100 calorie snacks???

Options
I have been eating these 100 calorie snack packs including the fibre 1 bars and kellogs bars, but i think they are hurting my diet , or is it all in my head ??? what does everyone thing of these snacks ??? are they just a gimic?

Replies

• poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I would just be cautious of the sugar and carb content - those two items really seem to affect me.
  • jpeebs88
    jpeebs88 Posts: 81
    Options
    I find that the 100 calorie snack packs (except for the almonds and crasins) do nothing to help fill you up. It's actually kind of annoying, because they're so over priced!
  • bethany41h
    bethany41h Posts: 218
    Options
    I used to eat those snacks to but they can be loaded with sugar. I read a book that told me that I shouldn't eat anything with over 5grams of sugar per serving. I later realized just how hard that is to do!! But I ended up cutting out the 100 calorie packs because even though they are 100 calories that pack a sugary punch!
  • cookiejones
    cookiejones Posts: 104
    Options
    I think the key to being filled up, snack wise is a lot of water and a lot of fiber. Those snack things seem to have a great deal of sugar to make up for the low fat. A handful of almonds and a big glass of water usually does it for me, although it doesn't do a thing for sugar cravings :P
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    For me personally I find them empty calories. It's better (for me) to eat things like grapes, Strawberries, etc. Less calories and I can eat more of them :)
  • melissahann2010
    Options
    thank you :)
  • mitts1970
    mitts1970 Posts: 56
    Options
    My favorite snack lately is a Sargento Light string cheese! right around 100 cal and good for you.... the 100 calorie packs sometimes have too many carbs/sugar/fat to be diet friendly... Also - plain dry almonds are delish snack :)
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    The only "processed" 100 calorie snack that does a thing for me are VitaTops - I love them. Everything else just seems to be empty calories - and what's worse is I tend to eat 2-3 packs of them since I don't feel any relief from my hunger which, of course, totally defeats the purpose.

VitaTops really do fill me up. Or I just stick with fresh fruit and almonds.
  • LuRox
    LuRox Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Bananas are the ULTIMATE 100 calorie snack! Naturally delicious!

I agree with the others...you have to watch the sugar and artificial stuff in those. You may be hurting your losses! Good luck!
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I agree...I used to eat 2 of them or sometimes 3 and then I'd be all sad, like, for 300 calories, I could have had a Lean Cuisine or can of soup and actually felt full lol

One thing that is awesome is: light Starbucks bottled Mochas or Vanilla Latte. They are 100 calories, take awhile to drink and they do have some protein from the milk..plus, they give me a little caffeine to get going in the morning. They are a bit expensive $4.99 for 4 of them.
  • Rebjones612
    Rebjones612 Posts: 408
    Options
    I find that the 100 calorie snack packs (except for the almonds and crasins) do nothing to help fill you up. It's actually kind of annoying, because they're so over priced!
    So true......I don't really see them being healthy foods, just smaller portions.
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    I am trying to steer clear of those type of things as well. I was looking so much at the number for a while and trying to stay right at 100 cals for snacks, that I wasnt making really smart choices. And like everyone said, I ended up eating more of them. Now I try to look for the nutritional value along with the cals. Something that is between 100-200 cals is still fine if it is nutritious, filling, and satisfying.

Fruit, almonds, string cheese, crackers and hummus, veggies and hummus, peanut butter and crackers, yogurt, fruit and protein smoothie, or some protein bars all satisfy me more than those packs or bars and I tend to eat less of them. I still eat granola bars or special K bars at times, but I am steering away from them more and more.

They are deceiving and it is something that just seems like it should be a good choice. If I am really really wanting cookies or something like that, the 100 cal packs are better than just trusting myself to eat one serving out of a large box, but this still doesnt happen often.