Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I need help! :(

Hello there!

So I'm been doing the MFP thing for about 10 weeks now. I had put on about about 50lbs over the last couple of years because of comfort eating and had been trying to lose weight since last year. I started MFP in february and realised how much I had been eating, and how I was treating my body badly.

I had set my goal at 1 pound a week because I didn't really want it to be a "diet" I didn't want to hate myself for being hungry (I'm still in "I can't survive on 1200 cal/day mode"), I wanted it to be a lifestyle change.

The thing is, even with a calorie deficit off 500, I'm still not losing weight. According to the tracker i should have lost about 8 lbs! (The first 2 weeks weren't very good because I was just getting started) :(

It's really starting to get to me because I'm not seeing any results, does it take time for your body to get used to it? I do exercise at least once or twice a week, is not enough exercise the reason? I also eat too much fat... but it's still under the calorie limit... is that what I'm doing wrong?

I'd really appreciate some pointers,
Gaelle :)

Replies

• doramouse
    doramouse Posts: 160
    Are you logging everything that you eat? That one almond? Measuring the milk that goes in your coffee or tea? Do you weigh your food? I have been weighing my dinner protein so I can really know how much I am eating.
  • doramouse
    doramouse Posts: 160
    posted 2x's - accident!
  • swillis21
    swillis21 Posts: 251 Member
    *bump*
  • lily1972
    lily1972 Posts: 375 Member
    Hello! Stuck in a rut, eh? You must have so many questions! :ohwell: Here is a link I found incredibly helpful:
    http://www.jillianmichaels.com/newsletters/the-fitness-factor.aspx
    It would be my pleasure to help you out, if you like :flowerforyou:
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    I'd have to agree that the first place to look is at how you measure (or don't) your food. If you are eyeballing things, your logging is probably WAY off. You really ought to be using measuring cups and spoons and preferably, a food scale for everything.

A lot of people also seem to forget that liquids have calories, as do oils used in food prep. So do condiments. (And only because I've seen this with folks who came here from WW, yes, you have to log fruits and veggies here.)

If that's not it, is your activity level set properly? Your activity level on MFP should be set to reflect your average workday, NOT any purposeful exercise that you perform. MFP differs from most sites in this regard, so sometimes it confuses people.

If you are getting a lot of sodium (and if you are eating any processed foods, you are) and not drinking enough water, your water weight can mask weight loss too.
  • bradbyu
    bradbyu Posts: 14
    My wife had this problem and she did so research and found that keeping the net calorie intake closer to the goal calories actually helped her lose weight better and faster. She found that her body must have been in the "starvation mode" and not allowing her to lose the fat. I think I heard somewhere that women's "starvation mode" kicks in a lot sooner than men's so be careful about those deficits. Keep you goal for 1 lb a week and you should be fine, maybe even 1 1/2 lbs if you want. Exercising consistently helps too, just make sure you eat those calories back if you can. It will go towards strengthening your muscle and such. You can do it!

Moral of the story, keep those deficits small! (Also, if you run into a plateau again in the future, try changing the deficit by about 100 calories or so, but until then, try to be within 200 of your daily goal intake).
  • Kerriperkins
    Kerriperkins Posts: 35 Member
    What are you eating in a typical day? And if you were eating comfort foods, is this something that you are still struggling with
  • Be careful about how much fat you eat. I found out in January that I had high cholesterol and they recommended that I work out and simply lose weight. They said eat fish, like salmon, at least 2 times a week. Also, eat natural nuts, like almonds, as a snack but only a portion/serving. Always look at the nurtition facts, Fat turns into Cholesterol, and vice versa. So watch your cholesterol intake; it will lessen the fat intake. You need to eat the good fat if you are going to eat fat at all, like polyunsaturated fat. Stay away from processed foods.
  • McHeather
    McHeather Posts: 105 Member
    I had a look at your food diary and think you need to eat more healthy carbs like whole wheat bread instead of white, quinoa or couscous instead of pasta. Eat more vegetables and drink more water. Try to find less processed foods that have preservatives. I've been trying to eat according to Jillian Michaels Master Your Metabolism food plan - very hard to follow it strictly - but it all makes sense to me about how your body reacts to the preservatives in foods. She has a list of Power foods to add to your meals, and a list of foods to avoid. When I stick to those lists I feel way better and I don't really excersize much except my morning yoga a walking where ever I can. It's taken me years of modifying the way I eat and what I eat, and I still go back to my old way of cooking very easily - I find it very hard to be consistent, but when I am, I get results. I hope this helps you out, keep up the work and good luck!
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    One of the things that helped me was reading Gary Taube's book "Why We Get Fat". A lot of the information gave me a different perspective on my eating habits and exercise. I found I was getting way too much carbohydrates and sugar vs. protein and leafy green vegetables. Since then, i've had a steady weight loss.

I also read other books, this forum and other forums, to make sure I stay motivated and informed.

Eveybody's body and needs are different, so you will get a bunch of different options to try. Good luck.
  • lolalollipop
    lolalollipop Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks you so much for the advice :)

Yes I do log everything because I felt that there was no point lying, the condiments, the milk in tea (forgot the oil used in frying) but I wasn't weighing my food. I'd been eyeballing it like you said or measuring in spoons and cups. I do have a scales but I'm not sure if it's too accurate… I guess I should probably invest in a digital one…

I haven't been eating too many bad things like my comfort food… which was cream, cheese and chocolate. I do still eat those but in GREATLY reduced portions. I do feel as though I have my eating under control portion wise anyway. I do need to eat more vegetables and I've been gradually doing that. I hope it will get easier with summer coming.

I'll take a look at the Jillian Michaels page, I've seen her mentioned a lot on this site so I guess it works :) I'll also try to find the why we get fat book.

Drink more water
    Eat better carbs
    Eat more fish
    Eat less fat (I had seen this one coming)
    Preferably exercise more

I will try doing all these and hopefully it'll kickstart my body to lose those pounds :)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    I'd have to agree that the first place to look is at how you measure (or don't) your food. If you are eyeballing things, your logging is probably WAY off. You really ought to be using measuring cups and spoons and preferably, a food scale for everything.

A lot of people also seem to forget that liquids have calories, as do oils used in food prep. So do condiments. (And only because I've seen this with folks who came here from WW, yes, you have to log fruits and veggies here.)

If that's not it, is your activity level set properly? Your activity level on MFP should be set to reflect your average workday, NOT any purposeful exercise that you perform. MFP differs from most sites in this regard, so sometimes it confuses people.

If you are getting a lot of sodium (and if you are eating any processed foods, you are) and not drinking enough water, your water weight can mask weight loss too.

I agree 100%. I also think people rely on the package for serving size. Most packages serving size is even larger then you should have. You really need a scale.