Early Risers!

Options
For those of you that work out in the early mornings...

What time do you go to bed?
What time do you wake up to exercise?

I'm trying to get a on 10:00pm bedtime schedule, and then wake up around 5:45am so I'm ready to go at 6 with my workout...but if I get to bed later, I find I really need those 8 hours of sleep and can definitely feel the difference if I try to drag myself out of bed and workout on only 6 hours of sleep. So tell me your schedule! Maybe I don't really need the 8 hours....

Replies

• soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    My alarm is set for 4:55 so I can be exercising by 5:10ish. I am usually in bed by 10 with the news on and out before 10:30.
  • bethany41h
    bethany41h Posts: 218
    Options
    Impressive! I wish I was early riser! I hate dragging myself to the gym after work but I think I hate dragging myself out of bed early more.
  • cthomps
    cthomps Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4am M-F and the weekends I am up by 6 or 7 - if I don't I just don't get the time for myself to get my workout in and I get interupted to much. Its not easy believe me and took some getting used to but it works for me. There are times I just can't get up but not very often because I know how hard it till be to try to get the time to workout in the evenings. I go to bed by 8:30 during the week with my kids and on the weekends I try to be there by 10 or 11 but you know how that goes on the weekends.
  • angel_eyes17
    angel_eyes17 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I TRY to be in bed by 10:00. (Hardly ever happens)
    The alarm rings at 5:00. I'm slow in the morning so I'm working out by 5:30.

I def need more sleep. When I sleep in on weekends and then workout, I burn way more calories.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I usually head to bed between 10 and 10:30, but spend some time (30 minutes or so) reading before I fall asleep. My alarm is set for 5:30, but I usually hit the snooze until 6:00. I'm up and off to work by 7:00, and then walk a mile once I arrive at my job. Our school is set up in pods, so I can walk around the center one. I also try to do a mile during my lunch "break" when I am on noon duty with the junior high kids. I then try to do at least 3 miles once I am home from work, either outside or on the treadmill, depending on the weather.

I know I could probably sleep more, but I'm awake most weekend mornings no later than 8-8:30. It's a matter of priorities. I've made walking one of my highest. It's how I lost the weight (60+ pounds in 2006-2007), and how I intend to keep it off. :wink:
    Kaye
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    To bed between 11:00 and 11:30 week nights up by 6:00 am when I can, weekends try to get to bed around 10:00 doesn't always happen and if I can stay in bed until 7:00 or 7:30 I am in heaven.
  • plc765
    plc765 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am up by 4:55 am also, exercising a few min after 5 for an hr, then shower at 6ish. I go to bed between 9:00-10 every night b/c I need my sleep! If I went to bed any later, chances are I wouldn't be getting out of bed at 4:55 am!
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I am not an early riser by choice. I have to get my teen daughters up for school around 5:30-6. I am not really awake at that time. I should go to bed sooner, but I like to spend time with my hubby in the evening. I need to start going to bed around 10 pm. I am usually up until 11 or so. And that is probably why I feel like I am dragging when I work out.

Yes, you need the sleep. It is possible you can get by on 7 hours, but anything less than that isn't healthy.
  • Chuckw40
    Chuckw40 Posts: 201
    Options
    I wake up at 5 and workout for 45 mins during the week. I am usually in bed by 10. On the weekends I sleep in till 8 or 9 and then workout. I only get up so early because I have a 2 hour commute to DC.
  • jeaniedev
    jeaniedev Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    :smile: My alarm goes off at 4:40 but lately I don;t even need it..I should BE in bed by 10 but what usually happens is I fall asleep on the couch at 9:30....crawl upt o bed around 11 and barely remember getting myself there.. I know I need more sleep..just so hard with kids...hubby dog..life in general.,,,I am trying to get in bed at 10:30 the more sleep the better it is for you and your body for recovery..
  • heathercgreen
    Options
    I go to bed at 8.30/9pm, not to go to sleep but the watch tv. By the time it gets to 10pm I feel like I've been in bed for ages so am ready for sleep! That way setting my alarm for 6am and throwing myself out of bed for a run before work doesn't feel quite so bad. I still have to force myself out, but once I'm up and dressed it's quite easy! Good luck! xx
  • butterfly0475
    butterfly0475 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Half of the battle is to get to bed to get your rest. Without proper rest, I didn't lose my weight a couple years back. Just started my morning routing again this morning. Went to bed late last night at 9:30 but up at 4am and feel good. Best of luck to you.
  • BeGreat25
    BeGreat25 Posts: 78
    Options
    If there's gonna be a goal in mind you will have to have a set schedule. I head to the bedroom around 9:00 and get my daughter and myself to lay down by 9:15. I rise at 5 to be out of bed & working out by 6. If you keep it up it'll be routine and no problem at all. You need 8 hrs of sleep but 7 is good enough.
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    My alarm goes off at 5AM and I'm downstairs and workingout by about 5:15AM. I am in bed between 9:30-10:30PM. Just depends on the evening.
  • ryzola
    ryzola Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Detrimental or not, I've always functioned fine on just 3 hours sleep. I don't get my head down until around 2am, and am up at 5am to hit the gym for 6am. I've done this for roughly 5 years, through bulking cycles, cutting cycles, work, the lot. Never had an issue. It'll hit me sooner or later, I'm sure.
  • biblebanger
    Options
    Alarm is set for 4:45, Workout starts around 5:15. The key is getting to bed early enough. I shoot for lights out by 10pm. I also suggest to start drinking your water right when you wake up. It's important to have your body hydrated for those workouts.

Morning workouts are the best! No distractions and nothing to to sideline your efforts. I have been working out in the early morning for almost 5 years. You can do it!!
  • Zuznana
    Zuznana Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I use to get up at 4 am and use to go to bed about 8pm. But now I postponed my runs in the morning I wake up between 5-5.45 am and go to bed before 9 pm, but sometimes I go later. But when I'm not in bed by 9 pm, I can't fall asleep for ages and am up till mid night and that is not good for me at all. I am very tired and need a nap mid day.
  • Stefani74
    Stefani74 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    In bed by 9pm...alarm goes off at 4am!
  • mkingraham
    mkingraham Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 5:30 but the alarm goes off at 5 and I hit snooze for 30 minutes. I also need 8 hrs of sleep so I get my butt to bed around 9. Its hard sometimes but it makes a world of difference getting the sleep your body needs.
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Up at % am in bed by 10, but occasionally have the TV on. (Some weeks I am on until midnight and so I just get very little sleep that week)