My admission i have a food obsession im addicted

Options
Seriously this post is an admission of truth that i have a serious obsession with food ,,,,,i have yo yo ,d for years but because of constantly dieting and failiure the pressure the failiure the stress ,,,the lack of self worth the loathing ,,,,the low self esteem ,,ill health ,,i turned to food as a comfort and got into a viscous cycle of self destruction ,,,i,d start of with good intentions slip feel awful the pressure of failiure ,and eat for comfort then feel worse ,,,,,,my husband left me fr my sister in law when i had just come out of hospital i was ill and at my lowest hed call me used up bagguage and a disgrace of a woman i felt disgusted with my self ,real self loathing at the time i was ill too so ate for comfort but when the pounds crept up id hate myself more i started analising food and became obsessed ,,,,,,,since starting mfp im accepting its going to be a long road there will be blips ,,i will fall of the wagon but its ok il just get back on it
THANKYOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT X

Replies

• maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    You can do this!
    Everyone slips, and every eats some food they shouldn't. The best thing to do is to start over with a clean slate and not beat yourself up about the slips. Then focus on positive behaviors. The more positive behaviors you create the easier this will get... even though this is a tough journey.
  • yellowfairy
    yellowfairy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    You can do this! Just take it ONE DAY at a time!! There will be times it will be hard, and days you will breeze through-just take it all in stride-and remember, it will happen!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    This can be done with committment. And you've lost the biggest weight in your life already - a husband who basically sounds unworthy of you. Its a hard journey but it seems like you are going into it with your eyes wide open and that is half the battle.

A food addiction is hard to beat, unlike drugs, alcohol, or cigarettes you just can't give up food and there's always something that seems to trigger a craving. I wish I could say that after 3 years of developing a healthy lifestyle the cravings and constant thoughts of food go away but for me they haven't. What has happened is they've become more manageable because I have developed stronger will power, better decision making when it comes to food choices, and expanded my range of foods that I like. Doesn't happen overnight, there will be ups and downs but if you really want to make a change, you just keep sticking with it.

Good luck!
  • iheartralphie
    iheartralphie Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Luan... you are certainly not alone, I am glad you are here, it sounds like you have been through a lot and need some positivity, encouragement and support. Please do not ever let anyone treat you like you are less than. I have dealt with that in my life as wel, and I understand how horrible it feels when it comes from someone you love. But no more!!! The fact that you are you, and you are a human being, that alone gives you the right to be treated with respect, and like you are worthwhile, because you are!! I hope you find the inner strength you need, and surround yourself with only supportive people from now on. If you want to ad me as a friend, I would love to be one of those supportive people :)
  • sjmartinez
    Options
    I too love to eat, fortunately for me not only does my metabolism work fairly well, but that I am so self conscious I slapped myself in the face to get a grip before it got too out of control.
    I gained 35 lbs after hs within a few short years. I know it doesn't sound like much but I'm really short and being as self-conscious as I am, there is no bathing suit in my closet.

It's been almost ten years since hs. but I have managed to keep off 15 of those pounds permanently but I yo-yo with the other 20 lbs. I know i will never be back at pre-hs weight but I'd like to get close.

I just recently started MFP, and it has really brought to light for me how many calories some of these little indulgences really contained! Now I ask myself every time when I see a cookie if not only is it worth it, but if I've done anything to earn it. And if not I don't eat it. That mentality doesn't always work, but it's saved me from eating many cookies.

