Carb-Fat-Protein Ratio

Options
Low-carb
Low-fat
High-carb and high-protein

Does any of those actually matter for weight loss? Sure if you only eat fat, you'll gain some weight. But in general, if you ate moderate portions of all three and didn't follow a strict low-carb diet for example, will you still lose the same weight? I've read a few studies that compared low-carb and high-carb and they've shown similar long-term weight loss results. I'm curious to hear what you guys think. In the end, does it still come down to calorie in versus calorie out regardless of carb-fat-protein proportions?

Replies

• SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of this depends your own genetic makeup. Personally, I have diabetes in my family history - if I even look at a doughnut or a piece of pizza, I gain 5 lbs. :/ So, some people are more sensitive to carbs and do not tolerate them as well as "normal" people. Also - the bad carbs (refined flours and overprocessed foods) aren't really good for anyone. JMHO
  • sarahsedaii
    sarahsedaii Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I don't know for sure, but I know that I try to eat a lot of protein because it gives me the best amount of energy when I am working out. Carbs make me tired. So I guess that I try to stay away from carbs and sugars because the other food makes me feel much better.
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    Fat makes me thin and carbs make me fat. But different people have different needs. :)
  • timlover38
    timlover38 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The Macrobolic Nutrition 45/35/20 Lean Mass Equation derives its calories from powerful, nutrient-dense, efficient sources in a ratio of 45% carbohydrates, 35% proteins and 20% fats.