I no longer eat lunch

Options
2»

Replies

• TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I graze all day, I like to think of it as "keeping the fire burning" so that I don't gorge.

Usually I'm always eating, but around 12 noon and 7pm, I have a larger meal.

How many calories are you eating a day, Daisy May?
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I eat meals all day.

I don't think you have to have 3 a day as opposed to 2 and some snacks. Whatever works for you. I do better if I eat small meals all day during a cut. Other people just eat 3 meals.

All preference in my opinion.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I eat five to six times per day, mostly because I don't like feeling 'stuffed', large meals also make me tired.
  • Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I graze all day, I like to think of it as "keeping the fire burning" so that I don't gorge.

Usually I'm always eating, but around 12 noon and 7pm, I have a larger meal.

How many calories are you eating a day, Daisy May?

It depends, usually around 1230 but recently I've really uped my exercise and if I'm hungry I'll eat some or all of my exercise calories(but only if I find I'm hungry)
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    Options
    Most recommend to do it that way - small snacks throughout the day. I've heard that will keep your blood sugar and metabolism more constant, letting you feel better and burn more throughout the day. You never end up feeling hungry and getting tempted that way as well!
  • hgellings
    hgellings Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I eat 5-6 meals a day. When I say "meals" I mean a 240 calorie meal. I try to never go over that. I feel full then, but not like I need to go lay down and take a nap!! I try to hit 24g protein and 24g carbs and 5g healthy fats in each meal. I would try to meal each meal balanced out the same, its amazing how full you will feel all day long and you won't really feel deprived that much ( except on the weekends if your like me, thats when I always feel like I should eat bad!! stupid weekends haha )

I think I'm going to try this... What kind of things do you eat in each meal if you don't mind sharing. Thanks :D
  • RDH0513
    RDH0513 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I eat 5-6 meals a day. When I say "meals" I mean a 240 calorie meal. I try to never go over that. I feel full then, but not like I need to go lay down and take a nap!! I try to hit 24g protein and 24g carbs and 5g healthy fats in each meal. I would try to meal each meal balanced out the same, its amazing how full you will feel all day long and you won't really feel deprived that much ( except on the weekends if your like me, thats when I always feel like I should eat bad!! stupid weekends haha )

I think I'm going to try this... What kind of things do you eat in each meal if you don't mind sharing. Thanks :D

No problem!! Feel free to go and check out my food diary, I keep it open! it is usually chicken, tilapia,eggs, egg whites, green beans, asparaus, etc.. I like to make my most dense meal in the morning, Thats when I feel like I really need it the most!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I don't eat lunch either. I do eat breakfast and dinner, but I like to eat snacks throughout the day whenever I'm feeling hungry, rather than having one big meal in the middle of the day. I do have a rule about this, though: I do not keep snacks at the office. I take only what I need for each day. That way, I'm not tempted to eat more than I should just because it's there.

But there is no hard or fast rule about whether it's better to eat several small meals or three larger ones. There is not enough evidence to suggest that there is any metabolic benefit with one way or the other. I think it is pretty obvious that eating several times throughout the day will help ward off hunger between meals, but it can also give you a false sense of security and cause you to eat more than you should overall. Likewise, eating fewer meals a day can lead to eating more at each meal than you should. You just have to figure out what works for you. We're all different.

As for dealing with worries of other people, it's always difficult when it's someone you love because you know they're just concerned about you. The idea of eating several small meals as opposed to three regular meals is still a foreign concept to a lot of people, and they immediately think if you're not eating a typical breakfast, lunch, and dinner, you must have an eating disorder. All you can do is track your calories and make sure you're eating at least your minimum requirements. After a while, people will see that you're not actually starving, and they'll back off.
  • andyxbear
    andyxbear Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • Dandan26
    Dandan26 Posts: 7
    Options
    It depends on what you're eating. Some studies have found that people who "graze" all day actually end up eating more calories. But if you're keeping track and you know you don't go over, good job :)
  • clw_888
    clw_888 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Uhm, that's not been proven actually. It depends on preference. There appears to be no metabolic advantage from eating 6 small meals as opposed to 3 larger ones.

really?? wow... didn't know that! Can you tell me where you read that??

I am unsure about metabolic effect, but the effects on blood sugar are well-known. If you eat the mini-meals your blood sugar will stay more stable throughout the day, resulting in less cravings and less opportunity for that 'I'm starving - let's hit the vending machine' moments.
  • ubabe1
    ubabe1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I think if you feel good, don't have any headaches or nausea, not losing weight drastically and have an exercise plan...continue doing what you are doing. Everybody is different and their metabolism is different. What works for you may not work for someone else.
  • Pande
    Pande Posts: 33
    Options
    I tend to eat a salad for lunch. I usually get Panera Bread Classic Salad. Which is right around 160 calories, depending on how much dressing you put in. The salad is a very decent size. One serving of dressing is 130, if the Salad is 160, pretty much ALL the calories are from the dressing. Sadly I cannot fight how yummy that reduced-fat Balsamic Vinaigrette is.

I get apples with my salad which is about 80 calories, I usually save it for later as a snack or something.

Sometimes I get a cup of Black Bean soup which is only 110 calories, or a cup of Garden Vegetable without the pesto which is 90 calories!
    So you can pretty much have a whole Salad and 2 small soups and it will still be under 400 calories, though you will end up being stuffed to the brim. [this is all not including the side choices of bread, chips or apple]
    Soups and salads can be satisfying snacks right?