SURELY this is a mistake...50 cal noodles?

Options
Hi guys,
So i'm from Australia, recently found a product called Brown Rice Ramen noodles, from Spiral Foods, website- http://www.spiralfoods.com.au/main_frame.html
So the ingredients for the noodles read: wheat flour, brown rice flour and sea salt.
Nutrition info is 237 kJ (56 cal) and 10.8 g carbohydrates per 88g...
can this be legit? My philosophy of life is, "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is' and I study nutrition -so I really can't see how this could be possible but maybe there's something bout brown rice that makes noodles made out of them so light!
Love to know your thoughts!

Replies

• funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    :O.... Perhaps the serving size is ridiculously small...
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    :O.... Perhaps the serving size is ridiculously small...

That is my thought as well. Perhaps 1/2 c.
  • krissy_pooo
    krissy_pooo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    ya but any normal pasta servings are 88g im pretty sure, and theyre over 300 cals and waayyy more carbs than that!
  • boofa88
    boofa88 Posts: 15
    Options
    the serving size is one pack (as per the label) - 88g dry weight i'd assume! just cooked it up and it made a HUGE bowl. i just thought, this cant be for real! hmm, may have to contact the company me thinks!
  • krissy_pooo
    krissy_pooo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    how did it taste?
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Okay, I went to my pantry and looked at several packages of pasta. 56g is a cup of dry noodles, and they're all about 220 calories. So.... Wow. I don't know. That does seem too good to be true. Even shirataki tofu noodles are 40 calories for about... I dunno, 3/4 of a cup.
  • boofa88
    boofa88 Posts: 15
    Options
    they tasted...WAY too good to be 56 cal :-) ahh well, have to email them. bummer cos we don't have tofu shirataki in aus i thought this could be good! (we have regular shirataki but it's a bit...y'know)
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Low in Fat and Calories
    Rice noodles make a good base for a low-calorie meal because they are relatively low in calories and fat. A 1-cup serving of rice noodles contains 192 calories and less than 1g fat.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/268523-what-are-the-health-benefits-of-rice-noodles/#ixzz1J5ICnTX5