Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Needs motivation

Hey everyone. I will be 28 in July and I have a daughter (5 in May). My biggest struggle is actually having the motivation to do things to get me where I would love to be! I always feel tired, just wanna sit around, always feeling bored, making me tired and want to nap all the time. Interested in what keeps everyone motivated not only to start, but what keeps you going as well!!!!

Replies

• Totally feel your frustration. I'm twice your age and have always struggled with weight. Was always "the pudgy kid" in school. But, I walked right by the chocolate displays at the grocery store today, so I've decided to use the AA philosophies of taking it "one day at a time." Good luck! You're not alone.
  • This website motivates me. I like to read some of the successful stories and also read about other's challenges. Then I tell myself I can do it!!! I only weigh once a week. That motivates me because I like to be surprised at my weight loss. I've only been really doing this for three weeks now...

You can do this!
  • cobes24
    cobes24 Posts: 132 Member
    I've messed around with weight loss over and over, and have finally come to conclusion that my best motivator is anger. I am a ridiculously happy person by nature, so it takes a lot to piss me off...my weight has finally PISSED ME OFF...and I'm doing pretty good lately! I started running in March, and have been really consistent, but I drop SO many F bombs in my head while I'm running. I know lots of people who encourage themselves while they exercise--I ***** the whole time I"m running, and it distracts me really well. :)

You say you feel tired, which makes you want to sit around...I know that vicious cycle so well! I've learned (the hard way, which is the only way I learn ANYTHING!) that the only way I get energy is by burning some of it off. I'm not disciplined enough to lose weight just by diet...I have to exercise. Start small! Walk 5 min today...10 min tomorrow, etc etc. Sign up to walk a 5K--and see if you can get some friends onboard with you to motivate you. You're not too far from me I see, so I know the weather's been getting nicer (FINALLY!!) Great reason to get outside.

I also think it helps so much to have accountability. My boyfriend and I are both using MFP, and we can see what the other is eating...that fact alone made me walk away from the treats at work the other day, I knew I'd be busted! A few of my friends are using MFP too, and it's been really encouraging. You have to tell yourself (and believe it!) that you ARE worthy of a healthy body...and when you forget it, ask for help to remember it. Good luck!!
  • nachisdoll
    nachisdoll Posts: 192 Member
    One step in front of the other...dont think everything will change overnight (i wish) you need to think of little changes to make...drink more water....do 5 min of exercise....slowly slowly!:smile:
    i keep coming here even if i havnt logged my food or havnt done exercise....
    friend me we can help each other!:heart:
  • I have always struggled with motivation and I used to get tired all the time and want to nap! My sleeping pattern was also crazy. But since I have been on this eating plan I have been sleeping properly and having loads more energy (despite doing a fair bit of exercise and eating a lot less calories) I know I have only been on it for 5 days but it has really changed me.
    I have been taking Iron and multivitamin tablets every day because someone told me they will help make me feel less tired, I have also been trying to wake up really early and start my day with a jog or something because even though it is hard sometimes it means that I am ready for my day.
    In terms of motivation, I have received so much support on here from everyone else that I haven't had a doubt (or a craving) in the last 5 days which is a record for me :)

Good luck!

xxx
  • Your answer is very simple. GOAL SETTING!!!!!! Part of the reason I have been able to lose the weight I have is due to setting goals. Nothing so out of reach I get disappointed and give up. Small goals that lead up to where you want to finish. At first it was a pants size, then a shirt, then an actual number... so on and so forth. Once you start achieving those smaller goals and seeing results it makes it easier to get to your next goal. Or motivating you to achieve the next one. It's verry hard for anyone to stay motivated when they think it's for nothing and they don't see any results. Smaller goals are the stepping stones to success! Good luck and I'm always near if you need anything. Love ya!
  • Hi there, I am just new to the site, 4 days in....I have found it to be a very supportive site, the people on here are awesome. If you ever need a pick-me-up....just read the insperational comments on here, that will get you moving and keep you going. Feel free to add me as a friend if you like, always great for the support!!!!
  • Hmmmm. Motivation, that was pretty easy for me! Three things, I want to live a a long healthier life, see my grandchildren some day (prayerfully my grown men will marry and have children :), and my husband and I are renewing our Wedding Vows this November on our Silver Anniversary! I have spent the last 28 years obese, playing the yo-yo game! I am done with it! I had Lap-Band Surgery on Jan 31st 2011. It is not for everyone, but It has worked out well for me! With the assistance of the LB, I am able to control my portions now! I have learned to only make healthy food choices and now I exercise daily! (Except I am at an exercise hiatus right now because I had a hysterectomy April 1st. Time to heal for now!) I have lost 39 pounds and am about half way to my goal weight!

I know you can do this! Eat smaller portions, Make healthy food choices at the grocery store (my household eats healthy now!) exercise daily (Cardio at least 3x a week and take a brisk 30 minute walk daily) and don't forget to drink plenty of water. Take your children on a nice long, child's pace walk to include them a few days a week, they will love it! Get out and throw a ball back and forth, ride bikes with them, find enjoyable things to do and it will help motivate you! Make sure to put a ticker on your page, every time you see it move, even just a pound, you will feel like you have done something great! It is a fantastic motivator!
  • CommittohealthCHANGED
    CommittohealthCHANGED Posts: 436 Member
    Its time to take control now before your doctor gives you bad news like mine did a year ago. My mom had open heart surgery st 40 , years old. I am one year from 40, already taking blood pressure meds when doctor said I would need cholesterol meds , iron pills and abnormal blood work. Doctor wanted to run more test, I did not go back till a year later and 42 pounds lighter. Doctor was proud but did keep me on a low doses blood pressure pill. Everyday is one day at a time to me, if there is bad days then I make the next day better.