Hello new fitness friends! Anyone have advice for middle age

Options
I learned about this site from a friend who is using it. I have always had a struggle with my weight. I did Weight Watchers about 10 years ago and lost around 50 lbs, which I have mostly been able to keep off. But as I am transitioning into peri-menopausal middle age, it's becoming easier to put the pounds on but much more difficult to take them off and keep them off.

I am once again joining WW (Weight Watchers @ Work), via a wellness program sponsored by my employer, trying to lose the last 20-25 lbs I need to reach my weight goal; and I am buying a treadmill...so I thought this site would be a perfect companion tool to help me in achieving my fitness goals.

I have just been on here for a couple days trying to learn how to use the trackers, any helpful tips would be much appreciated.

Looking forward to meeting people with similar goals, hearing about the successes of others.

Peace :flowerforyou: Joy :laugh: Love :heart:

Replies

• bebababy
    bebababy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    welcome to the site and good luck with those last few pounds. one helpful thing i can suggest is to save foods and meals you often eat so that you don't have to keep searching the database. you can save these foods under either my meals or another tab where u can label that food. i track everything put into my mouth so if it's a pat of butter to cook my egg whites i add that. just to keep it accurate and me honest; however, if it's too much than don't sweat the small stuff.

i like tracking exercise because you can eat back those calories so it's a reward and motivation to work out. hope you enjoy the site and the support it offers.
  • Tattooedmom44
    Tattooedmom44 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am also in my mid forties and have noticed the weight comes much easier, and takes much more work to get off. I have been using myfitnesspal for almost 2 weeks now and have already noticed some improvement in my "muffin top" that I seemed to have developed over the winter. :sad:
    One hint that has helped me is I have started carrying a little note book in my purse. That way I can mark down the foods that I have eaten during the day and then enter them onto this site in the evening when I get time.
    Welcome to the site and good luck reaching your goal!!!
  • badblood
    badblood Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I will be hitting 40 this year, so I thought it would be a good idea to get myself sorted out. If you have a smart phone such as an iPhone or an Android phone (like a HTC or a new Sony Ericsson or Samsung) you can download the mobile version of this site which allows you to enter the values before you eat so you know exactly how much you are putting in before you even have a mouthful! If I know what I am having for my main meals, I put this in first thing then I can plan the rest of my intake for the rest of the day. I also try to 'reverse load' which can be tricky mid week but it essentially means that I have the larger meals for breakfast and lunch so I use the calories during the day rather than a large meal at night and then just sleeping on them.

Not too sure about the weight watchers thing as this site is free and does exactly the same without having to pay to get weighed! You can also add your own recipes to here if you have family recipes then you can work out how to make them healthier or at least know what they are worth.

Good luck and stick in!
  • CaliAngel25
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I also usually eat most of my food for the day before noon, most of the time. Oh and my employer sponsors the WW@W so my fees will be 100% reimbursed after the 12-week program. WW did work for me and I used the things I learned there about portion control, activity, smart food choices to help keep the weight off.:happy:
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    hello and welcome
    ive prev done ww but dont really like the new system. i like mfp as it quite similar to the old ww point tracking. ive learnt loads about portion control and eating the right foods etc etc. i like that mfp is free! id say your work is fab to reimburse you and help u get healthy :)
  • CaliAngel25
    Options
    @ bebababy & tattooedmom44: Thank you! I like the idea of keeping a notebook, I actually do this while I am at work but should carry one with me too if I eat anything while I'm out.

I agree with both of you that keeping track of everything I eat and all my activity is going to be helpful. It helps me be honest with myself about my eating habits (it's so easy to just 'forget' that I ate that cookie....haha) and tracking my activity will help me keep focused on my goals too.

Good luck to all of you and I am sure that having the support here will be helpful too! :flowerforyou: