protein fluff (dessert)

chrisdavey
chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
edited September 25 in Recipes
Utensils required
electric mixer (with rotation bowl)

Ingredients
50g casein protein powder (this is the slower digesting type not regular whey, it mixes differently)
150g frozen berries (of your choice, strawberries, blueberries etc)
100ml skim milk

Directions
Thaw berries.
Mash in the mixing bowl.
Add casein powder and milk.
Put on mixer for 10mins.

It will fluff up into a mousse like texture. Makes a serious volume as you can see from the pics. I would probably have half at a time. This is perfect for before bed because of high protein that is slow digesting and minimal fat and carbs.

Stats for the whole lot:
341 cals
carbs 24g
fat 1g
protein 55g

photoki.jpg

http://img862.imageshack.us/i/photoki.jpg/

photo1zf.jpg

http://img29.imageshack.us/i/photo1zf.jpg

Replies

• CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    I'm sure this tastes great, but you gotta come up with a better name for it! :laugh:
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Thank you for sharing that recipe. Seems simple enough and sounds great!
  • chrisdavey
    oh, I would have but I didn't make it up so I can't change the name :P Got it from Martin from leangains website.
  • Can't wait to make it!! and I think I might have to check out the web too :):)

Thanks Chris :D xx
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    It works with some whey protein powders as well, but not with all. I have been eating it for a while and love it. I have also had success making it with water instead of skim milk.
  • chrisdavey
    thanks for the info mate :)

This was my first go that came out successfully so I'll stick with this method for a little while.

Apparently, mashed bananas work well too :)
  • rileysowner
    My protein fluff didn't today. No idea why although I was using frozen raspberries for the first time. It still tasted good, but no fluff to it means it is not as satisfying. Maybe the raspberries thawed too much. This is the second time this has happened to me out of maybe 12 or so batches. I will have to figure out why it does that sometimes.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Anyone know if this works with Amp Wheybolic Extreme (not sure why it would work with some protein powders but not all :( )
  • rileysowner
    I don't know why it doesn't work with some but not all. For that matter it normally works with the ON Casein Protein, but didn't for me today. I am guessing it will work with all of them unless they are too high in fat or carbs, but the fluffing depends on the amount of fluid. Too much and no fluff. My suggestion is try it, but don't add all the liquid right away. Maybe half to three quarters to see if it will fluff at that point.
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Severe casein allergies here so I am going to try it with egg white protein powder. I hope it fluffs up.
  • slimkitty
    Severe casein allergies here so I am going to try it with egg white protein powder. I hope it fluffs up.

It didn't fluff up, but it's very tasty. I am going to freeze it in popsicle molds. I think it's going to be yummy that way.
  • DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    Thanks! Can't wait to try it.
  • rileysowner

It didn't fluff up, but it's very tasty. I am going to freeze it in popsicle molds. I think it's going to be yummy that way.

That is surprising. Basically this is taking the protein and making a meringue much like people do with egg whites. I would have expected egg protein to fluff just fine. I still think the fluffing should work with all of the pretty much pure protein powders but the proportions of protein powder, fluid and fruit may have to be changed from protein powder to protein powder.
  • mmmm love protein treats :)
  • slimkitty

That is surprising. Basically this is taking the protein and making a meringue much like people do with egg whites. I would have expected egg protein to fluff just fine. I still think the fluffing should work with all of the pretty much pure protein powders but the proportions of protein powder, fluid and fruit may have to be changed from protein powder to protein powder.

It looked like it was going to fluff, but gave up in the end. I think I may have to play with the fruit and liquid ratios. The taste was so good, it's worth experimenting.
  • monylove311
    monylove311 Posts: 251 Member

Thanks for trying Egg protein. That's all I can stand. : )
  • rileysowner
    Based on this message thread here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/214342-protein-fluff-created-a-monster It has to be cold. That would have been the problem with mine yesterday, the berries were completely thawed and close to room temperature. Every other time I have taken them out when I start my workout so they could thaw, so it would only be 30-45 minutes and they are still half frozen. You might want to try again if the berries were no still partly frozen. The other time it didn't work for me I was also using stuff at or close to room temp.
  • Or if not cold, you can always add some crushed ice to help it fluff up.

Another idea is pre-make a huge batch of mix and then put it in the fridge.

Then when you want fluff, take it out and mix it for 8 minutes. Save a little bit of time at least for those of us who make it daily to consume before bed.
  • rileysowner
    I don't find the 10 minutes that much time to wait, well, longer than that when waiting for the fruit to thaw a bit.
  • debwaid
    debwaid Posts: 573 Member
    Bumping for recipe
This discussion has been closed.