Tall women 5'9 or taller

Options
Any Tips Or Helpful comments ? 5'9 176 pounds trying to get down to 145 pounds at least by august.

Replies

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Any Tips Or Helpful comments ? 5'9 176 pounds trying to get down to 145 pounds at least by august.

I am 5'9" I started at 196 last August and am now 162. I am trying to get to 140 but will be estatic to get 150. I run a lot training for the half marathon. Stick with MFP, drink lots of water and a good exercise routine and you will get there.
  • _Jessica_
    _Jessica_ Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    im 5'9 SW257 CW 227. Stick with MFP... I stoped for a week or so and got totally off tract. I find logging my meal before I eat it really makes a big difference. I walk every day at work and take the stairs... Sometimes I have to park on the seventh level at the parking ramp, but I still take the stairs down AND back up again.... Good luck to you!
  • JaneP2011
    JaneP2011 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm that height and used to be 145 and my habits at that weight were:

i) run 5k 3-4 times a week plus two strength-training sessions ..
    ii) no alcohol or tea/coffee. I would only drink green tea, water and diet soda
    iii) daily calorie intake around 1700

Well over the last 18 months or so I gradually stopped doing all that and my weight has crept up to 158. I'm still 'healthy' for my height but I've been steadily putting on a pound a month just because I wasn't doing the above routine ...

so I'm now trying to get back into those behaviours because that's what worked for me

Good luck with your weight loss!
  • alisonnicole84
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and 178, I'd like to get down to 160 or so. The biggest and most rapid drop in weight happened when I really started watching my salt intake and drinking a lot of water. Also, switching up my exercise routine made a huge difference! Good luck!
  • hail87666
    hail87666 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and 172lbs, used to be 130lb
    Only started a week ago but I want to get down to 140lb (10st) and have some definition.
    My plan is to increase my fitness levels by running a little bit further each time and hopefully lower my heart rate, do more strength/resistance regimes, drink more water and stop snacking on rubbish at work.
    Please add me anyone in this group :wink:
  • prov31ms
    prov31ms Posts: 62
    Options
    I'm 5'10" with a large bone structure.
    And unfortunately I was not blessed to be a tall woman with long legs - I have a long torso instead.
    I started the beginning of the year at 190 lbs (struggling to fit into my size 14 jeans)
    My goal is 155-160 lbs (or a really fit 160-165)
    I'm currently at 171-174 (I've been stuck here for a few weeks!) (now fitting into my size 12 jeans)
    I am trying to get re-focused and back on track and losing weight again!
    I'd love to know what you other tall gals find to be a good calorie range for not being hungry but still losing weight (1/2 lb. a week) ?
    TIA!
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! I am doing my best and hoping it works. My plan is eating between 1400 and 1700 cal per day- and doing cardio 6 days a week and strength training a couple of days a week. My goal for calorie burn daily is 1000+.

I have had my weight down to 129 lbs long ago (I'm 5'10) and looked emaciated- a good strong healthy weight for me is about 143. I have a large bone structure and am fairly muscular naturally- so, that is where I feel fabulous- I just had my 4th child and gained a ton during pregnancy- plus had an extra 30 on me already, so I'm working hard to get to my goal. I will not be fat another summer!
  • littlemissanguissette
    littlemissanguissette Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 6', and I want to get down to 135. But I've kind of forgotten that number and started to stretch and try to tone. No reason being skinny and flabby, might as well be toned and weigh a bit more!

I really need to start watching my sodium intake, I think that might be my problem. :)

When I was at 140 and maintaining, I was running a mile a day on the treadmill, eating about 1400 calories.
  • rileydi
    rileydi Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am 5'11...and so glad you posted this for all us tall girls! I currently am 200, and miserable :frown:
    About 3 years ago I was 145, strong, healthy and loving it...the weight just crept on and I have no idea how I could let it. I would give anything to get back down to 150...but right now I am focused on 185, that is my first goal and then down from there. Any helpful hints or suggestions on how to make it happen all you ladies who have been where I am currently at and have lost??
    Would love to have to have tall girl friends! Feel free to add!!
  • hail87666
    Options

And unfortunately I was not blessed to be a tall woman with long legs - I have a long torso instead.

That's me aswell :( wish all my height was leg
  • mynewyorkad
    Options
    I am 5'10 and my lowest weight was about 3 years ago at 160. I looked pretty great and could fit size 12. I would love to get to 160 again, and ideally go to 140. I gained so much in college. I have a lot of work to do. But what is working for me now is 1.5-3.1 miles 3 days a week at a slow jog, jazzercise on Saturday mornings, and strength training about 3 times a week as well. It seems like the weight has been melting off the last two weeks, I can only hope it continues as it is.

