seriously! what is going on?

Options
i love how im gaining weight for no reason.
start the site, been on for a year, tried everything- lost 5 pds in a year. which sucks, but im used to not loosing any weight since i have less then 20 pds to go, it seems none of it will ever come off...

my problem is that im still watching what i eat, under my cal goal, drinking water, working out..and every few days..bam..few more ounces which has equaled a few more pds gained...

and its not " muscle weights more" because if that was the case, id at least loose in inches but theres no change there either. ive put on 3 pds in maybe 3 weeks..by trying hrader? really. REALLLLLLY!!!!

the only things i can POSSIBLY come up with is that ive been trying REALLy hard to drink more..i never drink alot and for a while i never even got close to 8 glasses a day so the past few days, ive really made en effort to drink 8 and i usualloy do, or come close..and i know your body holds onto the water until it gets used to the fact that im getting enough in everyday, but its not 100% that that is whats going on. but if so..how long does it take to drop the extra water weight since im doing the right thing and drinking more.

any of that stuff out there on the market about dropping some water weight work?

Replies

• bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I took a quick look at your diary. Are you eating your exercise cals back? If not you need to? I started to lose weight when I started to eat better, less processed foods, More vegs and fruits. I also helped me to eat fewer smaller meals....
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I've found a glass of wine to be the most effective means of getting rid of water weight...
  • denisec26
    denisec26 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    yep. i eat my exercise cals back.
  • sharonuk10
    sharonuk10 Posts: 277
    Options
    It could be that you are not eating enough. I know it sounds crazy but you got to eat to fuel your body. I looked at your diary and you either not totally completing it OR you had 280 cals one day only. Which is not enough. Try upping to 1500 a day with and without exercise. See what happens then. Though I am no expert at it.. I just know I don't lose unless I eat. And boy do I eat.
  • denisec26
    Options
    It could be that you are not eating enough. I know it sounds crazy but you got to eat to fuel your body. I looked at your diary and you either not totally completing it OR you had 280 cals one day only. Which is not enough. Try upping to 1500 a day with and without exercise. See what happens then. Though I am no expert at it.. I just know I don't lose unless I eat. And boy do I eat.

that 1 day with the 280, which i think was yesterday? i didnt complete ,i had about 13-1400 cals yesterday. I usually am a 1200 a day, but more cause i usually eat all my excercise cals back. and its not like im starving. 1200 seems to be enough for me.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    It looks like you aren't eating enough. Most of your days you are eating under the 1200 cal minimum and with only 14lbs to lose you should be eating more. I hava 8lbs to lose and just recently upped my calories as per some advice from other MFP users.

Not sure how tall you are but if you are already at a healthy BMI then it will just take time. You have to work hard and be patient....sucks but that is what I have found.
  • Natalie0506
    Natalie0506 Posts: 163
    Options
    You could just up your calories a little bit. Make your minimum 1500 or so. That way you're getting enough calories. Also, change up your workout routine. Make it more difficult so that you're working harder.
  • sam23030
    sam23030 Posts: 76
    Options
    I think the general rule has been to always eat your calorie allowance and not stay underneath. Also there is another post somewhere on here about zig-zaging your calories, the idea is to confuse the metabolism and have differing amounts of calories each day so for example you might have 1600 one day, 1300 the next then 1500. The poster claimed it helped them move off thier plateau, perhaps a bit of research into this method might help to get things moving?? Good luck!!
  • lisa_lotte
    lisa_lotte Posts: 216
    Options
    I've found a glass of wine to be the most effective means of getting rid of water weight...

I love this!!!
  • Natalie0506
    Natalie0506 Posts: 163
    Options
    I also wanted to add this: going back through your food diary, you are eating a LOT of sugar and sodium. That is what's making you retain water and gain weight. You really need to cut out the sugar, and cut WAY down on your sodium. And drink a lot more water. That way the water weight is gone. The sugar that you're eating will turn into fat. That's simply how it metabolizes. Stop eating regular sugar, cookies, all that kind of stuff. Then you'll start seeing the scale move.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I think big part of this is what you are eating, having had a look at your diary. You are living primarily on processed foods. Not only does this put you over your sodium on many days, it also means that you are getting hidden sugars and excesssive carbs while skimping on protein. And boy, do you love carbs!

Here's what I would suggest:

-Try to cut out at least half of the processed/frozen food and pancake mix.
    -Aim to get at least half your body weight (in pounds) in protein grams each day. For someone who is regularly exercising, that is the minimum amount of protein needed.
    -When you use the 'quick add' calories, jot down what those were in the "Food Notes" section of your log. On many days, these 'quick add' calories are 25% of your day, which means you aren't actually tracking a very significant part of your eating plan right now.
    -Watch that sodium (this becomes much easier when you eat fewer processsed foods) and make sure you get all your water in.
  • denisec26
    Options
    You could just up your calories a little bit. Make your minimum 1500 or so. That way you're getting enough calories. Also, change up your workout routine. Make it more difficult so that you're working harder.
    yah i have about 6 different dvds, im doing the 30 day shred now and zumba, i used to do another jillain micahels dvd but wasnt seeing results. but the stuff i do i sreally hard, i can barely make it through my workouts. :(
  • SwissMaedel
    Options
    Hmm...I bet you are super annoyed that everyone keeps saying you're not eating enough. I can't stand it when people say that, lol, because you're probably like me, where you eat a pretty healthy diet and eat whenever you're hungry but you never stuff yourself. Anyways, I googled this and maybe you've already found it, but sounds like a good article.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/5-surprising-reasons-you-are-gaining-weight

