Quinoa

Options
denisec26
denisec26 Posts: 199 Member
im trying new recipes and i found1 that had this...i looked in 3 different stores by me and i cant find it anywhere. any ideas? i live in central fl by the way.

Replies

• VialOfDreams
    Options
    I buy it in bulk from Whole Foods.
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    It's a grain like rice and is usually found in the organic section of a 'regular' grocery store or try a health foods store. You can also find pasta made from quinoa which is a good alternative if you need to be gluten-free. :)
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    My regular grocery store carries this - it is in with the gluten-free section. You should also be able to find it in Whole Foods if you have one of those near you.
  • rkcinwi
    rkcinwi Posts: 7
    Options
    I've been trying also and haven't had any luck finding it (SE WI).
  • everydayepiphanies
    everydayepiphanies Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love Whole Foods, but the closest one is about 40 minutes away from me. I have to buy Quinoa at the health food store.
  • tiggy73
    tiggy73 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have a Costco near you, but they sell it there. I'd also try any health food stores that you might have near you. If all else fails I found plenty of sites to order it from online.

:)
  • sixpacking
    sixpacking Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Some Walmarts carry them by Bob's Redmill, also usually supermarkets with organic isle.
  • Twylyght
    Twylyght Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You would be much more likely to find it at a specialty or organic store. I don't know where you live but if you have a Whole Foods around you that would probably be one of your best bets. I hope you can find a store so you can try your new recipe!! Good Luck!!
  • Christie422
    Christie422 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    So funny, I've been looking for this for MONTHS and finally just found it in my regular grocery store. It was in the organic section way down low on the bottom shelf close to the steel cut oats. Tried it for the first time a few nights ago...LOVED IT!
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I find it on the rice aisle at Walmart. They only have the white Quinoa though. I have found the red and the black at Natural grocers also on the aisle with the rice.

Good luck! Quinoa is great.

I am in Texas, but maybe I helped:bigsmile:
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Bobs-Red-Mill-26-Ounce-Packages/dp/B000EDG3UE

(it's a 4-pack, though. Not sure if you want that much.)
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I've found it near the rice, or in the breakfast section near oatmeal, or in the organics / health food section. Keep looking. It's great!
  • Azuleelan
    Azuleelan Posts: 218
    Options
    Amazon sells quinoa, if you happen to be into buying online (I am!):

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=quinoa

Options
    I LOve quinoa. I cook it and add green veggies and some chicken sauteed in garlic and onion. THE BEST.
  • kashalady
    Options
    If your in the Milwaukee area, Sendiks has it.
  • JAG1224
    JAG1224 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I live in FL and I can get quinoa at Publix & Walmart. I made Quinoa "Fried Rice" the other day.. Here's the recipe..

4 cups cooked quinoa
    8 scallions, chopped
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    2 red peppers, diced small
    1 tomato, diced small
    4 tsp low sodium soy sauce (for gluten free use gf tamari)
    2 tsp fish sauce
    2 tsp vegetable oil
    spray oil
    3 egg whites, scrambled
    1 whole egg, scrambled
    salt

In a nonstick wok, spray oil and add the eggs and salt and cook a minute or two until done. Set aside.

Add the remaining oil to the wok and add the scallions, peppers and garlic. Saute about a minute, add the tomato and stir in all the quinoa. Add soy sauce and fish sauce stir to mix all the ingredients. Keep stirring a few minutes, then add cooked scrambled egg. Adjust soy sauce if needed to taste and mix well another 30 seconds.

As a side dish:
    Servings: 5 servings • Serving Size: 1 cup • Calories: 252.3 • Fat: 6.3 g • Carbs: 39 g • Fiber: 5.6 g • Protein: 11.7

As a main dish:
    Servings: 4 servings • Serving Size: 1 1/4 cups • Calories: 315.4 • Fat: 7.8 g • Carbs: 48.7 g • Fiber: 7.0 g • Protein: 14.6
  • shellgib
    shellgib Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    can be tricky to find. some stores stock it with the grains/rice, some with gluten-free stuff, some with organic stuff, some with oats/flours. just have to really search the shelves.
  • chelios7
    chelios7 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    4 lb bag at Costco for $8.99
  • chelios7
    chelios7 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Earthly-Delights-Organic-Premium-Resealable/dp/B0036FB6FY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

This is the same bag I bought at Costco for $8.99. Quite the savings.
  • onawho
    onawho Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am in Central Fl too, Publix carries it. The best one I have heard is Havest something or other. LOL ....