Question about running and calories

bellarox13
bellarox13 Posts: 95 Member
edited September 26 in Fitness and Exercise
Ok after I do 30 day shred, I jump on the treadmill. The first night I could only run 2 minutes at 7km an hour. HRM says I burnt 71 calories doing two minutes. Four days later, I am up to 7 minutes at 7km and hrm says I burnt 138 calories.

So my question is, as you run further, is the heart rate easing into a rhythm and calories burnt stop burning rapidly? Would I burn more if I did two miutes, 30 second walk, another two minutes etc?

Replies

• Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    I don't think it's possible to burn 71 calories in 2 minutes. Is it?
  • I don't think the 71 calories for 2 mins was correct. I burn about 12-13 calories a minute when running at 10kms / hr. It depends on your weight of course but 35 calories a minute seems really high.
  • leahdilorenzo
    leahdilorenzo Posts: 2 Member
    I'm not an expert but I know enough to tell you that when you do intervals such as 2 minutes hard run, 2 minutes walking, repeating...your heart has to work harder and therefore you definitely burn more calories. I used to run marathons and used to gain weight while training and when running the same pace for long periods. It is much more effective mixing it up on the treadmill.
    I stopped running last fall and immediately dropped 8 pounds just from not running and doing other types of cardio.
  • leahdilorenzo
    leahdilorenzo Posts: 2 Member
    So funny, just realized that you were from Toronto...that's where I am from but moved to Atlanta 5 years ago. I love that city!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    I don't think the 71 calories for 2 mins was correct. I burn about 12-13 calories a minute when running at 10kms / hr. It depends on your weight of course but 35 calories a minute seems really high.

agreed - I seem to burn ~ 130 per mile
  • SavBrookeS
    SavBrookeS Posts: 44 Member
    agreed - I seem to burn ~ 130 per mile
    [/quote]

That's about what I burn too
  • ocdad68
    ocdad68 Posts: 12 Member
    An approximate rule-of-thumb is that you burn about 100cal for every mile. If you walk a mile, that's 100cal. If you run a mile, you burn 100 cal but in less time. This number changes some, depending on how fit you are. Heart rate monitor watches, (eg. Garmin, and Polar) will account for your heart rate over that period of time, and also your age and sex, which you enter when you setup your watch. So, this might be more or less than 100cal. I burn MORE than 100cal per mile, due to my weight, male, and heart rate. My wife on the other hand, is a marathon runner, and she burns 60-70 cal per mile. Think of it like cars.. she's just a more efficient car than I am.
This discussion has been closed.