The birth-control pill has made lots of my friends gain weight. I use natural family planning (NFP) as taught by the Couple to Couple League http://ccli.org/ for spacing my babies. They teach the sypmto-thermal method and if you and your hubby do it, it's 99.9% effective and the best thing about it, it's completely natural. No annoying pills that mess up your hormones. Anyways, maybe you don't even take the pill which would be great, but I'm just throwing this out there for other readers, because I'm always surprised to hear that women have no idea about NFP, when it's pretty easy to use (and I hate science) and body-friendly.
  • denisec26
    Options
    I think the general rule has been to always eat your calorie allowance and not stay underneath. Also there is another post somewhere on here about zig-zaging your calories, the idea is to confuse the metabolism and have differing amounts of calories each day so for example you might have 1600 one day, 1300 the next then 1500. The poster claimed it helped them move off thier plateau, perhaps a bit of research into this method might help to get things moving?? Good luck!!

thanks for the advice by alas ive tried that as well, didnt work :(
  • denisec26
    Options
    I think big part of this is what you are eating, having had a look at your diary. You are living primarily on processed foods. Not only does this put you over your sodium on many days, it also means that you are getting hidden sugars and excesssive carbs while skimping on protein. And boy, do you love carbs!

-Aim to get at least half your body weight (in pounds) in protein grams each day. For someone who is regularly exercising, that is the minimum amount of protein needed.
    -When you use the 'quick add' calories, jot down what those were in the "Food Notes" section of your log. On many days, these 'quick add' calories are 25% of your day, which means you aren't actually tracking a very significant part of your eating plan right now.
    -Watch that sodium (this becomes much easier when you eat fewer processsed foods) and make sure you get all your water in.

i know everyones looking to help but u cant just go off like 2 days on my diary, the pancakes i had either sat or sun morning was the first time i made pancakes or ate pancakes in MONTHS. ive noticed i had too much sodium because i just added it to my diary a week ago to keep an eye on it. so i already cut out more prcosseced stuff and keep an eye on my sodium- the total is what MFp gave me. like i said, ive been making it a point to get 8 glasses a day which i have been, which is amazing for me. i dont drink..anything..ever..im good with like 2 glasses of liquid a day..so the fact that im forcing myself to get 8 is a small miracle.haha
  • denisec26
    Options
    Hmm...I bet you are super annoyed that everyone keeps saying you're not eating enough. I can't stand it when people say that, lol, because you're probably like me, where you eat a pretty healthy diet and eat whenever you're hungry but you never stuff yourself. Anyways, I googled this and maybe you've already found it, but sounds like a good article.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/5-surprising-reasons-you-are-gaining-weight

The birth-control pill has made lots of my friends gain weight. I use natural family planning (NFP) as taught by the Couple to Couple League http://ccli.org/ for spacing my babies. They teach the sypmto-thermal method and if you and your hubby do it, it's 99.9% effective and the best thing about it, it's completely natural. No annoying pills that mess up your hormones. Anyways, maybe you don't even take the pill which would be great, but I'm just throwing this out there for other readers, because I'm always surprised to hear that women have no idea about NFP, when it's pretty easy to use (and I hate science) and body-friendly.

i actually havent heard of that either, and i do take the pill- i take the low version though so its less hormones.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    If your diary is accurate even going back to March it is rare that you hit 1200 NET. If you are eating under your calories then that just isn't good. Your body needs more. Maybe just try upping your calories a wee bit and see if that helps or at least try and stay at or just over the 1200.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

i know everyones looking to help but u cant just go off like 2 days on my diary, the pancakes i had either sat or sun morning was the first time i made pancakes or ate pancakes in MONTHS. ive noticed i had too much sodium because i just added it to my diary a week ago to keep an eye on it. so i already cut out more prcosseced stuff and keep an eye on my sodium- the total is what MFp gave me. like i said, ive been making it a point to get 8 glasses a day which i have been, which is amazing for me. i dont drink..anything..ever..im good with like 2 glasses of liquid a day..so the fact that im forcing myself to get 8 is a small miracle.haha

I'm not 'going off 2 days in your diary'. I tried going back a month, but there was no logging until late March (interesting as you say you've been using MFP for a year). And I don't really see dramatic differences between the last week and late March. There's still a ton of sugar, carbs and processed food, although you do sometimes do better on protein.

You asked for suggestions. We offered some. Whether you choose to use them is completely up to you.
  • treekins
    treekins Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Ugh I know how you feel...but it's not just how much you're eating, it's WHAT you're eating. No judgement whatsoever (my diary shows my love for cakes and cookies - having a hard time with that!), but without being very consistent with healthy eating, you won't see results.

Where I can't stay away from cakes and cookies, I'd venture to say you LOVE pizza...lots of it in your diary. And cookies, too. If you want to lose, you've got to be strict. What are you doing for exercise?