:) Good luck everyone!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

I don't know if having long legs is a good thing. I can't buy off the rack pants. I can only wear a long/tall and the Tall girl shops is too long. So I am pretty limited on the brands I can get which makes it pretty frustrating. Thankfully retail has gotten way better catering to long legs
  • rileydi
    rileydi Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10 and my lowest weight was about 3 years ago at 160. I looked pretty great and could fit size 12. I would love to get to 160 again, and ideally go to 140. I gained so much in college. I have a lot of work to do. But what is working for me now is 1.5-3.1 miles 3 days a week at a slow jog, jazzercise on Saturday mornings, and strength training about 3 times a week as well. It seems like the weight has been melting off the last two weeks, I can only hope it continues as it is.

:) Good luck everyone!

I would give anything to have the weight melt off!! I haven't lost eally anything, and it is depressing. I am terrible at running...and actually running for me is a really fast walk! I am ultimately aiming for 150..and would give anything to just have 10-15 melt off for right now and then go from there.
  • Determined24
    Determined24 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I am 6'1 I weigh 225 I started at 240 my lowest weight was 160 which I believe was to thin for me just because of my bone structure. I am trying to get down to 200lbs then 190lbs. I currently drink only water if I drink anything other than that it is tea. I eat no bread no fried foods and no sugar (I try not to). I try to do cardio at least 3-4x a wk strength train twice a week. I also eat grapefruit behind every meal or juice they say it speeds up your metabolism not sure if its true but it seems to be working. I have lost 15lbs by just doing this in the last month in a half months. Now that I have MFP its working out even better because I can keep up with my calories.
  • prov31ms
    Options

I don't know if having long legs is a good thing. I can't buy off the rack pants. I can only wear a long/tall and the Tall girl shops is too long. So I am pretty limited on the brands I can get which makes it pretty frustrating. Thankfully retail has gotten way better catering to long legs

I can buy jeans off the rack - but I have a heck of a time finding tops that are long enough! And my legs just look stocky :(
  • MissDwood
    MissDwood Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hey all my tall beautiful ladies!!! I'm 5 foot 9.5 inches and I"m currently at a weight of 232 :( but hopefully that will all change with the help of my MFP friends!!! In high school I weighed about 160 which was a pretty good weight for me(funny because back then I thought I was fat lol) But I am so excited about this journey and I hope we all can help each other be successful!! Feel free to add me :)
  • Krys_T
    Krys_T Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and like a previous poster said I'm more torso and less legs and my bone structure is a lot heavier. So for me 165 is perfect for me. That was my weight when I played volleyball and I was about 15% body fat. So I was pretty happy with that. If I weighed less...I would look like a bobblehead lol. But it all depends on where you have been before. The best thing is to stick to MFP, watch your sodium intake, lots of water and strength training is key for us tall ladies...it leans the body out :). Good luck girl!
  • Cori615
    Cori615 Posts: 100
    Options
    Well im not as tall as you guys im 5'7. But I'm mexican and most are short so I am always towering over everybody! Im 180 right now and I thing 150 will be perfect for me. I have long legs, too long for average but not long enough for long jeans. Anyways cardio and streght training. Also watching what you eat.
  • hail87666
    Options
    Hey all my tall beautiful ladies!!! I'm 5 foot 9.5 inches and I"m currently at a weight of 232 :( but hopefully that will all change with the help of my MFP friends!!! In high school I weighed about 160 which was a pretty good weight for me(funny because back then I thought I was fat lol) But I am so excited about this journey and I hope we all can help each other be successful!! Feel free to add me :)

I thought I was fat when I was 130! And looking back at pictures, I cannot believe I ever thought that! 140 is a healthy weight for me. Our own perception of ourselves is a strange thing.
    I thought that my start weight was 172 as that was the last time I weighed myself (weeks and weeks ago) - so could have cried this morning when I weighed myself in at 175.4 after a slog of a week at the gym. But then I actually faced the annual health check report (I have hypothyroidism and am prone to low serum ferritin) that my GP did last week and she put me at 180 (I was crying then and refused to look at the scales). Turns out I was in denial. Which doesn't help when you're trying to measure your weight loss. Was kinda stupid that I could start this 'journey' completely blind. So now I don't know whether I'm happy that I have lost some this week and therefore it is possible, or totally gutted that the road has just got that bit longer now :S

And I have the same problem as the rest of you, my legs are too long for regular but not long enough for tall - so frustrating! But all my length is in my torso. I find it so annoying that all the jeans in summer are low rise ....low rise is a lot lower on me than the 'regular' woman :(
  • prov31ms
    Options
    I find it so annoying that all the jeans in summer are low rise ....low rise is a lot lower on me than the 'regular' woman :(

Yes!!! I cannot wear low rise jeans either - LOL

I have no idea what I weighed in High School, but looking back I was fit & healthy, I wore sizes 10-12, depending. And, I also thought I was too big - especially compared to many of the other girls at school, and I always wished I was petite...

As I was unsure of my High School weight, I found a few neat ideal weight calculators online which helped me determine my goal... if you do a search for "Self magazine Happy Weight Calculator" you'll find my favorite one - it also provides a link for determining your frame size.

I have not been doing very well with my diet lately - I have been eating too much - so my goal this week is to not eat more than 1700 calories per day & not eat my exercise calories - I am hoping this will help me get back on track!