How do you resist when your DH eats junk!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I leave the room, sometimes the floor, and occasionally the house
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    My DH is very small and in fact trying to "gain weight" he has a really fast metabolism and burns off whatever he eats. He bought me a salad the other day and him and my kids a large cheese pizza which is a treat for my kids.. they rarely have pizza... i was seriously so tempted smelling it right in front of me all i would have to do is take a piece.... but i didn't! I did open the box and sniffed it though i know probably torturing myself since i knew i couldn't have it.

But how do you deal with these situations when people eat this food in front of you?? I've been doing so good but have had some cravings here and there.. one of them is the Reeces peanut butter egg sitting in the drawer right near my bed!! But i haven't touched one since starting my lifestyle change yet. On the other hand i have been finding some healthy food i really like that i never thought i would... i love the triscuit whole wheat roasted garlic crackers, i love the 5 grain cheerios, i like skim milk, i actually like the seasonings like mrs dash that i put on my chicken last night, i don't mind the corn without the added salt, butter isn't a must for me anymore.

Also let's talk Easter.. everyone knows that Easter is full of candy, and well junk food. My mom may be coming over and wants a glazed honey ham.. we are talking SERIOUS fat & cholesterol... plus add in the mashed potatoes, butter, milk, cake, etc and my mom makes an additional glaze loaded with brown sugar. I love honey ham.. that and pasta seem to be my weaknesses i can eat and eat and eat... what do i do?? Should i try to take like 1 piece or avoid it all together for fear of overeating?

It all depends on you personally.

I HAVE CRAVINGS like its my job. I love food. For me, Im learning to eat what I want/like in moderation. For example, tonight my bf and I are meeting my close friend at the place we used to work together...Buffalo Wild Wings. The food is horrible for you. Its all friend or doused with cheese (for the most part). After some research, however, I found I can have 6 wings in one of my favorite sauces (Mango Habanero) for just 300 calories. I can easily fit this into my diet without killing my calories (err...not so much with the sodium). If I workout after class, because with my meals planned out already for the day, I can probably also have a small portion of chips and cheese as well.

Its all about balance and moderation. Could I smash 12 wings and a large order of chips with cheese, extra cheese, absolutely. However, I know its not good for me. Therefore, special occasions, and only if I know I have the calories to spare. I have the ability to tell myself "no" which not everybody has the ability to do once they start eating certain foods.
  • Mynewyearsvow
    Mynewyearsvow Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The holidays are always the time to have fatty foods for some reason. My suggestion is to look up healthier versions of the foods everyone loves to eat at your get together. Or start new traditions and make completely new sides. I would suggest a mixture of the same thing your family always eats, a healthier version of a few, and some new sides, just so no one rebels against the "new" food.

As for the pizza and other loves, I too believe in moderation. For most people. It all depends on your personal mind and body. Just like a beer or glass of wine in moderation is a good thing, but not to an alcoholic. If every time you try to eat something unhealthy in moderation, and every time you overeat, then you should stay away from it. Or give yourself 2 meals a week, or 1 day a month, whatever you can handle, where you focus only on exercise, and not so much calories for that one meal. This way you can indulge a little, work it off, and the next day get right back on track!

I would just like to point out that salads are not always healthy either. The dressing alone is usually more calories than a slice of pizza, and iceberg lettuce has no nutritional value. Unless your eating spinach leaves, lots and lots of vegetables, and oil and vinegar dressing, the slice (one slice, not 3) is probably equivalent. I've also read/heard that the crust is the bad part, so just eat the toppings and cheese off the top of the pizza, and not the crust.

I understand this struggle, and wish you the best of luck!
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options

It works if we think about this "diet" being a "lifestyle change" not just a "diet".

Well said. Its is definitely a lifestyle change. I found my grocery cart this week filled with seafood (salmon, shrimp, and crab meat), lean meats (boneless pork chops and chicken), veggies, fruits, and a couple dairy products (fat free milk and yogurt). Before, there would have been bread galore, pasta for every meal, and something else horrible. My grocery trips used to be shorter because I went out to eat 5 nights a week. However, now my grocery bills are larger, but my eating and health is HUGE!
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Hey I wanted to share a trick that actually seems to work. Rather than trying not to think about the food, imagine yourself eating a bunch of it. Especially if you can smell it you can take yourself through the whole exercise. It actually helps! Here's the proof:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/notrocketscience/2010/12/09/curb-those-food-cravings-by-imagining-yourself-eating-lots-of-food/

I believe in moderation as well, but I can't have gluten so I sometimes pretend I am eating other people's pizza and bread... :tongue:
  • mrsbullard21
    Options
    My husband is skinny and eats like a 5 year old child. He's extremely picky and mainly only eats pizza (pizza rolls, pizza subs...), chicken tenders, macaroni and cheese, and any form of potatoes. That said, it's hard for me to eat a salad when he's chowing down on a half bag of pizza rolls and they smell SO. YUMMY.

I've just started with my lifestyle change, and so I really don't have any tips or tricks for keeping my fingers off the hubby's plate...but last night I was presented with that opportunity. I made a bag of steamed veggies with some cheese and lots of seasoning and a turkey sandwich, and I ate that in the living room while he ate in our bedroom. I figured by doing that I could take my time eating and be able to get the "full feeling," rather than scarfing down my food and still thinking I'm hungry and wandering into the land of pizza rolls and regrets.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Do you allow yourself small portions of the things you love? What helps me is to remember that I can have a little of something today, and tomorrow, if I choose, I can have a little more! I would have cut 1 slice in half and had it along with my salad, then allowed myself a small treat that I really wanted afterward.

Easter doesn't have to be a problem! You can have a few oz of ham. 6 oz of honey baked ham is only 300 cals. Trim the visible fat and eat it (skip the extra glaze, you don't need it)! Make sure you bring some yummy sides to the table for yourself (or everyone!). How about a nice sweet potato with cinnamon & splenda brown sugar and a side of veggies that you like? Bake a yummy dessert that you can have. Fill up on a big salad or fruit salad. You don't want to completely deny yourself or you will just chuck it and pig out. You MUST teach yourself to make a plan that you can live with for the day and then stick with it! Remind yourself that tomorrow is another day and save yourself another serving of dessert for then. Here's a great recipe:
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/04/pineapple-bliss-cupcakes.html#more

Throw that peanut butter egg away and get yourself some mini peanut butter cups. Put them in the freezer and have 2 after lunch and 2 after dinner every day for a week. Remind yourself after each time that you will get 2 more after the next lunch or dinner. The next week, if you can, go down to 1 after each meal. You need to train yourself to enjoy small portions of the food you love and be satisfied with that, knowing you can have more later. If you don't, than this is just a diet and eventually, diets end. (Caveat: If you have a serious food addiction, you may need professional help with this.)

Last thing...if you want more food, WORK for it! Get out there and take a brisk walk to earn that extra helpings worth of calories! You can do this!!!!
  • Natalie0506
    Natalie0506 Posts: 163
    Options
    My husband is a huge candy eater. I simply told him that he can have whatever he wants, just don't ask me if I want any. And it helps that he eats it while I work out. Makes it look very unappetizing. LOL. And it's also about your personal mind set. I've found that I can have very little sugar, so I try to avoid all of it. Easter will probably be my one day this month that I seriously indulge myself. Once in a while isn't going to hurt you!