DARN SALAD DRESSING!

Options

Replies

• dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I make my own so I know exactly what goes into it and how much fat/calories it is. Or, I just use plain balsamic vinegar (not viniagrette) and it's delish!
  • krisvtx8777
    krisvtx8777 Posts: 163
    Options
    If your a ranch eater-you can use Hidden Valley packets mixed with Fage greek yogurt and its very low cal. Sodium is high from the Ranch pkg though....

I personally like to mix salsa and Greek 0% yogurt and use that as dressing

My fav bottled dressing is Maple Grove Farms Balsamic Vinigarette its 15 cal per tbls
  • AngelaLVGJN
    AngelaLVGJN Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Walden Farms has some good dressings if you can find it at your grocery store. Very tasty and "Calorie free". I use the Walden Farms Honey Dijon Vinaigrette...it is yummy! Not sure what other varieties they have but I know there were quite a few at my grocery store. Good luck!
  • glamazonjenn
    glamazonjenn Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I like making my own dressings. Summer fav is lime juice and calantro. And you can make dressings with no where near the calories in store bought stuff. However, when you have to or just desire your other dressings I would definately use the dressing on the side dip your fork in the dressing way...you get the flavor you want and like half the calories....you will also find you will use less and less of the dressing this way! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I love Kraft Light salad dressings. I always have it on the side and use 1/2 serving. This also applies to other foods that have a "sauce" to it, like my fav Eggs Benedict!
  • lisaking869
    lisaking869 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    All great advice here! I love oil and viegar with salt and pepper- not too much oil. Experiment and make your own concoctions in a shaker. It takes some time- but you ll get to where you dont need much dressing!
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I like some salad with my dressing. lol If I'm in the mood for a salad, I try and cut a few calories during the day so I can kind of "treat" myself to some regular dressing on a salad for dinner. It's all a numbers game.
  • mayasmom
    mayasmom Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Try cutting back to 1 Tbsp to see if you really need all that dressing. I like to dress my salad and then cut through it a few times to help mix the dressing in...and also to get smaller bites. You may be surprised at how little dressing you actually need.
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Try Bolthouse Farms yogurt dressing. I got the chunky blue cheese and it tastes almost like Roquefort and it only has 4.5 grams of fat per 2tbsp

Bolthouse dressings have SAVED salad for me! Their ranch is DELISH, and only 70 cal/serving. The Blue Cheese is even lower-cal, and just as creamy.
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you have a Chick-Fil-A near you, but I LOVE their Light Italian Dressing. It is only 15 Cal per serving and my local store sells the packets to me for $0.15 each.
  • liz89118
    liz89118 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse has new line of dressing yogurt dressing ... 2 tablespoons for 70 calories I measure out two tablespoons in a small bowl and dip my fork...

they also have vingrettes for 35 cal for two tablespoons and Kraft has roasted red pepper that is really good too..

I use rice vinegar at times to thin out dressing I like the flavor..
  • teresa_h_780
    Options
    I usually use a tomato and add some shredded cheese. I find there is flabour without all the calories.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Kraft calorie wise italian only 5 calories for 1 tbsp..I cannot eat salad plain, I like it drenched!
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I find that tbsp. of dressing is usually enough for a salad 1-2 c. in size. I just put the salad in a big mixing bowl, top with dressing, and then stir with a spatula 'til it's all coated. You'd be surprised how coated the salad gets with only 1 tbsp. dressing.
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Try the having the dressing on the side and just dip your fork into the dressing.

I have been doing this for years. You get a taste with every bite and only eat a teaspoon or so.
  • grl_frm_tx
    Options
    Do you like ranch? One way to get the flavor of ranch and cut the calories a bit is to buy the powder ranch and mix it with 2% milk and light mayo... sour cream, ranch mix and a lil milk works too...just a suggestion :-)
  • marieirby
    Options
    I use Paul Newman's Light Honey Mustard..I think it is 3 or 4 grams of fat per serving..hope that helps! :smile:
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Put it on the side in a small container and only dip when you really want to! You'll be surprised at how little you use and before you know it you won 't be dipping at all!! Good luck
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I use Newmans Own Light Balsamic Vinagerette. Yummy and low fat/calories
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Another tip is if you have to eat the full fat mega dressings then dip your fork into the dressing first and then into your salad. you will eat very little dressing but get all the flavor since it is underneath the salad and the last thing that touches your toung