All I can say is keep your chin up you aren't alone in your love of food.
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    First off, you have worth and you are beautifully and wonderfully made. God does not make junk!!! It sounds like you have already lost over 200 pounds when your ex walked away. You have your whole future ahead of you. You are in the right place. MFP will help you get to your goal weight. Start off with short walks, even if they are only 5 minutes. Then increase it to 6, then 7, then 8. Everyone has to start somewhere. Soon before you know it, you will be walking around your whole block. Just start moving and keep on moving. Start cutting back on white flour, sugar, and especially soda. I lost my first 12 pounds by just quitting soda. You can do this!!!
  • luanwarren37
    Options
    Thankyou ,,i really apreciate the support and advise thanks
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Food addiction is the worse of all. You don't have to smoke or drink booze or do drugs to live but you must eat in order to survive yet eating unhealthy will kill us.
    This is a great place to work on modifying our intake, planning meals and avoiding overeating. Do I want to put this on my diary? Do I want that food so much?
    Support from the MFP family can help with the emptional issues of eating through the support of others on this site. Hang in there!
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Listen, friend. We are here for you! You are extremely valuable, simply because you are you. You were made different from anyone else, and those differences are what make you so special. You are not alone.

I too, as many of us, was addicted to food. I was like a baby with a paci, I really thought I needed food to get through tough times... and I even used it to avoid "feeling".

The way I got over this addiction started with a belief in myself that I could do it. I heard that 90% of women fail at losing weight and only 80% of those who get there, well, they gain it back. Bummer, huh? So I spent the last year or so studying people who lost over a 100lbs and kept it off. I searched the internet for their stories. If they got to be over 100 pounds overweight, they were no different than me. If they can do it, so can we, my friend. We can! You can too! It's simple, but not easy. The only reason it isn't easy is because we stand in our own way! We are our worst enemy! We aren't truthful with ourselves.

First off, know that things are going to get better. You just have to take the first step. Do you believe that you can do it? If you do, then the next step is to trust this program. It works. Look at the rest of us losing weight. You came to the right place. Thirdly, you need to find things you are thankful for in your life. This may be hard in lieu of your recent circumstances, but it isn't impossible. One thing to be thankful for is that you found MFP! Another is that you are in a country where you have access to medical care and nutritious foods, etc... You make a list of as many things you are thankful for as you can think of. Keep it with you and add to it when you think of something new. I'm thankful for simple things, like being able to hear birds sing, and the smell of freshly washed laundry. You know... stretch if you have to.

Meditate on those things you are thankful for. If you can pull yourself out of focusing on what's happened to you, your body will be more receptive to losing weight. It s a stress thing. Can't remember the reasons behind it.

Next you have to forgive the people who hurt you, even though they don't deserve it. Let me tell you why. If you don't, you are carrying too much stress like baggage on you. If you carry that burden, you won't sleep well either, and you need restful sleep to heal and to lose weight. Forgive them, for your own self well-being. You don't have to ever "like" them, or even be on good terms with them... but don't hold onto it as if it will hurt them, just because your hurt and anger are justified. It's not good for you. You need to let go.

Start fresh. Take a deep breath. Know you aren't alone. Most of us who have needed to lose over a 100 pounds or so, lots of us on here, are all in the same boat. Terrible things have happened to many of us. REFOCUS and start thinking about what you want, who you want to be, what your purpose is, and what makes you happy. I'll bet you haven't thought of any of that in a long time. I hadn't. Now it's time.

Keep posting your fears, your frustrations, anything you can... so we can all help you. Also, read the success stories every day. Read others posts and research answers for them. You will feel good about helping and start feeling better about yourself. You deserve good things, and good things are in store for you.... if you just believe in yourself.
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Luann, honey, you are not alone! I struggle with food addiction and emotional eating too and all the self-hatred that goes with it. Don't listen to your ex - your life is only over when you actually die or when you give up on yourself. Clearly, you're choosing to live because you're on here and you're reaching out for help. You are not used up - his saying that just shows that he was a user when he should have be a supporter.

Are you getting professional help? It helped me a ton. Keep coming back and posting here too. You've got a whole community of people who know what it's like and who will love you, not judge you.

Have a beautiful day, dear and keep coming back.
  • luanwarren37
    Options
    Thankyou so much i really really appreciate that you have been an inspiration and im thankful of you ,,,i will re read your post and take your advise THANKYOU X