Hello - can someone please answer a question?

Options
Hi, I'm Dena and I just joined this site. I put in that I wanted to lose 2 lbs a week, but it's telling me that with the calories it suggested (1200) and daily exercise, I will only lose 0.7 lbs a week. Does anyone know why? What would I need to change (diet or exercise) in order for it to tell me exactly how to lose 2 lbs a week (or close to that)? Thank you!

Dena

Replies

• missywann
    missywann Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Each pound is 3500 calories, keep that in mind. I want to lose 2 pounds a week, but no matter how much I change the settings, it is stuck on 1.6. Maybe you could try to figure out how to use up 7000 a week to lose the weight. Also, after you complete a day, it tells you if you eat like that, how much you'll way in 5 weeks.
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    How much exercise have you put in?
    I think it recommends only a pound a week.
    It would mean you using 7000 a week more than you eat which isn't easy!
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    They do not want you to drop below 1200 cals a day because that is counterproductive, you can get better results eating 1200/day and a more effective diet for true fat loss than eating less than 1200 as the body will slow down your metabolic rate below that level, as an added fyi if you are under 30 pounds to shed 2 pounds/week is to high a goal unless you are super strict on what you eat and have a proper fat loss plan ahead, my blog (linked in my signature) has many posts about the healthy way to shed fat and make it a permanent thing.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    its because you only have 17 pounds to lose. It won't ever let you go below 1,200 calories a day, so .7 is the best you can do under their calculations.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    MFP will not let you go below 1200 cals as it is difficult to get the required nutrition Macro (protein, fat, carbs, fiber) micro (vitamins and minerals). It is easy to be malnourished if you don't eat near the 1200 cal mark.
  • SimplyDeLish
    Options
    MFP calculates on the generally accepted notion that a diet under 1200 calories is not healthy. That's why your calorie deficit only allows the .7 lbs. per week.
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    MFP has a minimum calorie goal of 1200/day. You should not eat less than that or you risk doing more harm than good. Obviously you are already a small person trying to lose a few more pounds and the healthies way to do this is slowly. Not what you wat to hear I am sure but that is how it should be. If you were severly over weight, losing 2 pounds per week would be a breeze but the smaller you are the harder and longer it takes to lose.

Don't starve yourself for a few measly pounds. Just take a little more time to get therePersonally I don't see how or why anyone would WANT to eat less than 1200 calories per day as it is.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Dena and I just joined this site. I put in that I wanted to lose 2 lbs a week, but it's telling me that with the calories it suggested (1200) and daily exercise, I will only lose 0.7 lbs a week. Does anyone know why? What would I need to change (diet or exercise) in order for it to tell me exactly how to lose 2 lbs a week (or close to that)? Thank you!

Dena

With only 17 lbs to lose your goal should be 0.5lbs./week (1lb at most but not recommended). Having too large of a caloric deficit when you don't have much to lose can cause your body to burn muscle, instead of fat, for fuel.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Because it's really hard to get all of your nutrition in if you are eating less than 1200 calories a day.

So they've set that as a universal minimum.

Relax, studies show that the slower you lose the more likely you are to keep it off.

Little changes add up over a long period of time, you'll get there.
    and if you don't drive yourself crazy dieting it's easier to stick with it longer.
  • slapshotgolf
    slapshotgolf Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Previous posters are correct here - system calculates your weekly loss provided you do not slip below the 1200 calorie minimum. You should stick to that minimum in order to lose weight in a healthy manner. Better to lose it the right way in 24 weeks, rather than the wrong way in 9 weeks if you want to keep it off. Take the extra time to become used to the healthy eating changes. Welcome and good luck - this is a great site!
  • DenaFaye
    DenaFaye Posts: 2
    Options
    Wow, you have all been so helpful! I get it now. So, somehow a couple of you figured out how much I want to lose and I'm not sure if it's on my profile or if you're just a genius :) It's true, I don't have far to go, but my BMI is listed as overweight and believe it or not, close to obese. Whatever! I'm 5'2" and weigh 142. I want to get to 125, which is where I was most of my adult life, before having children at 39 and 43. So, I've got the "had babies late in life" along with the "pre-menopause" thing going on. The problem I have is that if I don't see any movement in the right direction, I get discouraged and just want to sit on the couch with a glass (or 2) of wine. So, here I am. I hope I can stay motivated this time. My 30 year class reunion is in October and I want to look great!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Yah - I viewed your profile and your ticker said your goal was to lose 17 pounds. Good luck! ;)
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

Dena

With only 17 lbs to lose your goal should be 0.5lbs./week (1lb at most but not recommended). Having too large of a caloric deficit when you don't have much to lose can cause your body to burn muscle, instead of fat, for fuel.

This, 100%.

Why would you go for 2 lbs per week with so little to lose? The quick fix is not the answer. The only way to lose those safely and healthily is to coax them off slowly, eat JUST under maintenance level and do strength training to protect your muscles and you will see BETTER results than just eating way less than usual...
  • tmp4851
    tmp4851 Posts: 4
    Options
    Remember it is easier to take calories out of your life through food than it is to burn them off through exercise. You can easily cut out 500 calories, but it would take you walking about 5 miles to do the same thing. On average walking 1 mile burns 100 calories....on a flat surface or course.... and if 1 pound of fat = 3500 calories you would have to walk 35 miles! My suggestion is to keep a larger caloric deficit by taking out calories and doing regular exercise. Now I see your caloric intake is only 1200 calories so if you stick to that and do 30 minutes of cardio per day most days a week minimum.