i only want to loose 40 pounds in 3 months. is that too much

Options
hi.. im pretty discouraged here. I have 3 babies and i a about 40 over the weight i always thought i was overweight at! . Im feeling really bad and i want to have a good summer with my kids. I dont want to be grumpy at the beach and not want to take them anywhere because i feel insecure. So i need to loose about what.... more than 40. Im going to cut out sugar completly for a while, from today till my sons birthday in june. But what else can i do that is quick and healthy?

Replies

• fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Yes its too much and unlikely to happen.

1-2lbs a week is healthy.

If you want permanent weight loss then its a slow process. Most people who lose weight quickly put it all back on again. You need to look at the future as well as now.

Instead of cutting out sugar cut out processed foods. The more natural you go the better it will be for your health.
  • kpolnik
    kpolnik Posts: 4
    Options
    hey, I just saw your post, I do not have baby weight to lose, but I hear you. I want to look nice this summer at the beach, try walking if your kids go to school or if you can push the stroller, any form of exercise helps your body and gets you moving!

When it comes to food portion control is key, if you want some chips, look at the bag and if it says 12 or 14 count them out and put the bag away. That has been helping me. I like sweets and salty foods so I just do it in moderation.

Good luck
  • angel_eyes17
    angel_eyes17 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    When it comes to food portion control is key, if you want some chips, look at the bag and if it says 12 or 14 count them out and put the bag away. That has been helping me. I like sweets and salty foods so I just do it in moderation.

Good luck

Ha!!! I thought I was the only one that counted chips and then put them away immediately.
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    i lost 36 in 2.5 months. if i lose 4 more in the next 2 weeks, i'll be at 40 in 3 months. i don't have any kids or anything, and i don't know if that would make it a little harder for you, but if you really put your mind to it, eat enough calories, exercise, drink plenty of water, it can be done :) good luck!
  • flutterqueen04
    Options
    I am one pound away from 40. I started losing weight Jan. 1st cuz I got sick and dropped 5-10lbs off the bat from sickness alone...yet its about mid April and its taken me that long just to lose 30+ more pounds from that day. I average about a pound a week. I am sure it can be done but you'll probably end up putting it back on. Trust me slow and steady is the way to go. And even if you lose 20 before June you'll feel loads better, trust me :wink: !
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Chance are if you lose that much weight in that short amount of time it'll come right back on. And goin to the extreme of cutting out your sugars, carbs, or whatever else will more than likely cause you to fail and binge eat.
  • flutterqueen04
    Options

Good luck

Ha!!! I thought I was the only one that counted chips and then put them away immediately.

You both are not alone! I do too!! haha. I love Sun Chips too much to give them up. If I don't count and put away I just keep eating them and lose count. :laugh:
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    i lost 36 in 2.5 months. if i lose 4 more in the next 2 weeks, i'll be at 40 in 3 months. i don't have any kids or anything, and i don't know if that would make it a little harder for you, but if you really put your mind to it, eat enough calories, exercise, drink plenty of water, it can be done :) good luck!

It depends how overweight you are though (I am just assuming you have more to lose than the OP because your ticker says 130lbs to lose).

A person at 300lbs will lose 40lbs quicker than a person at 200lbs.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Unless you are morbidly obese - yes, 40 pounds in 3 months is way too much to shoot for and you'll end up disappointed. Goals are fantastic, if they are realistic. I'd go for 20 pounds in those 3 months.

You'll feel so much better about yourself adding exercise into your day. Shoot for 30 minutes a day and you'll be amazed how much better you feel - plus it's a sustainable amount. Once you feel good doing that, you can always add more - but don't burn yourself out of the gate.

I'd say the same for your diet - don't go drastically changing anything. Watch your portion size at first, and then if you want, you can start eliminating foods from your diet. Most "diets" fail because you try to do too much at once and get burned out and go right back to your old habits. Remember, slow and steady wins the race.
  • krisvtx8777
    krisvtx8777 Posts: 163
    Options
    It's taken me about a year to lose 40 pounds, but for me, I didn't want a strict diet. I still wanted to eat the foods I love, plus make and learn to like healthier foods too. I also started out walking about 4 times a week and over the past 4 months have started lots of new and different workouts that I had never attempted to do before.

