how do you do it? what really pushes you to lose weight ever

Options
i'm just struggling really badly and need to learn some discipline.

Replies

• cfer843625
    Options
    I wish I knew what to tell ya...Im feeling the same way lately...Good luck and just dont give up!!
  • Caite_S
    Caite_S Posts: 42
    Options
    Don't give up! Just take it day to day! One thing I did to motivate myself was hang a swim suit on my wall. That gives me the motivation to get out of the house and work out. :)
  • canaussie
    canaussie Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Take it one day at a time, and the days start to fly by... I am two months into logging my food and exercise and have lost about 28lbs...
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    My motivation is being able to wear my whole wardrobe again, not just the 4 pairs of pants that still fit.

You really just have to keep your end goal in mind whenever you feel the urge to give in to the siren call of whatever food is calling your name. Food doesn't control you, you control what goes into your body. Keep in mind that it might taste good for a moment or two, but it will sabotage your efforts to be healthy and weigh less.
  • jessieleah
    jessieleah Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any concrete advice, but the thing that really pushed me is getting broken up with. Kind of sad, but true!! He didn't break up with me because of my weight, but being back in the market makes me realize I want to look good--for myself and other people.

Whenever I'm feeling like I need more motivation, I'll go look at clothes I'll be able to wear when I'm thinner (helloooo bikinis!), or I come onto MFP and look at success stories. It's really a huge boost.

I've also started a "Biggest Loser" challenge between myself and a friend, and that's an added bonus of motivation because I wanna kick his butt. Lol! We're just doing a simple "who can lose the most in a month?" sort of thing.
  • alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    Options
    My motivation is the halloween costume I want to wear next year, it's all the beautiful dresses I see in store windows that I can't wear. But mostly my motivation is wanting to feel good everyday, to feel healthy, and have everyone tell me how great I look.
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Set yourself mini goals. and then reward yourself when you hit those mini goals. Like my mini goals are in 15lbs increments. When I lose my first 15 lbs my reward will be a body wrap (I've been dying for one for about a year now), when I reach 30lbs down I will buy a new swim suit...and on and on. When I reach my ultimate goal my reward will be laser hair removal. I've been wanting it for a loooooong time and when I lose the weight I will get it. :smile:

Just take it one day at a time and realize that you will go over on some days and that's OK. I was set at 1200 calories per day for a while but it was just too taxing on me to do that I was always crabby and tired and just not enjoying the journey so I upped my calories to 1500 and I've been doing much better on that and feeling a lot better. Listen to your body and have fun while you're doing it! Feel free to add me if you want! :flowerforyou:
  • rschmmidt
    rschmmidt Posts: 296
    Options
    i'm just struggling really badly and need to learn some discipline.

Just stick with it, a day at a time. It will get easier. And if you mess up, just get back on track. It didn't really click for me until I actually started to lose weight, and then I just felt so good. Nothing breeds success like success. When I saw that I could in fact do it, I wanted to do it even more!
  • femme62209
    femme62209 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I think something has to happen to make you get started. For me, it was not being able to walk up the two flights of stairs to my dorm without losing my breath. I would wait outside my door before I would go into my room, struggling to breathe and being too embarrassed to go inside and for my roommates to see how weak I was. That moment pushed me to begin this journey.

Having tried numerous times in the past to lose weight, but being really unsuccessful, I have a lot of new tools this time to keep me going. First of all, I told EVERYONE that I was starting a weight loss journey. This helps to keep you accountable. So now my sister, my parents, my roommates, my boyfriend, my best friend, my neighbors and my entire family know that I am doing this. They encourage me and love me through it all. Second of all, I joined MFP (great job, you already did that!) Calorie counting has truly changed the way I look at food and it has shown me exactly how little I cared about what I was putting into my mouth before. Also, I keep a journal on my computer that I type in about 4 times a week. I'm not much of a diary keeper so I usually only write about 4-5 sentences per entry. I'll write, "Today was really, really hard...I gave in and ate the girl scout cookies." or I'll write. "I felt so proud of myself today!! I was finally able to do 4 push-ups!" I love being able to look back to day 1 and see how far I've come (I'm on day 42 right now!) Finally, I take picture of myself every Monday. This is an amazing motivator. I can look at the pictures and see how big I am and how unhealthy I look and that pushes me to go workout. Also, I can't wait to be able to compare my week one pictures to those weeks from now!

Good luck on this journey, I hope I was able to help you some. You can do this!
  • milanks
    milanks Posts: 122
    Options
    It's a million little things that add up to keep me motivated.

A big one is that I constantly remind myself that the feeling I get when I see the number on the scale go down or try on some previously "No way will that fit me." size only to have it fit is about a million times more awesome than the feeling I get from eating a second bowl of pasta or whatever the tasty temptation before me is.

Another important thing for me is patience. At times, it seemed like it just took sooooo long to lose the weight and that my efforts were futile and I should just give up, but I stuck it out and the weight started coming off. I found that once it started coming off and the pants sizes started really dropping (I've been an 18 now I'm nearly into size 8), that in itself was the motivation. It feels amazing to stick with it and see all the effort pay off.
  • mtnbluezgirl
    mtnbluezgirl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Trying to find that "push" myself. Seems I have all the right tools and I have lost before...and gained...and lost. Really wanting to break the cycle. I like the idea of mini goals. I just love to eat!
    2933546.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Oh I love to eat too! The taste the chewing the feeling of the food everything! You'll figure out what works best for you to help avoid over eating. For example, I LOVE Chinese food and since starting my weight loss I haven't had any so when I get a crazy craving for it I will cut up a lot of veggies and steam them then dump them in a mixture of 1/2 Tbsp of Chili Sesame oil with fresh garlic and onions and do a quick stir fry of them. I steam the veggies first because they suck up the flavorings of the chili sesame oil and garlic quicker and don't require any more oil because I'm not frying them. It does have higher calories because of the Sesame Oil but it sure kicks my Chinese craving for A LOT less calories. I can eat it for like 200-300 calories versus the usual 1000 calories in my favorite dish of Lo Mein.