Walking at Work

VeronicaFay
VeronicaFay Posts: 7
edited September 25 in Fitness and Exercise
My apologies if this has already been touched on. I did a quick search but couldn't find any topic.

My work requires that I move around a lot. I'm up and down from my desk, lifting rolls of vinyl, running back and forth between offices, etc. A friend suggested that I record it as "Walking - Slow Pace - 2mph". I'm not sure what to record for the exact amount of time though.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Replies

• beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    If everyday you did this, you could bump up your activity level to lightly active and then you wouldn't have to worry about how to log it as exercise. Or if it isn't really prolonged exertion, it probably isn't actually elevating your heart rate enough to get a good burn in. That extra few calories you burn might just make up whatever you accidentally overlog.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    I had been logging all my walking at work & commuting as 3 mph, because I typically do move rather quickly at work. However, this past week I stopped logging it all, thinking that I should just change my activity level to include all that walking around. We'll see if it makes a dfiference.
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    I log my exercise at work at 3.0 also as I'm a nurse and am "on the run" most of the time. I have my acitivity level to sedentary though because I want to keep track of my own calories burned not have MFP estimate about how many I should burn. Last night, I burned(according to my HRM) over 2000 but I only logged part of them.
  • As a nurse, I'm sure you move around A LOT more than me, Innocence. =) (adorable baby, by the way)

I like Beccala's suggestion of not recording it at all. My husband offered the same advice. That way I don't feel quite as guilty when I go over because of a tasty beer... like tonight for instance.

Thanks guys!
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    i do mine as walking slow pace for 2 hours even though im moving for 8 hurs. Going to get one of those hrm things so i can see what is actually burned. move alot of freight and within about 15 min im huffing and puffing and sweating.
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    I'm always walking. I think I got 30 minutes total of down time last night but I log mine in at 3.0 and I wear a HRM, though it's not a fancy one with a chest strap, it's quite accurate as far as I can tell. Although I never log all the calories it says I've lost, just about 40-50% of them.

Thank you, that's my little girl.
This discussion has been closed.