BI-POLAR/Depression and losing weight

Options
I have bi-polar and my husband suggest I come here and see if anyone else is having more difficulty with losing weight due to depression/bi-polar or other mental disorders. So I guess I am putting myself out on a limb to try to find others who may need someone to talk to and help support me as well. maybe we can give eachother extra tips and support...just message me! thanks! there is no judgement so please dont judge me :)

Replies

• froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    A lot of medication for bi-polar and depression causes weight gain...you may want to talk with your doctor because there is a medicine called topmacs or topomax not sure of the spelling that does not cause wait gain, in fact it causes you to lose. It is expensive though and unless you have insurance it is pretty high.
  • Hopey1994
    Hopey1994 Posts: 307
    Options
    Though I'm not going through exactly what you're going through, I can relate with the mental struggles (I struggle with depression). I'm here if you need to talk....often talking about it does the trick for me (seeing a professional counselor is a great step in the right direction).
  • Love_cup
    Love_cup Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm going threw the same thing and it's been hard to lose the weight. Walking seems to have helped my mood and I haven't been as hungry for sugary foods. I'm always here for support or if you need someone to talk to.
  • liveinbliss
    liveinbliss Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I suffer from depression and anxiety. I generally have it under control, but I have noticed that when I severly cut calories it starts getting to me. I get really moody, tired and depressed. So I keep my calories higher then most, but eat a really well balanced diet. I work out hard and try to take care of myself. It's slow but it's worth it! Good luck to you on your journey.
  • justsummie
    justsummie Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I've had depression for most of my life. About ten years ago I went through nearly every antidepressant on the market trying to find a remedy but nothing really seemed to help. I had lost about 80 lbs and had kept it off for about five years. Then I was put on Adderall which at the time felt like the best thing I'd ever experienced. After 2 or 3 years on adderall I started having side effects and had lost my health insurance so I quit taking it. In the next 2 years I gained 100 lbs. NOTHING I did could keep the weight from piling on and NONE of my old tricks worked to take it off. I really feel like the drug affected my metabolism in a very negative way. I've never struggled this hard to lose weight before. It pisses me off but it is what it is and I've just gotta keep on fighting.
  • DimenaZhena
    DimenaZhena Posts: 102
    Options
    I am Bipolar. If you want to add me as a friend, you can. :) I know exactly what your experiencing!
  • dublvision2
    Options
    I think it's great that you put yourself out there and reached out to others. I have battled depression for almost 10 years now. It's not a constant battle, but it sneaks up on me when I least expect it. I find that when I am active, even just walking everyday, and eating healthy then the depression tends to stay at bay. Also, if I don't eat enough calories (like someone mentioned above) my mood is greatly affected and the anxiety and upset is increased. It's amazing what our body will tell us if we just listen.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    anxiety, depression, and binge eating disorder over here. it's tough
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    When a doctor put me on an anti-anxiety/anti-depressant is when I first started to pack on the pounds years ago. Three months and 10 pounds later he told me that was a common side effect. I wanted to smack him. And the drug didn't even help anyway. I found out years later that it screwed up the thyroid for some people, and I think that may have happened to me. I was overweight/obese for about 10 years.

I have family and friends with bipolar, both type 1 and 2, and am familiar with the added strains on life that go with it. Exercise - and LOTS of it - seems to the most helpful way to balance the meds and the food control. Even if you just walk, it beats sitting around struggling with what NOT to eat. Several of those close to me with bipolar have said they notice a big difference in how they feel if they get more exercise, and it helps with the weight control.

Although I don't have bipolar, I have a traumatic stress disorder similar to PTSD. I used to alternate between long horrible periods of depression, anxiety, and numbness. I would eat to perk myself up but then I'd see myself in the mirror and be miserable again... downward spiral. Ugh. Anyway, it was hard to start to exercise in my mid-40's when I was 215 pounds and it was 110 degrees outstide but things reached a point where I knew it was "do or die" basically. And a strange thing happened...

