What do you recommend?

Options
Back in august I sprained my ankle at the worst level possible, and was told it'll take 4-5 months to properly heal. So I layed off of going to the gym for the most part back then.

I go to the gym now, but my ankle still swells up pretty bad and my ankle bone still hurts, so I saw a doctor today and got it xrayed, thank god no broken bone or fractures. Awaiting an MRI.

So what do you guys recommend I could do at the gym? I don't really wanna give up completely going, I wanna be able to burn some calories during the day. Any help will be most appreciated!

Replies

• MeredithLee11
    MeredithLee11 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Would a recumbent bike or elliptical be too much impact for your ankle? Or does your gym have an arm-bike (if that's even what they're called) ?
  • tracybarnes1
    tracybarnes1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Rowing is pretty light on the ankles!!!
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    you might be prone to chronic bursitis (swelling of the tissue between the joints). I'd suggest hitting the pool for the next few months either swimming laps or aquafit classes. give it the proper environment and time to heal.
  • MeredithLee11
    MeredithLee11 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    you might be prone to chronic bursitis (swelling of the tissue between the joints). I'd suggest hitting the pool for the next few months either swimming laps or aquafit classes. give it the proper environment and time to heal.

Swimming is a great idea!
  • dmanakho
    dmanakho Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Do weight and resistance training instead of cardio. Find exercises that won't put much pressure on your ankles.

Many of the upper body and core exercises won't affect your ankles.
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    if your gym has a pool that would probably be the best. You can still work out and burn calories but without the impact and weight on your ankle.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Yup my gym has a recumbent bike and a pool, so I may just have to take those up. Well the pool I will have to gain a little self-confidence to go into a bathing suit LOL
  • mommymovingmountains
    mommymovingmountains Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    if your gym has a pool that would probably be the best. You can still work out and burn calories but without the impact and weight on your ankle.

I agree! The pool has my vote
  • TLC1975
    TLC1975 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Never thought of swimming but this is ideal hun...its resistance as well as cardio...mix swimming with core and upper body resistance training.......and watch the diet! Good Luck! :D
  • prov31ms
    prov31ms Posts: 62
    Options
    When my son was recovering from a broken ankle his doctor recommended the stationary bike and also gave him a stretch band and a pamphlet of exercises to re-strengthen & limber his ankle muscles.