Tall women 5'9 or taller

Options

Replies

• littlemissanguissette
    littlemissanguissette Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I have so many issues with finding pants long enough, Usually they're fine in the store then i get home and wash them and they turn into high waters. Rue 21 has nice jeans, cheap, and in Long. Love them! I'm all leg, and while it's nice...the clothing thing gets frustrating.

I also looked back at photos from high school when i was 140 and I CANNOT believe i thought I was a cow! I WISH I looked half that good now as I did then! LOL
  • hail87666
    hail87666 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I like high waisted jeans which always go out in spring. But a compromising mid rise would be nice. Even if I was back to my 'happy weight' I still wouldn't want to flash my underwear to everyone!
  • luceeleanor
    luceeleanor Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 ft 9.5 and weigh 229lbs... absolute nightmare seeing as I used to weigh 145lbs! I feel like because I'm taller, the fact that I'm big sticks out a lot more - anyone else feel like that?
    Feel free to add me, I'm new so need some encouragement!
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I like this thread - I think we tall gals have that thing in common where we "thought" we were cows even back in high school when we were thin. Its the height that made us feel overwhelmingly large. I wish I knew then what I know now - I'd go back to high school and hold my head high! I have felt "fat" since I reached 5'8" in 7th grade.

I also have a horrible time with clothes - jeans, shirts, all of it. Lets keep this thread rolling and help eachother!

I am 5'9" and currently 220 (started at 249). My goal weight is 165. (the high end of "normal" for my height)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and I used to weigh about 150.. Jan. i was at my heaviest of 180.. now I'm down to 165.

So far what I've done is cut out most of the junk(gotta have a treat every now and then), work out 4 to 5 times a week and I see a personal trainer twice a month. On the off weeks of seeing my trainer, I do Cardio about twice a week and strength training twice a week. So far its worked for me!

Feel free to add me if you want a new tall friend!
  • neyes67
    neyes67 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and currently weigh 219 (as of today:wink: ). My starting weight on MFP was 245 but my heaviest was 253 a few years ago. I also have a large bone structure. I have found watching my sodium and water intake has made a difference. I workout 6 days per week. I've been doing Jillian Michaels DVD's mixing between 30 Day Shred, Burn Fat Boost Metabolism, and 6 Week Six Pack along with 30 minutes of cardio 4-5 days per week. I've also recently incorporated circuit training at the gym at least 2 days. (Hoping to have a strength training workout created soon by a friend who is a certified PT). I try to eat 3 meals and 2-3 snacks everyday. With my recent plateau I have discovered I apparently wasn't eating enough (netting under 1000 cals) so I've decided to up my calories eating more of my exercise calories back and try to reduce and mix up my workouts just a little to see if it will help me break my plateau. (I'm going to put the Zig Zag method to the test for about 2 weeks to see if it helps.) I'm currently shooting for a daily calorie intake of 1400 -1900 with a net of 1200 minimum. I weighed somewhere around 155-160 in high school but felt healthy although I wasn't very comfortable with my height until I left for college:ohwell: . I gained the freshman 15 and weighed 175-185 up until my mid 20's and broke the 200 mark right before going into my 30's. I'm hoping to see Onederland this year for the first time in almost 15 years:happy: . I guess you can say I've gone from ''Statuesque'' to "Voluptuous" over the past 25 years :laugh: My goal weight is 190-195 as this is the weight I felt most confident and still had my curves. I felt like I looked too thin or sickly under 185. My upper and lower body are pretty proportionate but I do have issues with long sleeve blouses/tops which never changes regardless of how much I weigh. I've had to get pants altered several times just to give them a little more length but happily the different brands/clothing manufacturers are more on board with the reality of the needs for above average size/height women. I have worn a size 18 for a while and refuse to go into a size 20 which normally always becomes my wakeup call:noway: I recently got into a size 16 regular (16W is too big now:blushing: and 14W feels pretty good (at least for now:bigsmile: )) but would love to see my size 12s again. I'm kind of in between the regular sizes and the lower size in the women's department which is fun for the moment. Being tall has been a confidence booster for me as I got older and I love it:heart: ... not to mention the fact that I love wearing high heels in addition to being 5'10:love: I really like this post and hope to continue to support and friend all tall girls on MFP because as you all must agree TALL GIRLS ROCK!:flowerforyou:
  • Sierrasmommy
    Options
    Loving this thread... I am 6'1 and I unfortunately weigh about 302. I have lots of health complications that comboed with my lack of eating, have added to all this. I am trying to learn to eat right now, or at least eat lol. I am also long in the legs, which makes my weight distribution very proportionate... I ahte it when i feel fat and people say your not fat cuz your so tall!!!! OMG. Seriously, I cant stand that phrase, but hear it all the time. I dont even know what a healthy weight wuold be for me because of my height and bone structure, which is a large bone structure... Anyways, TALL GIRLS ARE AWESOME!!! just wanted to throw my 2 cents in, lol.
  • BrownSkinBeauty1990
    BrownSkinBeauty1990 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hey all my fellow tall ladies :wink:

First of all let me quickly say, that don't you just :heart: being tall?! We can put a few pounds on & it will look nothing compared to someone short... Anyway...

