How come?

Jackie_W
Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm eating a lot healthier now, lost 2 stone, drink plenty of water every day, eat at least 5 portions of fruit & veg per day, always opt for wholemeal as apposed to white bread, yet... I'm constipated - it's doing my head in, I think I need to pay a visit to the loo, but when I get there, the urge goes :grumble:

Any ideas where I'm going wrong, or how I can improve my digestive system without taking even more tables?

Thanks for taking thje time to read this :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Jackie_W
    I'm eating a lot healthier now, lost 2 stone, drink plenty of water every day, eat at least 5 portions of fruit & veg per day, always opt for wholemeal as apposed to white bread, yet... I'm constipated - it's doing my head in, I think I need to pay a visit to the loo, but when I get there, the urge goes :grumble:

Any ideas where I'm going wrong, or how I can improve my digestive system without taking even more tables?

Thanks for taking thje time to read this :flowerforyou:
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Try adding prunes to your diet, Cyber....it worked for me.:flowerforyou:
  • kelhun1
    kelhun1 Posts: 183 Member
    I've noticed that if I cut my fat intake too drastically (even if I'm doing everything else right) I end up constipated. The only thing that seems to help is taking a stool softener (Colace). If you figure out a better fix, let me know...
  • Jackie_W
    Try adding prunes to your diet, Cyber....it worked for me.:flowerforyou:

Think I will, I was thinknig of these, but not really keen on them, but if it does the trick .... :drinker:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    I eat a little box of raisens every day. I think it helps.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    I noticed this too...well not the urge...but that my...movements have changed from what they used to be, makes me worried:grumble:
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Hmmm....try yogurt? Has the microbes you need to digest stuff....just be sure to get the stuff with active cultures. Won't hurt.
    Prunes are always a good idea, I don't know what you have available but Sunkist makes some that are flavor 'enhanced' with orange...YUMMY! I don't keep them around 'cuz I'd eat way too many.

Also there's always that warm drink in the morning, lots of folk like coffee( think the caffeine helps 'kick' start the digestive system) but anything warm like tea or lemon water seems to work.

One more thought...relax...there's a book of simple crosswords in our loo...sometimes just letting my body function while I'm engrossed in "9 across starting with ' q ' helps."
    Hope some thing doe's the trick......

00020073.gif
  • I always had a problem with constipation and a health care worker turned me on to magnesium capsules which I've been using for over 3 years - and no longer have the problem! Also, activia yogurt helps - but I really recommend the magnesium - play around with the dosage for your own system as .... it really works! I take 800 mg but that may be too much - let us know how it works!
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Somebody else said the magnesium thing yesterday. I might have to try that.
  • Jackie_W
    I've heard of adding magnesium, it'll be ok as long as it doesn't play around with my diabetes or cholesterol - only just got them under control :laugh:
  • GaoLee
    GaoLee Posts: 65
    Cheap Target fiber pill works too. It also makes me full so I don't over eat. I take 1 pill 30 to 60 minutes before each meal. My doctor says you can take them as long as you like... it does not hurt you in any way.
  • Jackie_W
    Cheap Target fiber pill works too. It also makes me full so I don't over eat. I take 1 pill 30 to 60 minutes before each meal. My doctor says you can take them as long as you like... it does not hurt you in any way.

My doc warned me not to take fibre tablets, due to the diabetes :grumble:
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    I take a Flax seed oil pill every day (instead of stool softeners - my doc said it will help without being something "unnatural", plus it's good for your heart) and I also purchase the "Double Fiber" bread. When all else fails, I have found that my body treats sweet potatoes and yams as a laxative, so I serve that up as my veggie at dinner....
  • Try making high fiber food choices and make sure to drink plenty of water as you increase fiber. Also, I eat yogurt with live cultures and that really helps - although when you start eating the yogurt it may take a few days for your body to adjust.
This discussion has been closed.