Please wear a helmet!

Options
2»

Replies

• lilybean17
    lilybean17 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think people look like IDIOTS when they're not wearing a helmet. Any excuse is crap. My brother had a very bad fall off his bike last year and thankfully came away only with a very very bad concussion and a horribly scratched up face. I say only because if he hadn't been wearing his helmet we were assured he would have permanent brain damage or would have died. Yes, it's your choice, but make the right one.
  • shallo
    shallo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    While not stated in the nicest way, I agree with katashi. I also think seatbelt wearing should be removed from the law as well. Do I wear mine? Yes. However, I firmly believe that is my choice as an individual. Whether I choose to wear it or not will in no way impact other drivers. Same goes for helmets. When I climb onto the Harley, wearing that helmet should be MY choice. If I get into an accident and get hurt, that is MY problem. It won't affect anyone else. God Bless Texas law!
    If you end up in an accident and get injured enough that you can't work so you go on disability then it is the problem of the people paying taxes
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    While not stated in the nicest way, I agree with katashi. I also think seatbelt wearing should be removed from the law as well. Do I wear mine? Yes. However, I firmly believe that is my choice as an individual. Whether I choose to wear it or not will in no way impact other drivers. Same goes for helmets. When I climb onto the Harley, wearing that helmet should be MY choice. If I get into an accident and get hurt, that is MY problem. It won't affect anyone else. God Bless Texas law!

That's not actually true. It does affect other people. If you happen to cause an accident in which you are very badly injured, the other driver could lose their home and all of their savings trying to pay for your medical care the rest of your life.

And even if you didn't manage to bankrupt the other driver or your family or the state of Texas, I have to believe that at least one person in your life loves you and would suffer tremendous pain and burden caring for you for the rest of your compromised existence following a horrific, but survivable, head injury.
  • JE55Y
    JE55Y Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Yes and then after you have suffered a severe enough head injury because you didn't wear a helmet or because you went flying through the windshield, the state now gets to pay you disability.

Or someone in your family gets to spend the rest of your life taking care of your daily needs. It may be your choice, but it impacts others when you make it.

Well said Becky!
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    there are two types of riders those whom have fallen and those whom will fall ....... wear a helmet
  • garysgirl719
    garysgirl719 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Yes and then after you have suffered a severe enough head injury because you didn't wear a helmet or because you went flying through the windshield, the state now gets to pay you disability.

Or someone in your family gets to spend the rest of your life taking care of your daily needs. It may be your choice, but it impacts others when you make it.

The same can be said for any accident. Should we prevent all swimming because someone might jump in and break their neck? No, we trust adults to make adult decisions. The same should be applied to helmets.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options

The same can be said for any accident. Should we prevent all swimming because someone might jump in and break their neck? No, we trust adults to make adult decisions. The same should be applied to helmets.

you may think you have control over your own decisions but when cycling you cant control the variables
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    I rode my bike today 15 miles with my helmet on all the way. Wearing a helmet makes me feel like a more serious rider. Plus my brain is my life. I'm less worried about a fatal crash then one that leaves me incapable of caring for myself and making a living.