Having trouble eating calories

sweetage123
sweetage123 Posts: 100 Member
edited September 26 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm currently at a goal of 1200 calories a day and it's going well so far. However, I'm currently a junior in college and sometimes with exams and work and classes I simply don't find the time in the day to eat the full 1200 calories. I'm essentially too busy and stressed to have an appetite. Last night I found myself forcing down spoonfuls of peanut butter just so my deficit wouldn't be so big.

On the other end of the spectrum, when I'm not crazy busy I tend to go out. With drinking and late night pizza runs, sometimes I go over by 200-400.

Are these random bursts of going over and under my calorie goal going to affect my weight loss? Or do they sort of even each other out in the end?

PS- I need friends :)

Replies

• I do the same thing! I haven't had any trouble with consistent weight loss I usually lose 1.5/2 lbs a week. Not sure if that's normal for everyone but..someday I am a over, some days I am under by a lot! If it's past midnight ..there's no way I feel like getting in my extra calories before I go to sleep so I cut my losses and move on to the next day
  • kaityray
    kaityray Posts: 15 Member
    You've gotta really commit to 3 main and 2 small meals a day, pack protein bars (low sugar/no carb) in your purse as well as sugar free instant oatmeal, all you have to do is ask for a cup of hot water @ Starbucks or run into a gas station and you have a 120 cal snack! Also, trying to lose weight and still consuming alcohol is pretty much a lost cause. So, all in all it just sounds like a little dash of dedication would do ya! Good luck :)
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    I'm not sure, but I know 1200 calories a day is the lowest u should go. Might I suggest eating nuts, such as almonds, for a snack, while in class? Just have a premeasured amount n a lil bag that u can carry around. 1/4cup is around 200calories. Its a healthy way of getting calories up.

Be careful with drinking, too much and I plateu for weeks. Also when u drink it processes food differently after just 1-2drinks..u don't burn it the same...therefore if u eat both pizza and drinks at same time, its bad. On days where u plan to go out, adjust ur diet so that everything b4 n the day is low cal food so ull have extra for fun..

Choose ur drinks around calories...straight shots r 70 to 80cal, light beers r 100cal for a 12oz serving (bout 135cal for a pint), there's mgd 64 and budweiser 55..mix drinks go for vodka cran/whiskey cran, don't use pop as a mixer (full of sugar and diet pop is really bad for u).

Pizza is really high in cal, its ok to have a slice but multiples can really get calories high; ur also needing to pay attention to fat content not just calories. I try to stay away from pizza, and if I can't I get a thin crust chicken garlic with mushrooms added.. sometimes with the other kinds ill not eat the crust on the end, or remove some of the cheese/pepperoni, but it gets harder to calorie count at that point

The best thing to do is eat a big meal b4 u go out, or order a salad instead of pizza...etc
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    You've gotta really commit to 3 main and 2 small meals a day, pack protein bars (low sugar/no carb) in your purse as well as sugar free instant oatmeal, all you have to do is ask for a cup of hot water @ Starbucks or run into a gas station and you have a 120 cal snack! Also, trying to lose weight and still consuming alcohol is pretty much a lost cause. So, all in all it just sounds like a little dash of dedication would do ya! Good luck :)

Have to agree with this. We all have days that don't go exactly as planned - I've been in college a lot and now I have a job(s) that is anything but "predictable" and does not have a schedule. :tongue: But starting with a plan is the first step. And when those "off" days (whether far under or over) are more often than the good ones, you'll see problems. They don't really "even out", because your body chemistry doesn't work that way. That's not to say you can never be under goal or have a piece of pizza and a beer - but the ratio of good to bad counts.

It all comes down to: we all have reasons and excuses for why we "can't" do what's healthy. And some days those are legitimate. But there's a point at which they're just excuses. What are your goals, and how important are they to you? Sometimes you just have to prioritize. But if you plan well, usually you CAN fit it all in. Find a way to plan your meals and snacks and be prepared for days when the plan doesn't pan out - carry some protein bars or fruit with you. Cook some meals ahead of time and put them in the freezer for a quick lunch or dinner when you're short on time. It can be done, if you work at it. :flowerforyou:
  • sheets03
    sheets03 Posts: 18
    try trail mix and nuts. 3tbsp typically has 150-190 calories. if you go below 1200calories, your body will go into starvation mode which is going to not help your weight loss goal.
  • sweetage123
    sweetage123 Posts: 100 Member
    Thanks everyone!
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    I'm starting to find the same issue. The healthier I heat, the harder it is to get in some of those additional calories, especially with exercising, too.

I work in an office, so I have a different schedule than you, but I make sure to snack throughout the day. I bring a peeled orange, cut up apple, laughing cow cheese, and nuts every day. I started drinking a glass of juice in the morning, and having a snack after dinner too.

It becomes habit after a while, and I know if I snack throughout the day, I am less likely to binge later on. When you know you will be eating out, remove some of those snacks throughout the day and you have extra calories for things like pizza.
This discussion has been closed.