The more I exercised, the better I felt. Not every single time, right away, but I mean that over time I felt better not only physically but mentally. I was proud of myself for getting my derriere out there and walking morning and night, whether I felt like it or not. I did it. And when the weight started dropping off it encouraged me and raised my self-esteem. People started noticing and complimenting me. And somewhere in the back of my mind, where a little voice had long told me that there was something wrong with me, that I wasn't "normal" and that I would never be "good enough"... that little voice started saying new things.

You can do this.

You are worth the effort.

You're going to like the results.

You can do it too. ;-)
  • WinKitty
    WinKitty Posts: 119
    Options
    Thank you for starting this thread! I was going to start one soon...I just didn't have the guts yet. I have bipolar 1, diagnosed in 2004.

Weight loss is tremendously difficult for me--I mean, if I don't even have enough energy to take a shower, how the hell am I supposed to exercise? Pair that with emotional eating, and serious issues arise.... I also have social anxiety (say goodbye to the gym and pool), and seasonal affective disorder (say hello to Washington State). I take 400mg Lamictal, 300mg Wellbutrin, and 2mg Klonopin, and lots of vitamin D everyday.

Anyway, nice to meet you all, feel free to friend me.
  • Superdupermom
    Options
    Though I'm not going through exactly what you're going through, I can relate with the mental struggles (I struggle with depression). I'm here if you need to talk....often talking about it does the trick for me (seeing a professional counselor is a great step in the right direction).
    Yes I do see a counselor thank you
  • Superdupermom
    Options
    I'm going threw the same thing and it's been hard to lose the weight. Walking seems to have helped my mood and I haven't been as hungry for sugary foods. I'm always here for support or if you need someone to talk to.
    Yes when I walked 3 miles a day I could eat 4 big macs and still lost weight lol I can do it if I stick to it...thats the hard part because my mood changes and meds and stuff I go through spouts of depression and lose focus on what I want....
  • Superdupermom
    Options
    I've had depression for most of my life. About ten years ago I went through nearly every antidepressant on the market trying to find a remedy but nothing really seemed to help. I had lost about 80 lbs and had kept it off for about five years. Then I was put on Adderall which at the time felt like the best thing I'd ever experienced. After 2 or 3 years on adderall I started having side effects and had lost my health insurance so I quit taking it. In the next 2 years I gained 100 lbs. NOTHING I did could keep the weight from piling on and NONE of my old tricks worked to take it off. I really feel like the drug affected my metabolism in a very negative way. I've never struggled this hard to lose weight before. It pisses me off but it is what it is and I've just gotta keep on fighting.
    Totally! Its hard! I am on seraquel and clonopin...i think they are a gain weight meds...they make me sleepy too! sucks
    Health insurance sucks too... I think with your determination you will lose the weight!
  • Superdupermom
    Options
    I am Bipolar. If you want to add me as a friend, you can. :) I know exactly what your experiencing!
  • Superdupermom
    Options
    I think it's great that you put yourself out there and reached out to others. I have battled depression for almost 10 years now. It's not a constant battle, but it sneaks up on me when I least expect it. I find that when I am active, even just walking everyday, and eating healthy then the depression tends to stay at bay. Also, if I don't eat enough calories (like someone mentioned above) my mood is greatly affected and the anxiety and upset is increased. It's amazing what our body will tell us if we just listen.
    Yea thank you...I am so happy that people responded in a positive way I was honestly worried. I worry alot sometimes...my biggest problem is my mood..i seem aggrevated sometimes or irritated at nothing! I think that sitting inthe house all winter doing nothing but sleep and sit on the couch (seraquel in high doses knocks me out for 12 hrs ugh!) really effected my mood :(
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I don't suffer with it myself but I have studied psychology for 4 years and know that it is a very difficult illness to live with. It has been mentioned before but try and push yourself to get moving and get some exercise in. The endorphines released during exercise and after have been medically proven to increase mental well - being. Even a brief 15 minute walk in the sunshine or a few strength exercises can help lift your mood.

Good Luck to you all :wink:
  • Superdupermom
    Options
    anxiety, depression, and binge eating disorder over here. it's tough
    Me too! I go for food with warm fatty love! LOL
    I have anxiety, PTSD, Manic depressive Bi-Polar disorder....ugh...
    I just wanna be happy all the time and its like something just doesnt let me get there all the way.
    My daughter makes everyday worth living and fighting tho! I dont know what I would do without her!
    I wait to eat until I am starving and then eat 3 times what I would if I had eaten earlier! then before bed I grab cake....
    ITS TIME FOR A CHANGE! If my daughter wants to run around I wanna run too!
  • Superdupermom
    Options
    When a doctor put me on an anti-anxiety/anti-depressant is when I first started to pack on the pounds years ago. Three months and 10 pounds later he told me that was a common side effect. I wanted to smack him. And the drug didn't even help anyway. I found out years later that it screwed up the thyroid for some people, and I think that may have happened to me. I was overweight/obese for about 10 years.

I have family and friends with bipolar, both type 1 and 2, and am familiar with the added strains on life that go with it. Exercise - and LOTS of it - seems to the most helpful way to balance the meds and the food control. Even if you just walk, it beats sitting around struggling with what NOT to eat. Several of those close to me with bipolar have said they notice a big difference in how they feel if they get more exercise, and it helps with the weight control.

Although I don't have bipolar, I have a traumatic stress disorder similar to PTSD. I used to alternate between long horrible periods of depression, anxiety, and numbness. I would eat to perk myself up but then I'd see myself in the mirror and be miserable again... downward spiral. Ugh. Anyway, it was hard to start to exercise in my mid-40's when I was 215 pounds and it was 110 degrees outstide but things reached a point where I knew it was "do or die" basically. And a strange thing happened...

The more I exercised, the better I felt. Not every single time, right away, but I mean that over time I felt better not only physically but mentally. I was proud of myself for getting my derriere out there and walking morning and night, whether I felt like it or not. I did it. And when the weight started dropping off it encouraged me and raised my self-esteem. People started noticing and complimenting me. And somewhere in the back of my mind, where a little voice had long told me that there was something wrong with me, that I wasn't "normal" and that I would never be "good enough"... that little voice started saying new things.

You can do this.

You are worth the effort.

You're going to like the results.

You can do it too. ;-)
    Thank you so much for sharing with me! I hope I can get confidence like you did!
  • Superdupermom
    Options
    Thank you for starting this thread! I was going to start one soon...I just didn't have the guts yet. I have bipolar 1, diagnosed in 2004.

Weight loss is tremendously difficult for me--I mean, if I don't even have enough energy to take a shower, how the hell am I supposed to exercise? Pair that with emotional eating, and serious issues arise.... I also have social anxiety (say goodbye to the gym and pool), and seasonal affective disorder (say hello to Washington State). I take 400mg Lamictal, 300mg Wellbutrin, and 2mg Klonopin, and lots of vitamin D everyday.

Anyway, nice to meet you all, feel free to friend me.
    Thanks! wow sound difficult indeed! My husband said I should do the thread so I was like ahhhh OK LOL
    No crap! I used to not wanna get out of bed or go to work or anything ugh....i dont want to have my daughter and husband hate me for being depressed :(
  • Superdupermom
    Options
    I don't suffer with it myself but I have studied psychology for 4 years and know that it is a very difficult illness to live with. It has been mentioned before but try and push yourself to get moving and get some exercise in. The endorphines released during exercise and after have been medically proven to increase mental well - being. Even a brief 15 minute walk in the sunshine or a few strength exercises can help lift your mood.

Good Luck to you all :wink:
    THANK YOU!