INSANITY with no hrm

Options
Ok. to preface this, I know there's probably a thread about this but i couldn't find it.

I'm starting back on INSANITY, but I don't have a heart rate monitor. at this point, I can't really afford one either. I'm in between jobs (one starts in May) and also cash-flowing a wedding, so a spare 200 to get a good HRM and not a crappy one isn't in the cards right now.

How do I go about recording Insanity workouts?

Replies

• mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    From what I've seen on the boards, a lot of people log it as circuit training. Hope that helps!
  • biged335
    biged335 Posts: 734
    Options
    Understand the money part. But I bought a HRM from Walmart for 30 bucks. It seems to be working good. I've checked it against by manually checking my heart rate and it's right on.

As far as Calorie counting you can create your own exercise and give an educated guess at the calories burned.

There is also an Insanity Thread already on here and here is the link. Join us for the fun.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/213382-insanity-updates-progress-new-group
  • shagemeyer
    Options
    I got a great Sportline HRM at ****'s Sporting Goods for $80. It works with or without the chest strap. They have even cheaper models. I've had mine for many months and it's been flawless.
  • austinjwalker
    austinjwalker Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks mamareese! I may try and get an HRM, but not sure if i can just yet. Also not too sure how i'd just guess the calories and make my own exercise. I'm new to this and haven't figured all of that out just yet.
  • mamareese
    Options
    That part isn't too hard...of course, I have a terrible memory so I might be leaving out the part where I huffed at it a few times when I started out!! :wink:

If you go with MFPs 'circuit training' suggestions...then you just have to go under exercise, cardio, and add an exercise...once you type in Circuit it will come up a couple listings...what I've seen is people using the circuit general. It'll ask how long you worked out and then once you give it that...it will spit out some numbers. That's your best guess without an HRM.

As Ed pointed out above, we have a great group of people doing Insanity...I'm finishing up my last week of Month 1 and will be starting Recovery week but if you join us it might give you a place to gauge what MFP is suggesting vs. what those of us doing it find out with our HRM. It seems complicated but it'll all become just a bunch of numbers you punch in soon!! When I didn't have an HRM, I would 'underestimate' just a little from what MFP gave me just in case. Just my thoughts!! But feel free to join us at the link Ed offered, we are definitely an active group!!
  • mamareese
    Options
    Duh I forgot one thing...boy I'm talkative today!! :laugh: If you decide to go the route I go, where I log each exercise individuals that's just a matter of creating your own exercise. Once you type in, say 'Insanity Plyo Circuit' and it says there isn't anything in the database, you just click add new exercise and input your information time and calories burned. This method though..you'll need an HRM or atleast an educated guess on what calories you have burned because MFP will only make suggestions on exercises that are in their database, not the 'new' ones we create in our own profiles. Hope all this mumbo jumbo helps!! :happy:
  • aweigh2go
    aweigh2go Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    You can buy a Polar F4 HRM for about $80. It will tell you your heart rate and how many calories you burned based on that heart rate.
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I've been logging it as high impact cardio, but I'm hoping to get a HRM soon.

Does this help?

I think I started a thread like this a while ago but got little response. This has been informative though!
  • austinjwalker
    austinjwalker Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Sweet I joined mfp's insanity thread!

80 is way more than I can afford right now. I'm going to try one of those 20 ones on eBay.