Getting protein without the fat

Options
lisaidem
lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
I need some ideas regarding getting in my protein each day, without adding fat. My ratio is approximately 40% cals from carbs, 40% cals from protein, and 20% cals from fat. My calorie goal is 1630. Without exercise, this is about 160 g of protein a day! I'm not even getting close most days, and I'm either right at, or over, my fat goal. Short of eating a whole chicken during each meal, I don't know how to get that protein in!
I am eating eggs in the morning or for a snack, Chobani greek yogurt (despite being lactose intolerant), sometimes PB on whole grain bread, meat at lunch and dinner...I'm out of ideas. I don't like nuts (they taste exactly like dirt to me!), and I can't add more fat. I'm not sure what a good alternative would be since I don't want to add carbs or fat, but this much protein seems almost excessive. Thoughts? Advice?

Replies

• FlyEaglesGuy
    FlyEaglesGuy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Try egg beaters eggs for breakfast along with turkey bacon . That's about 40grams right there.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Whey protein supplement
  • jnovak1
    jnovak1 Posts: 7
    Options
    gotta drink protein shakes! build lean muscle=burn more calories
  • Upanddown
    Upanddown Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Protein powder and egg whites :-)
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I use whey protein, been meaning to for ages. 50 grams of whey powder gives me 47 grams of protein, so I try to use 20 grams with breakfast whether it's in my pancake mix or my eggs for french toast / omelet or in a straight up shake. I use the rest in a shake later, there's no fat in the one I use.
  • FlyEaglesGuy
    FlyEaglesGuy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Whey protein supplement

Try Isopure zero carb whey protein. Delicious , zero carbs no saturated fat, and 40grams per serving.
  • tmontgomery69
    Options
    Cottage Cheese is a good source of protein.
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    zone protien bars. About 14 grams of protien per bar..lots of flavors to chose from. The only kind of bar I like...and I actually LIKE them. They have been very helpful for me.
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Whey Protein Powder shakes are excellent. A Woman on weight reduction programs needs 50-60 gms of protein a day. UNJURY protein powder is an excellent source. It comes in several flavors including an unflavored one which can be added soups, jello, puddings and many other foods to boost the protein content.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Yep. supplement with protein powder, and when you have eggs, go with mostly whites. I do the same ratios. I have a hard time most days getting my fats, I have to get them with nuts, and peanut butter.
  • bootbuilder
    Options
    Rather than the Chobani greek yogurt, not sure if you are getting the nonfat or not, try FAGE greek total zero. It has 23g of protein vs yours only has about 18. You can also buy egg whites, they come in a carton like egg beaters. Also chicken has lots of protein. HTH
  • veganbecky
    veganbecky Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Beans have lots of protein and practically zero fat. Split pea soup, lentil soup, pinto or black bean burritos, roasted chickpeas -- all great ways to get protein without fat. (plus a ton of fiber, iron, and other nutrients)
  • cocobeenie
    Options
    Have you ever tried promax bars? I love them.. Nutritional quality and taste are both great. I also kind of like that they are a little bigger than most bars so Im eating for longer and by the time I finish the bar I feel pretty satisfied. I never had a flavor I didnt like but I feel like Ive gotten a lot of the cookies and cream ones...
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    unless you are building muscle..which takes a calorie surplus, you have no reason to eat that much protein. we should only be getting 40-60 grams a day. getting too much protein is hard on the kidneys and can cause neurological problems.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/14563169/ns/today-today_health/

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=11234

http://www.livestrong.com/article/313539-side-effects-of-ingesting-too-much-protein/

ps yes you can get too much protein..
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    unless you are building muscle..which takes a calorie surplus, you have no reason to eat that much protein. we should only be getting 40-60 grams a day. getting too much protein is hard on the kidneys and can cause neurological problems.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/14563169/ns/today-today_health/

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=11234

http://www.livestrong.com/article/313539-side-effects-of-ingesting-too-much-protein/

ps yes you can get too much protein..

I've actually read a few articles that claim this is a myth. I think if you are prone to kidney problems, you should limit your protein. Just like a person who is prone to high blood pressure should limit sodium, but sodium doesn't necessarily cause it.
    Diabetics should watch their carbs, and sugars to keep their insulin levels in check. Everyone has different needs in their diet, and different things they should try to avoid. Most of these issues are more genetic, and less food related. I've seen several people succeed with higher protein numbers, without any kidney issues. It is important to drink lots of water though, and get plenty of fiber.
  • colombiana444
    colombiana444 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    youll almost certainly need a supplement for such a high goal.
    Is there a special reason you need it so high on the days youre not exercising?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I am curious why you're trying to eat so much protein, as that's pretty high. Not that 40% is an issue, It's probably borderline as far as going overboard IMHO unless you have a specific need for that much or reason to do it, but it does peak my interest. So if you could provide a reason, I would really be interested in it.

Otherwise, Generally, when I need to fill out my protein levels, whey protein, egg whites (very versitile), and baked chicken breast meat are the way I go. If you're going to go that high in protein, you're going to run into issues, and it's going to get expensive, protein is (lb for lb) the most expensive type of macronutrient to buy.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I would go for the eat a whole chicken option :)