Food and Nutrition
I just read on the topic about eating back the calories that you burn doing exercise, but I've also heard that in order to lose weight you have to burn more calories than you've eaten.
If that makes sense, can anyone help me!?

Replies

• The topic was "Am I eating too much??"

Also, if anyone wants to add me as a friend, go ahead! :D
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Im new here, so I was excited to see your question, as I read the same thing not long ago and became confused...so I hope you get an answer!! That will make 2 less confused people. ;)
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    My goals are set to lose between 1 and 1 1/2 pounds a week ... which means that I already have a calorie deficit of 500-750 calories a day ...

(i.e. let's say I naturally burn 1800 calories a day ... but my goal is set to 1200 (cuz I'm telling MFP that I want to lose weight each week so they deduct calories so I am eating 600 less) ... so if I burn 500 from exercise and eat an additional 500 (that basically means 0 changed) I'm still "under" 600 ...
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    What's your age, height, weight and how often do you work out?
  • HisPathDaily
    or another way of understanding the numbers is ...

1 pound of fat is 3500 calories ... so when you tell MFP you want to lose 1 pound a week, they take 3500 calories, divide it by 7 (days a week) and restrict you 500 calories for each day (based off of what they estimate you burn naturally each day from the questions they ask) ...
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    MFP doesn't work like most cal counters/plans - MFP creates a built in deficit, based on your loss per week goal, regardless of exercise.

Here are some good threads on how MFP works (it's designed for you to eat those cals), metabolism, and why it's important to fuel the body properly. Good luck to you!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/123142-the-answers-to-the-questions

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • I'm 20, I'm 5'4, my weight is 136 pounds & I work out 5 or 6 days a week.
  • HisPathDaily
    Or even more in depth ...

For me ... MFP thinks that I naturally burn 2327 calories a day (based off my weight, and activity level) ... so if I eat 2327 calories a day (in theory) I will not gain or lose weight ...

But ... I told them I want to lose 1 1/2 pounds a week (for now) ... so my goal is 1577 a day ...

So even if I ate a hundred calories more, I technically am still going to lose weight as I'm still under that 2327
  • Haha, good to know I'm not the only one who doesn't completely understand this! haha.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    You burn calories even if you just lay in bed all day, and more depending on your lifestyle (sedentary, lightly active, active, etc.) as you chose in your settings on here.

The calories you're given to eat already take that into consideration. Without any exercise, you're burning more than you eat, so if you burn more, you can eat more.
  • lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    Just like mgasperoni said you already have a deficit built in with your normally daily activity (even if you said sedentary). Since you already have a deficit you should eat back your excercise calories so your body continues to burn and doesn;t decide to hold on to calories. This was a hard concept for me to except also since I have done it "wrong" for so many years. Eatting back calories works! Once you give in the eatting back calories you will find it is a program you can stick with forever. I have finally found a program that will be a lifestyle change I can stick to.
  • So.. I don't have to burn each and every calorie that I eat in order to lose weight?
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    With your stats you gave me...

BMR is 1371
    BMR Adjusted for your activity is 2194 calories. This is also your maintenance calories

To lose .5 lb = 1944 cal
    To lose 1 lb = 1694 cal
    To lose 1.5 lb = 1444 cal

I'd estimate your body fat to be around 25%, leaving you at 102 lbs of lean body mass. A Macronutrient breakdown for a 1 lb weight loss and ratio of 50/30/20 (low fat diet decent enough for weight loss) would be:

188g carbs
    127g protein
    38g fats

If consumed over 5 meals, each meal would include

340 calories
    38g carbs
    25g protein
    8g fat

Get your carbs from complex carbohydrates
    Get your proteins from lean sources
    Get your fats from non-saturated sources

Of course, cut out the processed foods and drink water.
  • Your calorie goal is already set with a number that is less than you burn. Say your body burns 2000 calories a day without exercise. Your calorie goal may be set at 1500. You will burn 500 more calories than you eat even without exercising. Now say you exercise and burn 300 calories. Your calorie goal will be bumped up to 1800. You can eat 1800 calories now, but your net calorie intake will be 1800 calories of food you have eaten:ohwell: minus the 300 calories of exercise. That makes your net intake of calories 1500 which is again 500 less than the 2000 your body burns. You will still lose weight even if you eat back your exercise calories. Hope I haven't added to your confusion.
  • HisPathDaily
    So.. I don't have to burn each and every calorie that I eat in order to lose weight?

Well, technically you are burning them as Lorina said ... just by existing :)

But no, you don't have to "exercise" them off ... 30 minutes a day of "something" is good ... After all, "technically" all you have to do is eat at or under your goal and you'll lose weight ... but you won't be fit (muscles, heart, lungs, etc) ...

My rule of thumb: Eat as close to your goal calories as you can (within 50 calories)
    Exercise 30 minutes 5 days a week and eat at least half of what you burn with whatever exercise you do.
  • HisPathDaily
    Just like mgasperoni said you already have a deficit built in with your normally daily activity (even if you said sedentary). Since you already have a deficit you should eat back your excercise calories so your body continues to burn and doesn;t decide to hold on to calories. This was a hard concept for me to except also since I have done it "wrong" for so many years. Eatting back calories works! Once you give in the eatting back calories you will find it is a program you can stick with forever. I have finally found a program that will be a lifestyle change I can stick to.

Congrats on your weight loss by the way :)
  • So.. I don't have to burn each and every calorie that I eat in order to lose weight?

Yes you do have to burn every calorie you eat and more in order to lose weight. In my previous post I mentioned a person who burned 2000 calories a day without exercise with their calorie goal being 1500. If they exercise burning 300 calories more, now they burn 2300 calories a day and now they can eat 1800 calories. They burn 2300 and eat 1800. They have burned each and every calorie plus some.
  • Okay, thank you for all the posts. I am way less confused now. I'd even say that I completely understand. Haha.
    I appreciate all the help from each of you!
  • Veglady12
    Veglady12 Posts: 8 Member
    Yes, this does make sense. Dieting (lifestyle change) is all about science and your body. Calories = energy burned
    To lose weight you have to consume less food than your body will burn off because unburned calories turn into fat regardless if it is a protein, carb or fat. For example: If you eat 700 calories of simple carbs (candy), no way is your body going to burn those calories off before the fatty acids for carbs turn it to fat and store it. Excess protein works the same way. Eat a huge steak and too many calories the protein fatty acid carries it to the fat stores. Your body burns calories all by itself just by pumping blood, breathing every day(bonus). You can find this caloric # googling BMR calculator. It is your body at rest. Now, you add exercise and then you can eat a little more. Example, say your BMR says your body burns 1300 calories at rest . To remain that weight, you would consume 130O. If you want to lose weight, you go under. Now, 1300 is easy to eat, so exercise is the easiest way to eat more. You jump on the eliptical burn 700 calories. Now, you can consume 2000 calories to remain the same. if you go under that with all that exercise bonus by a couple hundered....that's when you lose weight Now, a pound will take time if you do this realistically because all week these unconsumed or burned calories add up to a pound. . No gimics, just basic science at work. Google the American heart association for tips they explain this too.
    Hope this helps alittle.
This discussion has been closed.