I'm always amazed by those that can lose huge amounts of weight in small periods of time! I know it can be done...I think that maybe I just lose very slowly...and some weeks thats ok with me and some weeks it really kills me!!

Good Luck!
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I count chips and cookies. I use measuring cups when I eat instead of spoons and ladles.

Trust me, if you lose two pounds a week, in a month you will be happy with 8 pounds. You want it to be permanent. You got to celebrate the small goals instead of focusing on the long term.
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Pace yourself...to lose weight at a healthy rate (i.e. so you won't gain back quickly, or damage your body by not giving it what it needs) you should not lose more than 2 lbs. a week.

I've been on MFP, exercising regularly, and tracking calories for 3 months and have lost 22 lbs. Some weeks are super good- and some are just awful, time of month, etc. plays a huge role (for me) in losing weight.

So be understand of your body's limitations..and be understanding with yourself. Track your calories *do not go below 1200 net* and work in some exercise. You want to drink lots of water, too.

(Another reason to lose slowly is to avoid the potential of loose skin. If you drop weight too fast, your skin can't catch up....)

You're in the right place to meet your goals- stick to it! :)
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    It depends on your start weight - someone who has over 100 to lose could possibly lose that much in that period of time, but if 30 pounds is all you need to lose, then no, you shouldn't lose that quite that quickly. BUT, you can lose a good chunk of it in that time, and if you focus on healthy eating and exercise, you can tighten up as you go. :)
  • 2burn
    2burn Posts: 32
    Options
    I think that 40 lbs in 3 months is a bit much and you might really discourage yourself if you try to accomplish this and fail. The average loss is about 1-2 lbs a week. Take this journey one day and one week at a time. You will be surprised what losing 1-2 lbs can do for your self esteem. You'll start to feel really good about yourself and you'll feel stronger. Enjoy this summer with your kids no matter what!! Don't let your insecurities hold you back from enjoying life. Believe me, we are harder on ourselves, most ppl at the beach could care less that your there. Be confident and own your body!! If you're still uncomfortable coming summer, then wear a nice bathing suit (NO T-SHIRT) land's end has an awesome tummy control one and a wrap or shorts. Also, take a look around you, guaranteed u'll find someone bigger than you, still having a great time and feeling good. Good luck on your weight loss journey!! Btw, they really do grow very fast, my little one is 13 now and I miss those silly summer days :)
  • Gr8_body4life
    Options
    I didnt have 40 to lose but my goal is 25, and to be competely honest since i've started (some before this site) I have only lost 7 pounds, BUT I've lost some amazing inches! So that even though I havent dropped much weight, It looks like I have!! My "secret" which is just worked for me and found by trial and error (much error over the past couple years) is Strength training mixed with cardio. I have been doing Jillian Micheals 30 Day shred, (killer!) and a walking/jogging video in home (YES NO GYM!!!!). The biggest help was the toning that came from the 30 DS, Its a tough workout but boy does it tone your whole body!
    I coupled this with eating healthy and counting what went in, and letting MFP do the math! I found that I was eating way more then I thought I would be able to and still saying within my cal limits! If one day I was still hungry, I just popped in a short video and burned some more cals to eat whatever it was I wanted, NO GUILT!
    Oh by the way I have two kids, one 5 and one 14 months, so this is after two kids, doing it in my living room! YOU CAN DO IT! I havent reached my weight goal yet, but I still feel awesome! I daily tell myself that I've already lost the weight time just has to show it, and I keep plugging away at my healthy eating and exercise. I cheat sometimes, but I control the portions!
    Good Luck and know that even if you dont meet that 40 pound weight goal in the time you want, its still WORTH it to try!!!!! Your doing this for you health and your kids, what could be a better reason to try anyway!!
    YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!