eating well, spending less

Options
i've been watching my grocery bill increase over the last couple of months, and predictions indicate that produce prices are going to go up even more (rising cost of transportation, etc). let's start a thread for tips on how to keep the cost of groceries low while still eating well (and healthy). :) who wants to share some frugal tricks?

Replies

• godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    one thing i do is look for 'manager's special' stickers on almost-expired veggies and freeze them until i need them.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Crock pot. Make large meals for cheap. Mine usually averages $1 per serving.

Buy off brand. It's usually the exact same thing, only the off brands don't advertise.

Eat less. Simplest way to cut calories and save money.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    http://veganrockergirl.blogspot.com/2010/09/veganism-for-cheap-*kitten*-like-me.html
    I wrote this blog about keeping grocery costs down on a vegan diet, but it can easily be incorporated into any diet....keeps the focus on bulk items and where to shop in the store....hope it helps!
  • emrogers
    emrogers Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I find that veggies are pretty cheap. i.e. zucchinni, etc. So what I do, is I chop up a whole bunch and mix it in with my turkey meat or lean ground beef to double your meat protion and you get your veggies in too. I do that with mushrooms as well. My kid doesn't even have a clue!!!!!!!! HA! I also buy whole veggies, instead of the pre cut stuff or baby carrots and just chop them up myself as well, a lot cheaper.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I have actually noticed that Great Value brand has increased significantly over the last 2 months, to the point where I now buy name brands instead of off-brands. I am very price conscious and check the "per ounce" price. The past two weeks, Coleman brand milk has been cheaper than Great Value by about 10cents per gallon compared to Great Value at Walmart...Coleman used to be nearly 50cents higher.

Prices are going up on lots of stuff but there are still some companies who haven't raised prices, so I am looking at different brands of everything. I normally eat Wheat Thins, but they went up dramatically while Cheez Its didn't, so I have bought those the past few weeks.

I have also just bought as much as my freezer can handle and as much non-perishable food as my pantry can hold that I will eat before the expiration date because I don't think there will be any price relief in sight for a while.

emrogers-that is a great idea!!!
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I always feel like I'm getting more for my money, especially where veggies are involved, by keeping the ends, peels, etc that you cut off before using and putting them in a zip lock bag in my freezer. When it's full, I make my own veggie stock (when I have chicken bones, I toss those in too and make chicken stock).

Not only do I get every last dime's worth of money out of my veggies, but I control the amount of sodium in my stock, it freezes well and as such, I can usually replace at least 2 (and sometimes 3) boxes of stock with this. With stock being $3-4/box, those veggies ends and peels, etc. end up saving me around $10 each time I make it ... and with items I used to just throw away. :)
  • blakgarnet
    blakgarnet Posts: 343
    Options
    I go to my farmer's market when the season allows (and by in season produce when at the grocery store). If I'm going to be spending more on food, I'd rather it go to a farmer in my area where he might then be spending money locally, then to a national company's CEO's pocket. I have a great local farmer's market, but it isn't the cheapest at times, however, the farmer's market I used to go to in Los Angeles had some amazing deals!
  • godblessourhome
    Options
    I always feel like I'm getting more for my money, especially where veggies are involved, by keeping the ends, peels, etc that you cut off before using and putting them in a zip lock bag in my freezer. When it's full, I make my own veggie stock (when I have chicken bones, I toss those in too and make chicken stock).

Not only do I get every last dime's worth of money out of my veggies, but I control the amount of sodium in my stock, it freezes well and as such, I can usually replace at least 2 (and sometimes 3) boxes of stock with this. With stock being $3-4/box, those veggies ends and peels, etc. end up saving me around $10 each time I make it ... and with items I used to just throw away. :)

awesome!
  • godblessourhome
    Options
    keep 'em comin'.
  • jessicafreake
    Options
    bump saving this for later
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options

I just checked out the brokeandhealthy.com , I love it already. Its so rare to find recipes with pictures!!!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Buy frozen vegetables over fresh for things where quality doesn't suffer vs. fresh (frozen spinach is great and CHEAP).

