Please help...shin splints stretches and exercises

Options
Here recently I've been walking alot but I've noticed that my shins start to hurt really bad and I have to cut my walks short. I love to walk as its my me time and not only that but its exercise. But this shin splint thing hurts and I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to give up walking or jogging as I love doing it but it hurts. Is there any advice on stretches or exercises that I can do to get them to either not hurt or hurt less? Please help.

Replies

• aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Ow, shin spints suck. I find that stretching is not nearly as effective at preventing shin splits as just warming up. I do a bunch of jumping jacks before running to really get my muscles loose and my blood pumping. It helps a lot.
  • hezzie7
    hezzie7 Posts: 8
    Options
    Get new runners! Footwear is the most important part of any exercise routine. The other thing is the question of if you are getting enough calcium. Check out those two things and you should be good to go.
  • e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    shin splints can either be just sore, pulled muscles or tiny fractures in the actual shin bones...try sitting on your knees and leaning back to stretch the front of your shins before you walk/jog...do a google search for running stretches and make sure to do them before and after!
  • jreese5226
    jreese5226 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    While sitting, stretch out your leg, and write your abc's with your foot in the air. Be sure to really exagerate the letters. This has helped me strengthen that muscle and decrease the pain. Best of luck! Shin splints really stink!
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I just got over mine. I stretched for 15 minutes before AND after my workout. Focus on calf stretches a lot too. It will help to take ibuprofen before you work out as well. It won't make them go away, but you'll be able to work out without being in so much pain. Good luck!
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I also get shin splints, and it awful! I asked my trainer, and she said there really isn't anything specifically to "fix" them; it's mostly an overuse kind of thing. She suggested taking an anti-inflamitory before, and icing after. I love Icy Hot!
    Also, I have tried the "write the alphabet with your toes" trick, and it does seem to be helping.
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    While sitting, stretch out your leg, and write your abc's with your foot in the air. Be sure to really exagerate the letters. This has helped me strengthen that muscle and decrease the pain. Best of luck! Shin splints really stink!

Yep this works takes a day or two but fixes the pain I do it everytime after I run
  • amyrmca
    amyrmca Posts: 33
    Options
    Thank you all for the great ideas. I'm glad that there is some sort of a solution as I wasn't really wanting to give up on the walking. Thank you all again.
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options

Also, I have tried the "write the alphabet with your toes" trick, and it does seem to be helping.

as an old athletic trainer, writing the alphabet in the air with your toes is exceptional in assisting to repair the pain from shin splints.
  • HealthiHannah
    HealthiHannah Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!!! I have been asking the wrong question for the last couple days! And you worded exactly what I was looking for. I wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong or if I'm really supposed to hurt that much in my shins. I didn't think it was shin splints because the pain goes away when Im done walking/running/jogging.... but, I think I am. The pain starts in my ankles and moves up to my shins and I too have to cut my time short. Thanks for asking this... I hope you also get the answers you're looking for!
  • jennro7781
    jennro7781 Posts: 208
    Options
    I have shin splints too and consulted my podiatrist ( I happened to have an appointment) and she suggested to get fitted for a good stabilty sneaker and an orthodic insert. I went to the New Balance store and got fitted that day. It's helped a lot! She also said to really stretch and warm up the muscles before working out. Try putting your foot up against a wall then lean into the wall to stretch the shins. Good luck! I feel your pain!
  • irunwithscissors
    irunwithscissors Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Do the ABCs with your toes pointed... It really helps! It also helps for the pain or tense muscles in your calves. Stretch, stretch, stretch, and stretch some more. Drink a ton of water too.... :)
  • noltes2
    noltes2 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    OH MY GOSH THE TIMING OF YOUR POST IS PERFECT! I ran 4 miles last night of a very hilly course and for the first time got shin splints terribly. I could barely walk, even in my Ugg boots today! I went to Rite Aid and spoke to the Pharmacist there and she said ice for 20 minutes, heat for 20 minutes - but ICE is the most important thing you can do. I got these OTC pills that relieve leg cramps/aches/injury pain and just took one 10 minutes ago, so I'll let you know how that goes. Also, she recommended Icy Hot gel and you rub it right onto your shins and I have that on right now, and it is relieving the pain quite a bit. It's very soothing. A stretch I found online is the "toe dragging" stretch where you literally put one foot behind the other while standing and put your foot in a dragging motion and hold it. It feels so good on shin splints and provides alot of relief. I have a 3-4 mile run tomorrow so I need to do everything I can to get rid of these babies! Here is also what we should do to prevent, which I just learned:

Warm up gently for 5-15 minutes before intense exercise
    Stretch
    Complete walk/run
    Stretch again
    Eat or drink protein right away so muscles can rebuild quicker and easier.

Good luck and definitely try this stretch, icy hot, ice packs, and OTC anti inflammatory!
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I've only gotten shin splints once in my life. It was during 2 a day practices for football in high school. I'd go to practice for 2 hours of running and more running, then come home and fall asleep face down with 2 big bags of ice under my shins. Wake up a few hours later and go do it again. It lasted about a week until we had a break and my parents took me to get new shoes. The guy who sold em said that good arch support helps a lot with shin splints. A few days later and I didn't get them anymore, but man was that a sucky week :-p

The shoes were the only thing I changed too. I never did any different stretches, or warm ups before or after.
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    You might not want to hear this, but in addition to the stretching, you should probably take a short break from whatever exercise is causing the pain. I'm in the middle of doing C25K and I was having this same problem with unbearable shin pain until a little over a week ago. Everyone kept telling me to stop running for a bit and take a break, but I wouldn't listen because I didn't want to get behind schedule. I kept running through the pain, icing my shins and taking ibuprofen after every run/walk. Well, out of nowhere, I got the flu and had to stay in bed for 4 straight days. Couldn't run for a full week, but I did my stretches every day--circles and ABCs with my toes pointed, etc. Well, yesterday I went out an ran for 25 minutes, about 2 miles, with no pain at all. I don't know if it was the stretching or the rest or a combo, but I feel 100% better. Listen to your body, rest, stretch, and you'll be back to it in no time. Good luck!