Belly fat :( Help!

Options
So i've been working out 5-6 days a week for the last 3 weeks. I've only gone over my 1200 allowed calories ONE time. I've lost 5 inches in my chest. and 2 inches in my thighs but only .5" in my belly?!?!?!?!

Does anyone have any advice on getting rid of belly fat?? I do at least 30 minutes of cardio every workout--usually it's around 45 minutes. Is there anything else I can do or am I stuck with belly fat forever? Please help :)

Replies

• FlyEaglesGuy
    FlyEaglesGuy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    How much cardio are you doing? And if so what kind?
  • Ninetta
    Ninetta Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mochadog
    Mochadog Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You can't target where the fat comes off.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    It will come off eventually with time :] some people lose from different areas first

Cannot stop reduce I am afraid D: just keep up the hard work and you will see results!
  • Angel1029
    Angel1029 Posts: 459
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. Usually belly fat is the last place you'll lose.
    I suggest weight training and HIIT (high intensity interval training)
    BUT nutrition is key! It's at least 80% of your results.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    last on, first off! That is the rule of thumb. My belly will go last, and it was the first place I gained. Stinks, but fat comes off in layers, kinda like how we put it on. Too bad we cannot spot lose, but we cant.:sad:

Keep up with the cardio. Funny, even my trainer who is very lean has a small layer of fat on her tummy. She said it is because she wont give up the carbs....loves her sweet and bread.

IDK.........we just keep trying, right?:ohwell:

:flowerforyou: Jeannie
  • UcallMeJay
    Options

true Story. You body will burn fat pretty much from random places. All you can do is tone up what is below the fat. Eventually your body will burn off the belly fat. But you can't control when. Just keep pushing and working hard!
  • mamaw53
    mamaw53 Posts: 71
    Options
    Sit ups and stretches have helped me.
  • tiffaniball06
    Options

i go to a professinal trainer and he told me the same thing and also with belly fat it's just the fact it's the first thing on and last off just watch how much fat you consume especially the bad kind
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I know you can't target... I wish you could lol.

And I usually do 45 minutes on the treadmill. Walk 1 mile, run 2 miles (usually at around 6.8 mph) then cool down for half a mile.
    Sometimes I'll do 15 minutes on the elliptical then 5-6 miles on the stationary bike which usually adds up to around 45 minutes. I take kick boxing classes as well every wednesday. My heart rate usually peaks around 180 (high I know, I have heart disease and a high resting heart rate for whatever reason) but when I'm in my groove I'm usually around 160 bpm. so I'm not being lazy and saying I worked out you know?

After cardio I lift usually 2 muscle groups.

It's just frustrating lol It's lower belly fat...i look like i'm just beginning to show a pregnancy even though I'm not pregnant lol
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating enough. You should be netting 1200 calories a day and from what I can see you are at time only 600 - 900 calories. You need to eat more so that you don't go into starvation mode. Maybe once you get up on your calories a bit you will start to lose more weight and eventually it has no choice but to leave the belly.
  • DonaGail
    DonaGail Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My belly is still pretty big and I think Im losing in my feet!
    My shoes are feeling looser-lol-this is going to cause some balance problems
    Im thinking.
    D
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I lost several inches in my belly area in the past month and even though I'm working out pretty hard, I attribute it to changing my diet quite radically. I have heard and read that losing belly fat is more about diet than exercise, like 70% diet related. I made some pretty major changes and it helped. This hasn't been a particularly great week for me nutrition wise, but feel free to check out my food diary if you need ideas.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating enough. You should be netting 1200 calories a day and from what I can see you are at time only 600 - 900 calories. You need to eat more so that you don't go into starvation mode. Maybe once you get up on your calories a bit you will start to lose more weight and eventually it has no choice but to leave the belly.

ahhh yeah. I try really really hard to get my net cals close to 1200. i'm going to start getting slim fast drinks and stuff so i can add calories without adding crap food to my diet lol. I get pretty close most of the time, but some days I do end up under
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Im thinking.
    D

:laugh: Yeah, I had to give away ALL my shoes!! Oh it was HORRible having to go buy new ones (hubs doesnt laugh at that joke:ohwell: shrug) Seriously, I think it had to do more with the sodium changes than anything.
  • FlyEaglesGuy
    FlyEaglesGuy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I know you can't target... I wish you could lol.

And I usually do 45 minutes on the treadmill. Walk 1 mile, run 2 miles (usually at around 6.8 mph) then cool down for half a mile.
    Sometimes I'll do 15 minutes on the elliptical then 5-6 miles on the stationary bike which usually adds up to around 45 minutes. I take kick boxing classes as well every wednesday. My heart rate usually peaks around 180 (high I know, I have heart disease and a high resting heart rate for whatever reason) but when I'm in my groove I'm usually around 160 bpm. so I'm not being lazy and saying I worked out you know?

After cardio I lift usually 2 muscle groups.

It's just frustrating lol It's lower belly fat...i look like i'm just beginning to show a pregnancy even though I'm not pregnant lol

It sounds like you are doing the right thing. You just have to keep up the intensity and give it time.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Im thinking.
    D

me too!!! i've lost a shoe size... I put on shoe size when i was pregnant, and my youngest baby is 2 and a half, and i've just dropped a shoe size since i have been losing weight. who cares about my bl**dy shoes, what about my butt?
  • MommaToFour
    MommaToFour Posts: 106
    Options
    Eliminate refined flours and sugars and you'll notice a difference with-in two weeks. It's what worked for me and I have four kids!!! :)
  • jamescuilty
    jamescuilty Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You should cut down your cardio from 45 minutes to 20 minutes of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). Your body starts to breakdown muscle after 30 min of cardio training and it's your muscle that will burn off the fat around your belly.

Also you should consume 20-30 grams of protein within 60 min of waking up in the morning. This increase your metabolism to fat burning instead of fat storing. A simple protein shake will be the best option. If you incorporate these two principles into your fitness program you will start to see results within 4-6 weeks.

These are the same principles I use in my own program as well as with my Boot Camp Clients to burn off tons of fat.

Good Luck!
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options

ahhh yeah. I try really really hard to get my net cals close to 1200. i'm going to start getting slim fast drinks and stuff so i can add calories without adding crap food to my diet lol. I get pretty close most of the time, but some days I do end up under

It's hard....well not so much for me getting to 1200 but when I started here I was doing 1200 calories and recently upped it to 1560..OMG I had no idea how hard it would be..lol. I don't have much left to lose and MFP hasn't failed me yet so I figured I would do as suggested and that was BEFORE exercise! I just started the 30 day shred to tone up and that adds another 200+ calories to my 1560 and at this very moment I have 536 calories left.

I just posted about higher calorie snacks that aren't super heavy to give me some ideas.

Good Luck! If it was easy the whole world would be thin :wink: