Great Decisions- story of a newbie

Options
Hello to all on MFP.

I have been heavy my whole life. Even as an athlete in high school I was always the 'chunky' one.
I "worked" to be in a size ten or twelve in high school. “Thank you” genetics.

Then life post college started, things got really crazy, and somehow I never realized I got fat. How can that be? I am a successful career woman with a terrific family, a husband that adores me and a God that loves me. I am sitting pretty well. And sitting, sitting, sitting. Sitting in my 'corner office' chair. Sitting at my kid’s soccer games. Sitting at the dinner table. Sitting in my car running endless errands for my family.

See I have to confess... Mentally,I have always associated fat with lazy and I am not lazy. Frenzied yes- lazy no.
So, I put on 85 lbs (5- 10 lbs a year) from the day I got married and genuinely did not realize it had happened.
A humbling experience that changed my life…
I was coming back from a conference for work in early February and I went to take my seat on the airplane. A gentleman that was sitting in the seat next to mine gave me the look. Do you know what look I mean? The "Oh great! I have to sit next to the fat lady for the next 4 hours look." I sat for 4 hours cramped and miserable trying not to make him uncomfortable. I started thinking. If this makes him uncomfortable how does my own body feel carrying around this extra baggage? I made a decision at that moment to change.
A Series of Decisions...
1. I had to go public. I could no longer hide my weight from myself or my husband. I started this journey at a high of 260lbs. I am mortified to say it but it is true. See, just like sin, naming your shame takes away half of its power. No super-sucking panty hose or flattering fit takes away that reality.
2. I couldn't make this about food. I LOVE TO EAT. I LOVE TO COOK. I think it is an art form and I could never win a battle if I made this about my ability to resist a food temptation. I have not won in 38 years and I would not win now. I had to make this about what I am good at.... making good decisions.
3. I have to play to my strength. Although resisting food is not my strength I have been given the gift of insight and discipline to make the right decision. When I could frame this as just any other series of choices, I felt empowered and in control. I knew I could win!
4. I needed a daily goal. If I made this about the daunting task of losing 100lbs, I would never win. It is too big and too far away. I don’t want it that bad. But, I can make a one day at a time choice to eat 1500 calories, burn 500 calories in exercise and call it a day. If I do that enough days in a row I will eventually get there. I can make that daily decision. That is not that hard. After all, I make great decisions. I can even get over it if I make a bad decision one day. You see the game starts over tomorrow. But, I am a competitor and I like to win every game! So, most days, I make the right daily choice.
5. I needed to make this about health- not weight. I did not like to exercise. Any veiled attempt in the past to trim up was diet oriented not health oriented. I was not as concerned about the holistic approach of taking care of my bones and muscles. Now that my head is screwed on right the fitness aspect of exercise is just as important to me as the diet aspect. I know 70% of weight loss results come from diet. But, I know at least half of my overall health comes from exercising. This is revolutionary for me.
6. It is all in my head. I am not blessed with great athletic ability, a high metabolism, an indifferent attitude about food, a love for exercise or a genetic make-up that allows me to eat at will. In fact, over the years those facts have been my excuses. But, another fact is I have a great mind. If I keep this on the playing field I know I can win at- nothing can or will stop me!
Results...
In two months I have lost 28 lbs and feel great. I just started on myfitnesspal as I was using a different tool to track earlier. I am so grateful MFP has a blackberry app and that is why I made the switch. The daily accountability of the tool is so valuable.
I hope my fledgling success is an encouragement to all of you and remember- You make GREAT decisions!

Replies

• nomorefatbitch
    Options
    Good luck on your journey!
  • TashaP2011
    TashaP2011 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    This is such a great and inspirational story! Thanks!
  • cmw10805
    cmw10805 Posts: 2
    Options
    What a fantastic story you have! You are quite an inspiration!! And just a bit of advice as far as the exercise thing goes (I'm a personal trainer) DO WHAT YOU LOVE! It doesn't matter what it is, if you're being phyically active, something that raises your heart rate, and that you ENJOY, is what you're gonna stick with! I've always found that most people who hate exercise do well with walking because we all have to walk, period! If you ever have any ?? about anything, let me know!
    Best of luck to you-I'll be watching your progress!!
  • hnp0929
    hnp0929 Posts: 5
    Options
    Best of luck on your journey! I think you will accomplish all of your goals!
  • honichka
    honichka Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the encouragement! I walk/jog on my treadmill watching episodes I have on DVD of the West Wing. That is 45 minutes every time and I love it. I don't let myself watch it if I am not on the treadmill. I have also found that I really like Zumba. I even do some of the P90x stuff. I am not in shape enough to do all of the p90 but I like the Kenpo, Yoga and some of the strength programs. Today I just enjoyed an hour on the trails walking briskly as the weather had FINALLY broken here in Chicago. I agree. You have to enjoy what you are doing. Otherwise it is just another task.
  • Kebennett1
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! This is only the beginning. The journey ahead of you will take many paths, and will sometimes be rocky, muddy, curved or have uphill climbs or downhill spirals, but there will be many more straight, wonderfully clear, wide open paths along the way! Don't get discouraged, just remember that after a bump in the road, it is always smooth! Best wishes too you!
    I am 49 years old, and have lost 39# so far. I am about 1/2 way to my goal, healthy weight!

Please feel free to add me as your friend! I am on here a lot!