Back to the gym

Options
Hello Everyone!

As of yesterday I have joined a gym again. I took a yoga class with a friend, and I must admit that the balls of my feet were killing me after the hour session yesterday. I dont really think that I will take the class on a regular basis as I did work up a sweat but I feel that today's cardio workout made me feel like I was busting my butt tons more than the previous day.

The reason that I am writting this topic is because I had an appointment with a personal trainer today, and they were not there at the appointment time and so I simply ended up running on the tread mill by myself. The reason that I wanted to talk to a personal trainer is because I dont really understand how to create a routine or mix up my cardio and strength building (weights). I DO NOT want to gain weight and so I would like to find something that tones my body. I plan on going to the gym every day and so there is plenty of opportunity for me to experiment.

I would love to hear some of your thoughts.

Thank you to everyone and keep up the good work!!

Heidi

Replies

• valerie58
    valerie58 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm the only one in my yoga class that has my shoes on. It helps me keep my balance and my feet don't hurt
  • HeidiAileen
    HeidiAileen Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    good idea!!
  • FlyEaglesGuy
    FlyEaglesGuy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    The classes you want to go back to are the ones that make you hurt. As long as it's not an injury, that means it is a good hurt.

You always want something that will challenge you to move forward harder and harder.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    sorry to hear the trainer wasn't reliable. You could try a different trainer, or just experiment with a few different classes...My gym has a lot of different options, which is great, because the training is extra and I don't have the money for it. But people who work there are always willing to help answer my questions and make suggestions to enhance my workouts...the majority of the time they're right on.

I don't recommend doing yoga with shoes on because part of the experience is feeling some different pressure points in the feet...but you could try it if you think it would help? I also agree that yoga is not a big cardio workout--I enjoy doing it on my own and occasionally take a class at the gym for relaxation and balance purposes, but I prefer my higher intensity cardio stuff.
  • NNsMomma
    NNsMomma Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I loved working with a trainer and joined a group class. There were about 5 of us who worked out together so we encouraged each other and it made you accountable - plus, the fee was cheaper. We learned how to use free weights, the equipment and our own body weight. I stayed with my trainer for almost 5 years before going on my own. That was almost 20-years ago and I still apply the same principles today. I wouldn't know what to do if I had not used a trainer!
  • Healthy225
    Options
    start experimenting on all the machines and free weights. try a few sets at different weight. try to do some cardio before and after muscle building. light weight more reps. les than one minute between sets. keep your heart rate up. good luck
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    if you have an iPod Touch or iPhone
    there is an app that can help you with that
    called Full Fitness, it tells you what you need to work in strength :)
    and do 60 mins of carido. so that could be anything you enjoy, like swimming, running, dancing, etc. :) whatever works for you.

it also shows what you need to do for strength if you didnt know how to do it.
    (almost all the workout with muscles shows how to do it in video)

if not, then you could go find a book that has to do with a workout routine.
    Make sure you find one that relates to what you want to do, and make sure its a good one. :)

hope that helps.