What to eat when im on the go with kids

Options
Hi. my first real post!.

Im always on the go with my kids. Sometimes we stop and get them chicken and apple slices at a fast food place (bad i know) what can i eat or pack to eat on the go so i dont get tempted to eat a cheeseburger..etc.?

Replies

• merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I think if you make the right choices at fast food places, that's not a horrible thing. I would plan ahead- bring food with you. I know when I am hungry and have no food with me, I want to splurge on junk!
  • mihaiAL
    mihaiAL Posts: 4
    Options
    I think if you make the right choices at fast food places, that's not a horrible thing. I would plan ahead- bring food with you. I know when I am hungry and have no food with me, I want to splurge on junk!

Thats just it and once i have splurged i think "well might as well splurge all day i already ruined it" which isnt good thinking. Any ideas of things i can bring to eat in the car?
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    As a snack, I've just discovered Larabars... they are all fruit and nuts and delicious! Stick one in your bag and nibble that when you want something bad. They are so much healthier and easily portable when on the go. When you want a cheeseburger, sometimes you just have to have a cheeseburger. Just say no to the fries.... they are my downfall!!!! Some of the new salads McDonald's has a good, the southwest one is yummy! As a working Mom, it's hard... I love Subway for their fresh veggies and apple bags and low fat choices. My kids like it too, so I don't feel bad treating them to that once in a while.
  • Runner_mick
    Runner_mick Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I always have a serving size of wheat thins or a fiber bar. Kellogs makes good one. You can always carry grapes, sliced apples in small containers for easy and healthy snacking. My daughter loves granola bars and bananas so I have that one hand in the car as well.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Carry cold water everywhere. A lot of times when we are tempted to eat it's actually because we are thirsty!! If you are going to be gone a long time, put a little mini-cooler in the car with healthy drinks. Fruit (even dried fruit) and carrot sticks are also great snack items. Nuts are higher in calories, obviously, but have protein (particular peanuts) and "good fats." Plain popcorn is also a good snack.
  • MandyC82
    MandyC82 Posts: 73
    Options
    Old Dutch fat free pretzel thins are AWESOME, any fruit really, 100 calorie snack packs, that kind of stuff...when I'm with my kids and we go through the McDonalds drive through I'll get a snack wrap with no cheese (Chipotle BBQ is a personal fav) or just a large unsweetned tea (but I like that kind of stuff). Good luck!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I buy a big bag of raw almonds, and portion them out into 20-25 almond portions, put in freezer bags. I always carry one of these with me.
  • Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    cereal bars, fruit, low-cal yoghurt/dessert pots, home-made sandwiches...i cant think of any more just now lol
  • mignalg
    mignalg Posts: 30
    Options
    I always pack food for us to eat when we are out and about. I cut up veggies and fruits and put them in baggies. I also don't allow my kids to have unhealthy sugar snacks. So I bring along healthy snacks, like yogurt or peanut butter sandwiches or turkey sandwiches. Basically, whatever we would eat while at home, I bring it on the road with us. I even have a little cooler that I put things in if they need to stay cold. Good luck, I know how hard it is to maintain good eating habits while out and about, it definately takes more time and effort and you may look like a werido (like I did while I was walking the mall munching on celery sticks, LOL.), but it all worth it when you are staying healthy and setting good examples for your kids. It has gotten to the point that my three year old will tell me she needs a healthy snack and not M & M's ...I was such a proud mommy. Good Luck!!!!!!
  • carolinedb
    carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids, but I am always on the go with work and school. I keep what I call a "thin pack" with a serving of almonds, string cheese or a Laughing Cow wedge, often some grapes or a clementine, and a few "flatbread" style crackers on me at all times. It keeps me from every getting so hungry that I cave and eat something horrible.

Also, I always order the kid's meal size whenever I have to eat fast food. It keeps the portion sizes fairly low, and I always order the fruit side instead of fries. As long as you make good choices, you can eat anywhere!

Good luck!
  • stitcherbeth
    Options
    I have teenagers and I am always on the go. I do eat fast food like subway and Wendy's salads and occasionally a cheeseburger. I learned to make educated choices when eating out. also, a splurge once in a while is not a bad thing. it keeps your system in line. I always enter my food as accurately as possible, and if I have time at the end of the day and I have been on the go, I throw in some extra exercise if I am close to going over on my calorie count.

Things to keep in a bag to take to the vehicle include: raisins, apples, carrot and celery sticks, pretzels (watch the salt, though), nuts, whole wheat crackers, healthy dried cereal, water. I ALWAYS have wheat crackers and water in my vehicles as part of an emergency kit. I do dip in there occasionally.
  • emsibun
    emsibun Posts: 208
    Options
    Not sure if you have these where you live but I always have an Eat Natural bar in my bag - I find them pretty filling too.

http://www.eatnatural.co.uk/View-Products.aspx?Category=EatNaturalBars

I'm pretty sure other here could find a healthier snack (just a tub of almonds perhaps without the glucose syrup the bars contain) but I find them very satisfying and not a compromise at all when my kids or husband are eating something I'd like too! There has to be a balance for me or I'd be miserable.

Edited to add: Some cereal bars can be really full of sugar. Just be careful which brands you pick!
  • skypie23
    skypie23 Posts: 38
    Options
    Good question! It was torture sitting in MacDonald'''s last week watching my daughter eat a happy meal. I pinched a few of her apple slices and finished off her milkshake but I so nearly went and got myself a big mac. We go out in the day a lot too and I need an alternative to sandwiches. I do like flavoured rice cakes instead of crisps, or sushi packs instead of sandwiches, but I wish I had more choices.