Cabbage is a dirt cheap vegetable and so versatile. Stuffed cabbage, moo shu, sauteed, braised...

Shop the store's ads...if broccoli is on sale this week, design your meal plan around it. Broccoli soup, stir fry, etc.

Stock up on meats you like when on sale and freeze into portions.

Stock up on ANYTHING you like when it is on sale- I always do this with yogurt.

The recipe section of EatingWell.com has a "cheap meals" section. All of their recipes are healthy, balanced, and they provide the calories, fat, sodium, etc. for each meal.
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Plant a garden or volunteer on a farm
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    Dont buy from chain stores...... buy veggies, dairy, meat from local farmer's markets

http://www.eatwild.com/products/index.html
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    Dont buy from chain stores...... buy veggies, dairy, meat from local farmer's markets

http://www.eatwild.com/products/index.html
  • Crystal_Rudolph
    Crystal_Rudolph Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    A trick I have learned is to buy when on sale, even if I am not out of it. This way I am spending smaller amounts more often, instead of spending huge amounts every grocery trip. It is easier to come up with $40 every couple of days instead of $200 every week. :)
  • lipt8611
    lipt8611 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It's time consuming and a hassle, but I find it very worth it to shop around and check all the supermarkets in the area. I'm lucky enough to have nearly every major supermarket in a 10 minute drive to my house. I have been known to run to 3 different supermarkets in a row to buy things on sale. I only buy produce when it is on sale. Also, I agree with the other postings- buy frozen! Stock up when it's on sale. Clip your coupons for frozen veggies (there are plenty) and find a store that doubles mfr's coupons. Go on the supermarket's website and see if they offer additional coupons for sale products. Yesterday I purchased 4 boxes of General Mills cereals for a whopping $2 total.

I shop Trader Joe's about 2x a month and stock up- you can get bulk bags of fruit for cheap (last time I was there I got a large bag of d'anjou pears for about $3.00, there was at least a dozen pears in it) ---BUT, be careful with some TJ's products- they SEEM cheap but can be found cheaper at larger supermarkets (one example that sticks out- teriyake sauce). I also purchase bags of frozen strawberries at TJ's for $1.99 and add those to oatmeal and my greek yogurt for lunch.

Target's grocery department can have great prices, too. You have to shop around and be aware, of course, but there are some items that are dollars cheaper than a supermarket when not on sale. For example, Thomas's light english muffins- the 100 calorie ones- are rarely on sale at the grocery store (it's usually the original only) and in my area can be up to $6 when not on sale. I recently purchased these from target NOT on sale for something like $2.25.
    Often times, the cheap foods are the unhealthy ones- like pasta and processed snacks and junk- but more and more stores are trying to appeal to the "healthy" crowd- which is great for us!

Sorry for the rant, I could go on and on about bargain food shopping- this has become my role in my household! I thrive off of a good bargain!
  • emariec78
    emariec78 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggies are a great inexpensive option. Also buying local to avoid those extra transportation costs is more cost effective and has a whole bunch of other non-diet related benefits for your communtiy. I'm in CO and the grocery stores, even the big chains, specifically label the CO ones. I would assume they do this elsewhere. If you're not picky (which I'm not) it can be a great way to save some cash on fresh fruits and veggies.

I also usually plan my meals around what produce and meat is on sale each week, that way there's no surprise giant bill at the checkout! It does take a little time to look through the ads and find recipes, but it really has been saving me money.

Great idea to share this info!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    I shop the sales for the week and use to make my meals.I use a crockpot alot for the cheaper meats.I buy frozen veg when on sale and cheaper than fresh.Plan on a garden this year to save on fresh veg.Use coupons if I need the items.
    Good luck!Thanks for sharing.
    jane