I'm about 5ft 9 to 5ft 10 inches. I weight 178 pounds after having a baby nearly 3 months ago. I want to get back to my healthy pre-pregnancy weight at 160lbs.

But I'm not so much focusing on weight now, I'm more looking at inches lost on my body & how my clothes fit. Looking forward to getting back in my UK size 10-12 jeans :happy:

I measured how many inches lost after 4 days of doing MFP and exercising and I had already lost inches all over my body. I was most happy with losing 1 and a half inches off my thighs!

Come on girls, we can do it! It's not going to be easy, but no pain no gain!
  • SolidGoaled
    Options
    Yes - tall girls can have more calories! That is a definite plus!
  • prov31ms
    prov31ms Posts: 62
    Options
    I think we tall gals have that thing in common where we "thought" we were cows even back in high school when we were thin. Its the height that made us feel overwhelmingly large. I wish I knew then what I know now - I'd go back to high school and hold my head high! I have felt "fat" since I reached 5'8" in 7th grade.

This is SO true! I have been 5'10" since 7th grade & I still have a hard time with feeling too tall and standing up straight!
  • MoLivesLuvsLifts
    MoLivesLuvsLifts Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and have gone from 292 on 1/1/11 to 273.5 as of today. The things that have helped me the most are:
    - daily caloric intake of 1,400 calories
    - exercising at least 5x week
    - checking into MFP

You can do it! i found that the most important things that I'm doing are eating less and using MFP. MFP has been very important for motivation and accountability. Please add me as a friend!

Being tall is definitely a plus! Thanks for adding this thread.
  • prov31ms
    prov31ms Posts: 62
    Options
    I dont even know what a healthy weight wuold be for me because of my height and bone structure, which is a large bone structure...

Find the "happy weight" calculator on the Self magazine site - it takes into account your bone structure, your age, and if you have had children or not - I highly recommend it! =0)
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I am so loving how this turned into OUR tall women's thread!! LOL!! And I've made 3 new friends!

I agree with the other poster being tall does have an advantage when it comes to weight.

I am so happy I recently made it back in my size 10s. They are a little snug but I am so glad I can get in them!! LOL!!!
  • SolidGoaled
    Options
    So girls - now that I've lost around 30 lbs, its time for new clothes for me. Where do you guys find shirts and pants? I have trouble with tee shirts - even the sleeves are too short! Any help on that? And it seems like back when I was a size 18 or 20 it was even WORSE because the clothes were made for SHORT fat women - not TALL fat women! UGH

Do you have any luck with any particular stores or online sources or even just brands that run nice and long?
  • dbanks80
    Options
    UltraMichChick -- Congratulations on your 30 lbs weight loss! That is awesome!!! I shop so many different places. I have a short torso so I can wear any kind of shirt. Pants is different. For jeans I like The Gap because they have nice variety in Size Long. Ann Taylor have great work dress pants in Long.
  • ReneguardJenn7
    Options
    I don't know if you have a Charlotte Russe store near you (I think you can shop online too) but they have some great long jeans for about $20! I used to just shop at the GAP for jeans but unless they were on sale they were pretty pricey.

Yay for tall girls! :]

Keep up the good work my fellow giants ;-)
  • dbanks80
    Options
    I don't know if you have a Charlotte Russe store near you (I think you can shop online too) but they have some great long jeans for about $20! I used to just shop at the GAP for jeans but unless they were on sale they were pretty pricey.

Yay for tall girls! :]

Keep up the good work my fellow giants ;-)

I'll have to keep Charlotte Russe in mind. Didn't know they had long.
  • rosybella9
    rosybella9 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If you aren't afraid of ordering online, Eddie Bauer online has fantastic clothes for tall women. I shop their clearance and have completely restocked my wardrobe with pants and shirts that are actually long enough! I can't say enough good things about them!

For what it's worth, I'm 6'0", all leg, weigh 180, and wear a size 14.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Any Tips Or Helpful comments ? 5'9 176 pounds trying to get down to 145 pounds at least by august.

Cardio and Strength Train. Remove most processed foods from your diet and fast food. No sodas (regular or diet). Eat lean meats such as chicken breast, lean beef and ground turkey. Fresh/Frozen Veggies and fruits. Eat 6 meals a day to keep yourself satisfied. Healthy eating can be very tasteful so learn how to use seasoning that aren't sodium based & herbs. Carbs can come from veggies and 100% whole wheat foods. Water is your friend. Get your minimum in daily. Keep your sodium below 1500 mg if you can.

I'm 5'11 and trying to get to 180. My highest was 324lbs and I'm currently at 209.4. This is what I've been doing since January and I've lossed 38lbs.

Good luck.
  • jencoz04
    jencoz04 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am 5'11". My high weight (3 years ago) was 279, I am currently 209. Most of the weight I lost last year when my family started a biggest loser competition (50pounds). I would like to get down to about 169-175. I try to avoid sugar & most wheat as they trigger headaches.