What if you eat way too much?

Options
saltorian
saltorian Posts: 192 Member
Hey, everyone. New to the site and I had a question.

I work at a group home for the developmentally disabled. As a staff member, I help the residents prepare food and go through their daily activities. Well, Tuesday was one guy's birthday, and we went all out with home-made pizza, cake, and ice cream. I totally had a plan when I went in there that evening (make my own little pizza on a slice of whole wheat, have some cake but with thawed berries instead of frosting etc.), but as soon as I started cooking and celebrating, I crumbled and gave in.

No big deal. I'm not mad or disappointed in myself or anything, just a little bashful, maybe (I make it a practice to laugh at myself!). I *did* eat probably 1400 calories in that meal alone, though! Yikes!

My question is: What do you do when you splurge and go way over? Is it best to just keep eating your normal, planned amounts after that, or should you reduce calories a little for the next couple days to make up for it? Also, what can I do to help myself stick to my good ideas in the future?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Replies

• gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    First, drink lots of water. Second, it's good to throw your body a curve ball once in a while. Third, a few months ago, I had 2 days of pizza because of family get-togethers, and I was sure I gained weight. The next day I got on the scales, and had lost 2 pounds. Confusing your body can be a good thing.
  • mkennedym
    mkennedym Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    i splurge sometimes, but I make sure not to make a habit of it. it won't kill your weight loss just to overeat for a day, it is when you start doing it every day or every other day that it starts to impede you. just make sure you stick with your weight loss diet most of the time.
  • h2onut
    h2onut Posts: 164
    Options
    It happens for sure! Yes, just put it behind you and get back on track today:) My best advice (and I sure wish I could follow it myself;) is to not beat yourself up over it, work out more this week, continue to pre-plan and stick to your guns where you can.
  • las5184
    las5184 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This happened to me just yesterday, but with homemade mac and cheese! Personally I was very disappointed in myself for going over, but it is bound to happen. Even the healthiest of people have off days where they splurge a little. To me, I think it is okay once in a great while. Don't punish yourself. Stick to your regular calorie plan and move forward. Next time your faced with a similar situation remember how you went over and do your best to stick to your calorie plan.
  • Colleen1980
    Colleen1980 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I think it's a personal choice, but I'll tell you what I do. I've tried before to "make up" for going over by reducing calories after that, but it hasn't worked for me. The problem is that the calories I consume now are just enough to keep me feeling full, so if I try eating less to make up for a mistake, I just get hungry, frustrated, and likely start a cycle of binging/starving!

I think the best thing to do is just try to get in a little extra exercise the next few days and go right back to your regular calorie intake.

Like I said, that's just my opinion, but I hope it helps!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Every day is a new day. Don't eat less, just get right back on the program. I hope you really enjoyed yourself, too!

On a side note, my husband is the HR director at a company that runs homes just like the one where you work. My hats off to you for the work that you do.
  • stitcherbeth
    Options
    Just make sure you drink you water and stick to your normal routine the next day, maybe exercise a little more, but that is not a have to. I have been on the go this week and was forced to eat out almost every day. Although I made decent choices, I was 1000 calories over one day and lost half a pound and 500 over the next day. I weighed in the next morning after those 2 bad days and lost another pound! So mixing it up once in a while is good for the body. I was stuck at the same weight for 2 weeks before that.
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I had a 'splurge' with a celebration meal on Thursday...which was yum..since then I have increased my water & veggies....and cut my cals by 2-300 each day..tomorrow I'll eat normally as its my major exercise day.
  • roxanea
    roxanea Posts: 59
    Options
    From my own experiences with food I have found that when I do not eat the same amount of calories every day I tend to lose more than when I do eat the same amount every day. I will have two day where my calories are 100 to 200 below my goal then I will have two or three days where I am right at my goal or a little over and then I will have at least two days where I am 100 to 200 calories over my goal.

The days that I am normally over my goal by 100 to 200 calories is because of the amount of calories I burned for that day.

That is something else that I have also found out that my calories very depending on what type of exercise I did for the day and how many calories I burned. I never burn the same amount of calories every day also.

I do not look at this as a diet but as a lifesyle change and have found that slow and steady is working for me.

Good luck on your journey.
  • WhitneyW78
    WhitneyW78 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Just brush it off as a mistake... don't dwell on it and start right back into your regularly scheduled programming. I find if I berate myself to all get out and back or try to restrict myself in the following days, I get depressed and eat more.
  • saltorian
    saltorian Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement and tips, everyone! We have another birthday coming up soon at the house, so I'm going to have to figure out a better game plan for next time. I wish I could just tweak the menu to make it easier for me (choose angel food cake instead of double chocolate, etc.) but the residents' birthdays are a big deal to them and I always help them choose and make their own birthday meal and cake, etc. Needless to say, these guys go right for the most delicious, most bad-for-you stuff on the shelf! ;-)
  • ProudMomoftwo
    Options
    #1) Don't beat yourself up! (it happens and you are open and honest about it)
    #2) Get back on track
    #3) Planning ahead is RIGHT - you are on the right track here. You know there is another party coming up and you WANT to do like you originally planned and have some but don't go over.
    #4) A good tip someone on MFP gave once was to eat a handful of mixed nuts and drink a glass of water BEFORE you sit down to eat any meal that you think you might go over on ( like special occasions etc). It works!!
    #5) Accept that there will be set-backs but that you won't go back to eating like that every day.
    #6) Tomorrow is a new day!

Best of luck!
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I do splurge at times... I just try to be atleast mostly consious of what I am eating... like avoiding really high sodium foods, that kinda thing. My big rule for stuff liek that though is to stop eating when I am full. I pay attention for that signal that says my body needs no more. I haven't found it has hurt my weight lost any.