help with emotional eating

ContinuousEffort
ContinuousEffort Posts: 136
edited September 25 in Food and Nutrition
I'm sure this topic has been on this forum before. I'm having trouble with it, especially right now. I've finished all my calories and
it's 9pm. This is my first week on mfp, so last week, I would have been eating an entire bag of chips right now (maybe a pint of ice cream too). I like the feeling of being very full when I'm feeling emotional over a trouble, it helps.
I'm not sure what to do to replace this habit. How do I change this strong pull I have to eat to feel better?

Replies

• Try to do something that will take your mind off it, something you can get lost in, like reading a book or watching your favourite TV show, talk to a friend on the phone and they can help you out with it.
    Hope you find a way to conquer the habit!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    it's going to be hard like breaking a habit... Drink some water... Stock your house with lots of fruit and stuff that when you want to snack you can eat....

Lots of water. Maybe even a journal about your feelings or lack of :)

Good luck... You can do it..
  • strbryt
    strbryt Posts: 488 Member
    Kelly,
    First let me say that everyone here is overweight for one reason or another and together we can change that. If I were you I would face head on what is making you so emotional. When you face it you can begin to heal from it and will not require the food for comfort anymore. Also when I am bored I eat and man or man can snack away the day. I have realized this about myself and I knew I had to do something about it in order to get healthy. Now I jump on this site and start piddling on here. I answer posts I look at profiles I ask questions, I help in any way I can, and most of all I let people know when times are rough cause they are here to help me through. Good luck and stay focused because you can do this. REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE WORTH IT AND NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS SKINNY FEELS!!!!!!
  • sarabellum
    sarabellum Posts: 88 Member
    I agree with the other posts - just try to keep yourself busy, go for a walk, write your feelings down, call a friend - like any habit, it won't be easy at first, but you just have to make a new habit for yourself, you know?
    I can definitely relate - I grab whatever I can get my hands on when I'm emotional or even just bored. Recognizing that your reaching for food when your really not hungry and trying to deal with the reasons behind why you're really eating will help you out for sure!!!
    Good luck to you and know that you're not alone :)
  • Thank you for the good suggestions. I started chewing gum and driving water. I need to get some apples tomorrow.
    Writing in a journal is a good idea, I'll try that too. I have to change and learn how to cope differently with emotions.
    I hope to find some ways that feel as good as over eating. Does anyone else feel that being over-full is a good
    feeling?
    I'll stay strong, and it's true jumping on this site helps...
    I started having troubles about an hour ago, and have made it through an hour reading posts.
  • Annie5859
    Annie5859 Posts: 280 Member
    Good for you to venture on this new journey of healthy living!!!
    It is going to be a challenge to make sure you don't overeat in the evening. You are probably hungry right now. But, what you need to do is spread your calories out so you have a bit to extend into the evening. Try and eat food with protein. The protein will keep you full longer. In time, you won't feel this hungry as your body will get used to it.
    About the emotional eating - I'm still trying to work on this myself. I've been reading books about this topic and it's a matter of making a conscious effort to not eat to medicate yourself. You need to deal with your emotions in a different way. I would suggest you perhaps read a book on the topic, or check out some websites. Whatever you need to do to get this under control and change your habits.
  • CalPolyBronco
    CalPolyBronco Posts: 201 Member
    It never gets easy....at least for me anyway. Just easier. Some suggestions would be to drink, drink, drink. Did you consume enough liquid today? I bet you're dehydrated & don't even realize it. That was a big part of my problem is that I wasn't drinking enough water. Also, at 9:00 PM....are you tired? I mean I know it's not too late or anything but if you've drank plenty of water at that point and you're not thirsty either I would suggest going to bed. Perhaps you're tired too. If you really must eat something then I suggest a very low calorie snack. A piece of string cheese, a 100 calorie bag of popcorn, a piece of fruit, or a fat free jello pudding. Good luck....hang in there.
  • I think tomorrow I'll go to the bookstore and get a book on emotional eating to read during these hard times. I am hungry right now!
    I'll check and see how much protein I ate, maybe not enough.

Thanks!
  • I'm exhausted!! I didn't sleep well last night. This is probably not helping my emotions.... and I don't think I drank very much today.
    Drinking water and going to bed sounds like a good idea.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Its 9pm. If all else fails go to bed. Right now I feel like I can eat, but I'm resisting it because I know I shouldn't. Remember food isn't your friend. It isn't here to comfort you. Its here to energize your body...your body's fuel. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • Thanks, I'm convinced that going to bed is a good plan.
  • All the replies are great suggestions.:flowerforyou:
    I have found for me - NOT staying up so late really helps.
    Drinking water really helps.
    I don't eat after 7pm so if I am still up at 11pm - I start wanting to snack. I only drink H2O after 7pm.
    I have changed my routine so that I am up no later than 10pm and up early to do my workout.
    I keep a 16oz water bottle by my bedside too and drink a full one during the night.
    I read an article about people that get, on average, 7.5 - 8.0 hrs of sleep a night lose 20-25% more weight than those who get less than that a night.

During the day ( especially around 2-3 in the afternoon) is my snack-attack time but since I started eating more small meals each day the snack-attack has gone away. I have breakfast, an AM snack, lunch, a PM snack, and dinner. I choose things that are high in protein so I feel fuller longer too and have found that when I am still mostly full from the AM or PM snack, then I don't want to eat multiple helpings at mealtime. One is enough and I am satisfied.

I didn't think I was... but I REALLY AM an emotional eater & and also out of boredom.
    I love MFP b/c I like to come on here and check out the Community boards. It takes my mind off myself for awhile and the others are so encouraging and inspirational.
    When I am emotional, I tend to clean now instead of baking.
    I also read somewhere that chewing sugarless gum also helps.

Best of luck
  • elle18287
    elle18287 Posts: 267 Member
    Emotional eating is incredibly tough and their are many things that can help you (water, taking a walk, gum) but sometimes you just have to tell yourself no. Then the feeling you get from the control you have over your body and your habits will make you feel even more empowered. You can do this.
  • cjwolfjen
    cjwolfjen Posts: 323 Member
    I know what you mean about that wonderful full feeling you get. It is so satisfying... and the urge to have that when you eat probably might never really go away. What you have to do is tell yourself "No" and that is the end of it. Then if you really want to eat something (eating isn't the problem, its the eating bad foods high in calories) then go ahead and eat but make it healthy. A little snack under 100-200 calories and a big bottle of water. Make yourself drink all the water. Water helps fill you up so much!

Sure it isn't that great full feeling you're used to... but it does the trick, and you will feel so much better about yourself afterward. I'm not an emotional eater but i have come to learn I am a stress eater. I eat when I am stressed. I also love that full feeling you get from eating good fattening food, and too much of it. It is a struggle but you just have to tell yourself its all in your head. Your stomach doesn't know the difference, once it gets some food in it, it's happy. It's your mouth and mind you have to get passed. You can do it!!!

Plus once you start losing even just a few pounds, and once you start FEELING the weight loss... it helps motivate you. One final thing to remember, we all have times where we go over our calories or eat something that isn't healthy. This is no reason to quit, give up, or go overboard and pig out on other bad foods. You just say "hey I had a bad day and tomorrow I'm going to do better." You can't be too hard on yourself. You have to be realistic.
This discussion has been closed.