Jogging-Unhealthy?

Options

Replies

• bethikabob
    bethikabob Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Striking with the front of your foot basically gives you a natural shock absorber (your knee and hip are bent, so they act like a spring), and it lets you keep your center of gravity in front of the impact point, so there is no lost momentum.

Here's a video that explains it better than i can in text:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/njsportsmed#p/a/u/2/9itkEkcQ8WM

And here's an article from Harvard athletic studies:
    http://www.barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/4BiomechanicsofFootStrike.html
    Thank you! I've been trying to find a video that shows correct form and this is perfect...there's a few people I need to show this to lol :)
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    jogging for no reason for long periods is not recommended

if your gonna run you need to do it with intensity to work muscles for about 20min

problem is heart problems in the future....

jogging/running at a steady pace is not exercise.....

to live a long healthy life resistance training is the only way....

theres a lot of science and studys behind this and I believe it more than a beachbody infomercial:laugh:

um ya those guys and girls that do ironman triathlon are some seriously unhealthy people. same with those ultra marathoners
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    How do you strike with the ball of your foot???? I land on my heal regardless of whether or not Im wearing shoes?

Lean forward slightly... your body should be in a forward posture while running.

Yup! Plus it has the added benefit of making running slightly easier. By leaning your body forward it naturally makes your leg move forward to "catch yourself."
  • rklein88
    rklein88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Unless it's causing pain in your joints that lasts a few days (even if you dont run those few days), jogging is not hurting you. Your body will tell you (with pain, stiffness, swelling) if you are hurting your joints. I have problems occasionally, so I know my joints were not built for jogging. I just take a week of and do other activities, then work back into jogging short distances a few days a week, and I never jog if anything is sore or inflammed.

Your body knows itself better than these "people" do!! Let it guide you and if you enjoy it, keep it up :)
  • peytjalmom
    Options

if your gonna run you need to do it with intensity to work muscles for about 20min

um ya those guys and girls that do ironman triathlon are some seriously unhealthy people. same with those ultra marathoners

Yeah and all that liquid streaming down runners face is not sweat...
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I trail run, which is easier on the joints. But one reason I run/jog is because it IS high impact. Bone density! I love to cycle but that does nothing for bone density. At 58 I'm starting to look ahead and I want to be healthy and fit. Nothing helps bone density like good ol' high impact exercise, especially running. Like I said, I trail run to minimize the adverse effects, but you gotta love running if you want strong bones.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    This is a very interesting thread. I had no idea there was even a debate on the benefit of jogging.

I am curious as to what some define as walking/jogging/running, and what physiological concerns are associated with each.

On another note, I find jogging very difficult. I know I have poor form, because jogging jars my upper body. But; my walking speed is near that of many joggers, usually between 12 and 13 minutes per mile. I haven't timed my run recently, I may do that tonight.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

theres a lot of science and studys behind this and I believe it more than a beachbody infomercial:laugh:

I can't lift as heavy when I run longer/harder, and I can't run as long/far when I'm lifting heavy...but that's why I spend a few months focusing on one, and then switch it up.

I like to lift, and I like to run. I don't know why there has to be a "debate" between the two.

...and like everyone else said: My knees and joints feel better now than when I was heavier.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

Are you saying that you do believe all those things you listed, or that you don't? Because not one of them is true.
  • cbpirie
    cbpirie Posts: 15
    Options
    I wish I could run!! I am 53 and have a horrible knee( surgery 4X) and I have to walk. I am a PE teacher and technically it is the same for the work you do. Work = ForceX Distance so if a 150 lb person walks 1 mile or runs one mile they have done the same amount of work . Calorically it takkes you longer to walk so you are keeping your heart rate up longer. . Weight loss has to do with raising your heart rate. I have been wearing a HRM to walk and I have to walk very fast to keep my heart rate at 70% of max HR. With jogging I find it much easier to keep the heart rate up at the right level. Most peope don't walk fast enough to keep the HR up.

I always tell my students, There is an activity for everyone. If you are wearing proper footwear, and love to jog DO IT! You may have to give it up at some point so jog all you can as long as you can. I would however do some cross training. I run in the water at least one day a week and do the elliptical . Good Luck!!
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I always told myself I "couldn't" run because I had bad knees.

Now that I do run, my knees never felt better! Actually... everything feels better. :smile:
    [/quote

Ditto! Me too!
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    This thread is pefect timing for me - I ran 3 miles yesterday for the first time in many many years, and this morning I am HURTING. I definitely heel strike - after reading this thread, I now know what I need to work on to make that better.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Why is it that when I tell people I'm jogging for exercise, they comment "Jogging is not good for you. Just walk at a fast pace?" Now I don't believe these people have actually jogged for exercise, so how can they have an opinion? For me, there is nothing like the endorphin "high" I get after a jog. After that first half mile, I'm amazed how my body can kick it into gear and buckle down. I don't overdue it. I just jog on average 30 minutes a day with one or two days off a week. I LOVE JOGGING! Why are people so negative?

