What are you Reading????

Options

Replies

• Hopey1994
    Hopey1994 Posts: 307
    Options
    Currently re-reading Five Love Languages - it's about the different ways people feel loved. It's a great read when you're looking to be a better spouse. Also great for parents!
    After this book I will probably read a fiction. Maybe Water for Elephants? I've heard it's good.
    I've tried reading The Shack about 4 times and can't get through it. I cry too much! Maybe one of these days I'll man-up and finish it. It's so beautifully written!
  • frubjious
    frubjious Posts: 355
    Options
    I'm reading One of Our Thursdays is Missing by Jasper Fforde, Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King, and Bran Hambric: The Farfield Curse.

I've just got One of Our Thursdays is Missing! Love Jasper Fforde. Have you ready on his Nursery Crimes series?
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I'm another Jane Austen fan, especially Pride and Prejudice, I have about 10 P&P derivative books, some better than others.

I'm also a total history nerds, so am reading about Mary Queen of Scots, and the lives of women in the 17th century by Antonia Fraser.

Anything by Janet Evanovich.

GG

Ooooh...another Jane fanatic! Woohooo!

I'm reading The 7 by Glenn Beck. After I finish this I'll pick up another fiction novel, just not sure which one yet.
  • kathymc54
    kathymc54 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Loved 'Room' and 'Water for Elephants' Just read 'Hoot' with my grandson
  • JJtexasgirl
    JJtexasgirl Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I just picked up Portrait in Sepia by Isabel Allende, but haven't started it yet. This thread gives me some ideas for good reads, though!
  • Delaina1
    Delaina1 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    The Shipping News, right now, with The Help up next, and then Diary by Palahniuk...

by the time I'm done with those, Stephen King's new one might be released...:love:

Just finished The Help a couple of weeks ago! I live in Mississippi so the history lesson behind it was really great. I didn't want to put it down!
  • Sonofabiscuit2
    Sonofabiscuit2 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde, I'm on a classics kick
  • Delaina1
    Options
    I LOVE to read as well! Recently I've read Eat Pray Love (much better book than movie), The Help (loved it because I live in Mississippi and could relate to the places they were speaking of plus a great history lesson and story line), My Sister's Keeper (made me cry at work), and I'm currently rereading Jane Eyre (for the 3rd time in the past 10 years- I find something new every time I read it as I get older)

I love seeing what everyone else is reading! I like to add on to my list!
  • Delaina1
    Options
    Are any of you on Goodreads.com? I love that site...it helps me keep track of books I want to read and what my friends are reading. I'm a middle school lang arts teacher, so I have a mix of YA novels and grown up stuff on deck most of the time.

I love this site. Definitely helps when you need a suggestion for a good book to read.

I just picked up Jodi Picoult's Sing You Home from Costco today. It comes with a music CD. It's raining and thundering outside so it's a perfect day for a good snuggle on the couch with a book and some tea.

Also reading Tom Venuto's The Body Fat Solution and Mark Lauren's You Are Your Own Gym.

You should try Shelfari.com. It is another great website to keep track of what you have read, what books you own, what books you want, and it gives to great ideas for new reads!

Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen is also one of my favorite books.
  • hiba_b
    hiba_b Posts: 20
    Options
    The Kite Runner is really good. Make sure you have a tissue box within reach!
    The Bronze Horseman is good too!!!
  • glendadykstra
    Options
    Reading... Anything I can get my hands on including cereal packets, etc.. I did love the left behind series and would love to have the movies.

Currently I am writing my fifth book and reading the Bible. Keeps me out of trouble with all the things I am trying to change with my body. Anne McCaffrey is a good writer for wonderful Sci-fi. I like Kelsey Roberts for romance. Nora Roberts has some fun romances and mystery/murder/mayhem/sci-fi. (Under J.D. Robb)

I found a new author (to me) and am trying those books. I think I will take them back, unread, they are just not flowing.
  • jlzrdking
    jlzrdking Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Now reading "The Girl Who Played with Fire"

Just finished reading "Horns"
  • aekriebs
    aekriebs Posts: 45
    Options
    I am currently a senior in college, so my reading list is far out there:

Turn of the Screw by Henry James
    Selected Poems by William Carlos Williams
    The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
    Voices of Freedom by Eric Foner
    A smattering of 19th century African American women's literature

I would read a book a day if I let myself (and sadly it is a sedentary activity!)! I only allow myself to read "for fun" while on the treadmill right now, and that book is "Firefly Lane" by Kristin Hanna right now. Great story about two young girls and how their friendship evolves over thirty years. I would recommend it to anyone.
  • brendachick
    Options
    I read "Dear Nobody" when i was in highschool.....from what i remember of it...it was sad..but i enjoyed it...It really made me think about the situation she was in and how hard it would be...
  • brendachick
    Options
    I'm reading "host" by stephanie myer. t's really good if your into sci-fi...i'm really not but i'm enjoying the read so far! This isnt at all like the Twilight Series (which i also love).....while there is a love story in the book its really about our soceity and how we conform as a society. The book has really given me a diffrent perspective to things ...
  • fallenmack1989
    Options
    I am currently trying to start reading The Fountainhead, but don't have alot of time. But I also have a couple books by Sir Ken Robinson on my list, and a few spiritual books.
  • austinjwalker
    austinjwalker Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    i'm also about to dive into Total Money Makeover by dave ramsey.

I read Financial Peace University in 5th grade as punishment when my parents realized groundings didn't carry a lot of weight with them. Had to read that and give pops a book report on it. ever since then, I've been hooked on Dave.

i've been through FPU the class a couple times, but now as I move to my first full time job in May, i figured nows a great time to reread it as a refresher course before I get blindsided by "the real world."

as always, i love talking books, but i can't always keep up with the MFP forums, they move too fast. hit me up on twitter if you want. @austinjwalker
  • hofdog
    hofdog Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    The Thank You Economy - Gary Vaynerchuk
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    The Traitor's Wife By Susan Higginbotham.
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I usually am an avid reader.. These are the books I've read in the last year...

1. Finger Smith - Sara Waters
    2. Hattie Big Sky - Kirby Larson
    3. Honolulu - Brennart
    4. Shanghai Girls - Lisa See
    5. The Girl with a Dragon Tatoo - Stieg Larson
    6. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan - Lisa See
    7. The Girl who Played with Fire - Stieg Larson
    8. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest - Stieg Larson
    9. Thanks for the Memories - Cecelia Ahern
    10. Eat, Love, Pray -
    11. Love, Rosie - Ceclia Ahern
    12. Water for Elephants - Sara Gruen
    13. Rainwater - Sandra Brown
    14. The Queen's Mistake - Diane Haeger
    15. The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes - Diane Chamberlain
    16. A Favorite of the Queen - Jean Plaidy
    17. Peony in Love - Lisa See

Loved every one! Especially Lisa See and Cecelia Ahern.