I know people are probably worried about my knees or other joints, but can jogging cause as much damage to my body as laying around on the couch or in bed like I used to do?

How do they know what is good for you? Jogging is not good for me (back surgery) but it might be fine for you! Plus, high impact exercise helps build bone density - so it might very well be good for you! It all depends on how you do it, your shoes, your body build, etc. If it's not hurting you and you enjoy it - who cares. And when people say "it's not good for you" say "I think you mean it's not good for YOU - it's just fine for me!"
  • peytjalmom
    Options

On another note, I find jogging very difficult. I know I have poor form, because jogging jars my upper body. But; my walking speed is near that of many joggers, usually between 12 and 13 minutes per mile. I haven't timed my run recently, I may do that tonight.

I just want to clarify, I m not anti-fastpacedwalking. Fast walking works totally different muscles, it's the main exercise I started off with, and frankly, I should be still using. But I LOVE JOGGING! (Dont feel right saying I run cuz i'm slow.) I'm all for the fast walkers and the resistance users and the weight lifters and the bicyclers and the ellipticallers and the p90xers and the swimmers and the circuit trainers and the rowers and the aerobicizers and whatever you do to exercise. I sprinkle in a little bit of all of this in my exercise routine.

I just started off this discussion because I found an exercise I love and am suprised when people have something negative to say about it. I understand people's concern about joint health. But I promise to be balanced, listen to my body and learn proper form. That's what we all need to do with any exercise we undertake.

Thank you everyone who gave me support and also things to think about. You ll be on my mind when I go on my evening run tonight, watching the sun go down.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

Striking with the front of your foot basically gives you a natural shock absorber (your knee and hip are bent, so they act like a spring), and it lets you keep your center of gravity in front of the impact point, so there is no lost momentum.

Here's a video that explains it better than i can in text:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/njsportsmed#p/a/u/2/9itkEkcQ8WM

My body forced me to do this naturally. I had to figure out how NOT to "jiggle" too much. Sorry. TMI. I know.

No worries, running ain't glamorous. It's messy, bouncy, gooey, and sometimes smelly :)

You can look into barefoot running / shoes as well. If I were able to run (my back Dr HIGHLY discouraged it for me, so I decided on swimming instead)... anyway.... in the past I had serious back problems and FAR less pain when I ran barefoot than in shoes because it eliminated heel striking and the jar on my back. I haven't tried any running since surgery, but if I ever pick it up it will be barefoot shoes only.
  • peytjalmom
    Options

How do they know what is good for you? Jogging is not good for me (back surgery) but it might be fine for you! Plus, high impact exercise helps build bone density - so it might very well be good for you! It all depends on how you do it, your shoes, your body build, etc. If it's not hurting you and you enjoy it - who cares. And when people say "it's not good for you" say "I think you mean it's not good for YOU - it's just fine for me!"

This really sums it all up! That IS what I'm gonna tell people!!!
  • Qpeace
    Qpeace Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This is a really interesting thread for me. A friend challenged me to run a marathon with her next year because she knows that I've been trying to lose weight and become more fit.

I really appreciate the links and comments about form because I really want to protect my shins and joints.

I've been trying the Walk to Run training that Nike has on their site. I find it difficult to run very long but do hope to increase the time gradually.

Thanks for all the encouragement and suggestions that I've read here.
  • traceyann1214
    traceyann1214 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    How do you strike with the ball of your foot???? I land on my heal regardless of whether or not Im wearing shoes?

Lean forward slightly... your body should be in a forward posture while running.

I focused on this during my run today. I had to think about it the entire time because it was awkward never having done it before, but I felt SO much better! I was able to run faster with longer strides and my whole body was more comfortable while running.
  • traceyann1214
    traceyann1214 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The human body is designed to run. People only get hurt when they do it wrong.

I see you have vibrams! I have them too and have been loving them! I assume you are as well? I feel a lot less pain in my heal.
    I ran a marathon a couple of years ago in Nike Frees and now do all running in the Vibrams. Nearly all of my pains cleared up after getting out of over-engineered shoes.

The only bad thing about the Vibrams is stepping on rocks in the dark. But that is only a short lived pain. :)

I've had the same experience. MUCH less pain for me!
  • peytjalmom
    Options

I focused on this during my run today. I had to think about it the entire time because it was awkward never having done it before, but I felt SO much better! I was able to run faster with longer strides and my whole body was more comfortable while running.

I focused on my run and have realized I don't heel strike. Maybe thats why I was hooked on running from the start!!